Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th February 2012, 22:25   #1
RoryRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Con SE CDTi tourer

Default Rear tyre wear

While checking over Rory at the weekend I noticed both rear tyres were wearing heavily on the outside shoulder. I have not seen this before on rear tyres - but as the tyre presures are OK I presume I have some sort of alignment issue on the rear wheels.

First thought is to go and have the car checked at a 4 wheel alignment centre ( I have been reccomended a firm called Nottingham Alignment Services ) but if they do find an alignment problem - how would they fix it.

At the front I know the tracking is easy to adjust (but in this case the front tyres are fine) but are there similar adjustments possible on the rear ?

Has anyone had similar problems - and if so how did you fix them ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TyreWear.jpg (78.0 KB, 80 views)
RoryRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 22:36   #2
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryRover View Post
While checking over Rory at the weekend I noticed both rear tyres were wearing heavily on the outside shoulder. I have not seen this before on rear tyres - but as the tyre presures are OK I presume I have some sort of alignment issue on the rear wheels.

First thought is to go and have the car checked at a 4 wheel alignment centre ( I have been reccomended a firm called Nottingham Alignment Services ) but if they do find an alignment problem - how would they fix it.

At the front I know the tracking is easy to adjust (but in this case the front tyres are fine) but are there similar adjustments possible on the rear ?

Has anyone had similar problems - and if so how did you fix them ?

i had the passenger side rear tyre wear really quickly when i first got the car ,i had the wheels balanced and 4 wheel laser tracking done and the tyres looked like they did the first day they was fitted ,that was over 2 years
Old 27th February 2012, 22:38   #3
Avid contributor

zt-t190 ztCdti zt190 ROVER75 CONNIE SE

Wink your tyre malady

whilst having new tyres fitted a while ago the guy fitting them asked if i had suffered any probs with rear tyres as he used to work for the local rover dealership and they had countless zt's in with peculiar wear patterns on the rear tyres after much experimentation a greater degree of fault was tracked down to the rear hubs/wheel bearings not seated correctly presumably this led to the wheels running out of true its only an idea not gospel so maybe a place to start good luck in your quest
Old 28th February 2012, 12:19   #4
yelnats
Avid contributor

MGZT-T CDTI+135 AUTO

If you decide that tracking is the cause,take it to:

McEwans Garage,Derby.(est.1982)
01332 3426829
[email protected].

Ainsley knows what he's doing and will diagnose your problem.
Has state of the art digital imaging 4 wheel alignment equipment.
yelnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 13:49   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

After getting mine laser tracked -twice by MGR depots - and not really satisfied, I bought a Gunson Trakrite sheer gauge. I was quite amazed to find how much the rears were still sheering on the road surface. It only needed a tweek on the radius arm to eliminate it and ever since the wear is textbook even. Car drives better too.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 15:03   #6
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

I have noticed uneven wear on my NSR tyre, so intend to replace it. I need to get the tracking done, £30 apparently.

Incidentally, when I went to National tyres, they wanted about £120 to replace the tyre, but the same tyre on their website is £84 fitted by the same National branch.

I then booked with the AA, who charge £78 for the same tyre. The fitters are....the same National Tyre depot
Old 1st March 2012, 18:39   #7
roymaskrey

rover 75 tourer

Default roryrover rear tracking on 75 can be adusted on the arms to body it as slots in

rear traking on 75 can be adjusted on the arms to bod y undue nut and pull it out must be on 4wheel tracking system
roymaskrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 19:18   #8
Kiltman
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTi 135 / Rover 75 Club SE 160

Just noticed the same problem on mine! Oh joy, more expense! Thanks for the good advice though (as usual)!
Kiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 20:18   #9
GP1005
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTI

T-Cut - I have purchased the trakrite. Could you give a description of how you used it please? I have purchased the magnetic version so maybe this does not work so easily. Thanks

Last edited by GP1005; 1st March 2012 at 21:08..
GP1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 22:04   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1005 View Post
T-Cut - I have purchased the trakrite. Could you give a description of how you used it please? I have purchased the magnetic version so maybe this does not work so easily. Thanks
I'm not familiar with a magnetic version. I assume it's basically the TrakRite shear gauge which you place on the road and drive the wheels over one at a time. As the tyre rolls over the shear plate, it will twist it slightly sideways if the tyre isn't perfectly aligned with the direction of travel. The twist is translated into a visual reading on a dial pointer. Instructions are included with the kit so I guess that's not what you're actually asking.

If the rear tyres are scuffing, you can reset the toe by slackening the front mounting plate of the trailing arm. The plate has slotted holes and lugs to allow you to move it in or out. There's a special MGR tool to do this but I just tapped it with a large screwdriver/mallet. Each time you move the mounting, it should be nipped up with the three bolts and tested with the gauge. It's quite easy to get a 'zero' shear reading. You then torque up the bolts and do the other side.

Before doing all this, I would advise having laser tracking done first. This will set the thrust angle for the car correctly. After that the tuning of the toe setting is miniscule, so won't affect the thrust angle. It will however find your particular car's sweet spot and the drive may well be improved.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 1st March 2012 at 22:06..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote