Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 27th March 2012, 20:35   #11
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

Just found your posting I have not had good results with Wynns tried it 3 times in a Volvo V70 diesel I had with no joy, then found Comma engine flush, I put this in and run the car for around 60 miles over2 days and this did the job,it really quietened the engine down and also eased off the sticky and ticking vacuum pump. I would stand by this over any of the other brands around but thats just what I have found.
Old 28th March 2012, 03:45   #12
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Exclamation Engine Flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazmo65 View Post
Just found your posting I have not had good results with Wynns tried it 3 times in a Volvo V70 diesel I had with no joy, then found Comma engine flush, I put this in and run the car for around 60 miles over2 days and this did the job,it really quietened the engine down and also eased off the sticky and ticking vacuum pump. I would stand by this over any of the other brands around but thats just what I have found.
Do they actually recommend DRIVING it with the flushing oil ???????
NOTE:- The later Rover spec for recommended oill (& BMW) is 5W/30, 5W/40 or 0W/40
to ACEA A3 & B3. I would suggest Magnatec is not a good example of a synthetic oil. It is popular because of the advertising.
I would have thought the thinner oils above were more suitable for the lifter problem. (I think only Mobil 1 is 0W/40 but not 100% sure. Anyway, it's B expensive and for normal servicing is a bit OTT.

Last edited by crofts; 28th March 2012 at 03:46.. Reason: Removed ! URL
Old 28th March 2012, 06:50   #13
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofts View Post
Do they actually recommend DRIVING it with the flushing oil ???????
NOTE:- The later Rover spec for recommended oill (& BMW) is 5W/30, 5W/40 or 0W/40
to ACEA A3 & B3. I would suggest Magnatec is not a good example of a synthetic oil. It is popular because of the advertising.
I would have thought the thinner oils above were more suitable for the lifter problem. (I think only Mobil 1 is 0W/40 but not 100% sure. Anyway, it's B expensive and for normal servicing is a bit OTT.
+1 to this one
Make sure it is a fully synthetic oil used.

Many lifters get sticky over time because of the use of mineral or semisynthetic oils in combination with short trips. This applies to nearly all motors with hydraulic lifters.
An engine flush migth sometimes help, but it could be discussed what effect this have on the lifters as there is little or no oil circulation through them and there is not much work the flushing agent are able to do on this area in 20 mins.

I would still try a fully synthetic oil and give the car a some highway driving a few times/week to bring the oil temperature up so it is able to loose the "gunk" in the lifters and clean them up.
Old 28th March 2012, 07:06   #14
baconbuttyman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
+1 to this one
Make sure it is a fully synthetic oil used.

Many lifters get sticky over time because of the use of mineral or semisynthetic oils in combination with short trips. This applies to nearly all motors with hydraulic lifters.
An engine flush migth sometimes help, but it could be discussed what effect this have on the lifters as there is little or no oil circulation through them and there is not much work the flushing agent are able to do on this area in 20 mins.

I would still try a fully synthetic oil and give the car a some highway driving a few times/week to bring the oil temperature up so it is able to loose the "gunk" in the lifters and clean them up.
Ok it's too late to try the thinner oil now as I have done it already, but will have an other go in time, after I know this one is either successful or not, the thinner oil idea makes sense actually, one thing I did this time over last time was to run the flush at high revs
Old 28th March 2012, 08:25   #15
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

If you've done all the flushing techniques, which are , IMHO a good straws to clutch at before having the bite the bullet.

try to Identify the noisy one (s) and get them out, strip them down clean them out. its really the only way ?

to sort this out now . a real pain having to take the cams out though..

C..
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 28th March 2012 at 08:27..
Old 28th March 2012, 08:35   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofts View Post
Do they actually recommend DRIVING it with the flushing oil ?
In the case of Comma Flushing Oil, which temporarily replaces the engine oil, no they definitely don't. The instructions are clear on the label that the engine should only be run at something like a fast idle.
However I think some flushing agents are additives, and Wynn's may be one of these. I've never been convinced that adding something to contaminated engine oil is going to be beneficial so I always use Comma when necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
An engine flush might sometimes help, but ... there is little or no oil circulation through them and there is not much work the flushing agent are able to do on this area in 20 mins.
I would still try a fully synthetic oil and ... bring the oil temperature up so it is able to loose the "gunk" in the lifters and clean them up.
That's an interesting view. So you believe that a high temperature service lubricant is more effective at removing contamination than a specific detergent flushing oil? Also, if there is "little or no circulation" through the hydraulic tappets, how can the fully synthetic oil do what you claim?

Simon.
Old 28th March 2012, 08:40   #17
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

mick is this the problem that started after the hgf was done ,if so then the lifter could well be blocked and was not cleaned during the hgf repair . if it is that then the only way your going o sort it is be removing the noisey one and cleaning it ....
Old 28th March 2012, 09:23   #18
baconbuttyman
Banned

hmmm, it did come on after the hgf, although not immidiately, about a month later
Old 28th March 2012, 09:30   #19
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Try a good diesel specific oil. Use one for PD engines, they have extra ingredients because the VW PD engines have hideous sludging issues. Its a well proven method of cleaning out engines that works wonders.

If none of this works it may simply be a faulty lifter and nothing you will add will fix it.
Old 29th March 2012, 05:15   #20
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
Try a good diesel specific oil. Use one for PD engines, they have extra ingredients because the VW PD engines have hideous sludging issues. Its a well proven method of cleaning out engines that works wonders.

If none of this works it may simply be a faulty lifter and nothing you will add will fix it.
Funny. as I was reading throught he posts thought back to my batchelor days when I ran my cars on a diesel grade oil, because I could get it for free.
But you are right, there are additional detergents in these which will probably do a better job than a flushing oil.

I have never used a flushing oil, but one things for sure. I would neither drive with it in or run the engine at more than a fast idle. It's prime function is to flush, not to lubricate.
Closed Thread