Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Traders Shops & Members Spares For-Sale > Members Own Spares For Sale
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12th March 2012, 06:36   #1
Aletank
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 2ltr CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Default Ramps - Group Buy

As a follow on to this thread http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=107282

Hi Guys
I've been looking into buyin a decent set of Ramps for Maintenance, I've looked in Machine Mart, Halfords etc but it's hard to find some quality ones.
I've been looking for some that are Wide enough for my 245/10 Inch rear tyres and some that have a Low Incline to stop the front of the car catching/scraping.
I've came across these Extra Wide Car Ramps, Low Profile Car Ramps for low cars, heavy duty ramp, extra high, Car Display Ramps.
I've been in touch with the company and they will do a Forum Group Buy discount. I'm going to post this on MbClub.co.uk , This will help get the numbers quicker across the 2 forums.
The discounts are -
5% off for 5 Sets
10% off for 10 Sets
15% off for 15 Sets
The official price is £225 for a 300mm Wide, Low Incline Ramp with a further £10 rebate for submitting a picture/review to the website.
Here's a email of the company owner Andy
Quote:
I was in the same position prior to opening the website, looking for car ramps that would be long and wide enough for my car. As a welder to trade i decided to build my own ramps, designing a ramp that’s larger and stronger than ramps of a similar price range.
Quote:

Since opening the website i have received feedback from customers, as a result i am always updating my ramps to meet customer requirements. The new ramps i am working on now are an updated design of the heavy duty ramps. I have now strengthened the stands to accommodate a jacking beam (as an optional extra).

The new ramps are made from 25x3 Angle & 40x3 angle. I have carried stress analysis models showing loads up to 3000kg on the old ramps and secondry tests on the new ramps showing better rigidity. They are built with vertical and horizontal bracing bars made up of 25mm angle.

The new heavy duty ramps have been extended from 1200mm to 1500mm reducing the entry angle to 10° allowing the lowest of cars to clear the ramp. I have incorporated 40mm angle on the stands and reduced the gap between the angles on the ramp for a smoother ascent. I have incorporated angle supports on the ramp to increase strength and extended the height of the end plate on the stands.

The benefits to our ramps are as follows

• Removable ramp.
• Low entry angle for sports suspension.
• Extra wide for larger tyres.
• Ramp pivots on stands to allow for uneven surfaces.
• Larger base footprint to prevent toppling.

For every new design i carry out Finite element analysis, a 3d cad model analyzed for twist and stress. The software carries out simulations of load on a component and allows me to add features to strengthen the structure to improve on rigidity.

I custom build each ramp to suit a specific vehicle and although £225 may sound expensive, building a set of ramps requires hours of cutting, welding and painting. For the cost of £225 you get a set of custom ramps delivered painted in your chosen colour and if you submit a picture to our website we will take £10 off.

The website is new and we are in the process of collecting customer images and reviews, i am hoping to have the website updated with the new ramps and customer reviews at the end of the month.

Thanks for the interest in our product and hope to hear from you soon
I have no conection with this company, I'm just trying to get the cost down for myself and others !
Here's some pictures of the latest Heavy Duty Ramps

Any questions please post here or directly to Andy [email protected]

I'll start the ball rolling by adding my name
1- Aletank
2-
3-
4-
5-
Member No - 962

Last edited by Aletank; 12th March 2012 at 06:45..
Old 12th March 2012, 17:07   #2
baconbuttyman
Banned

wow, thats expensive for some metal ramps, to pricey for me
Old 12th March 2012, 17:37   #3
Canon
Gets stuck in

75 Connie Auto CDTi SE

Duncan im after a set of ramps but even with the discount there to pricey for me mate

Mods done:
Towbar - EGR replaced with SS straight pipe - Synergy 2 - Aircon resistor replaced with JMA
- Walnut and Leather Steering Wheel - Walnut Hand Brake and Walnut Auto Gear Stick - Walnut Dash - Sean's DD Unit with DVBT - 2.0 CDT Torpedos - Boot Badge and mk1 Chrome Plinth - D Pillars - Union Alloys - X-Power Upgrade
Slowly adding pre project bits and bobs
Old 13th March 2012, 18:00   #4
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Default Pricey

I think I will want them made out of soild gold for that price.

But thanks for putting the effort in.

Ed
Old 15th March 2012, 05:24   #5
NOCTURNAL
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-260SE

I don't have room for storage to be honest and have limited access to a hoist, so they are not for me, but if you can get the 15 sets to get the 15% discount you are looking at £181 for a purpose built set of ramps.(once proven on a body-kitted 75/ZT anyway )

I'm far from loaded, but knowing the problems I had with a borrowed set of ramps a while ago, involving jacking up in stages and wood blocks etc.. It doesn't sound 'too bad' a price to me??

There are other options out there as I know I looked, but I doubt there are many cheaper.

Now if you have access to a welding plant and have the skills things may be different, but the V8 for a start is a very heavy car and she sits Looooow, so by the time you have worked out all the angles, unless you want to steal someones time spent working out the design on CAD, theres more of your time gone right there...

I'd have preferred to see a little more 40mm in the design too, but maybe thats because I'm a heavyweight myself and a couple of the angles don't make sense to me , but I'm not a design engineer and the cad program will have pseudo tested it anyway.

Sorry I garbled(I do that) but as I have a flu induced early morning rise I thought a 'reasonable' priced thread needed a little balance

I don't know the discounts available with economies of scale, but theres probably £80-£100 worth of steel in them Thar Ramps..

to temper my enthusiasm.... Yes I am feeling the pinch like everyone else so £180 is still a lot of money...

Nick

Last edited by NOCTURNAL; 15th March 2012 at 05:40.. Reason: added text.. for costs..
Old 15th March 2012, 09:42   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCTURNAL View Post
I'd have preferred to see a little more 40mm in the design too, but maybe thats because I'm a heavyweight myself and a couple of the angles don't make sense to me , but I'm not a design engineer and the cad program will have pseudo tested it anyway.
Nick
I think it is more of back of fag packet design and I think just far too expensive for a basic set of ramps. To be critical of the design, I would want the far end extended, to prevent them tipping when the end of the ramp is reached.

If I were in the market for some, I would be pestering the scrap metal places for scap Dexion. You can get tyre width Dexion 'runway' strips, angle, corner bits and etc.. which you can just initially bolt together, then weld up.

I made some long ago and they are still in use today. They are stronger, lighter and bit higher than any I have bought. They don't work directly with the 75 and previous low cars, because modern ones are much lower, so I just added a hook on extension to the ramp.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Closed Thread