Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th October 2018, 17:23   #1
smabious
Regular poster

MG ZT 160+ & MG6

Default bodywork rust and why

I've noticed a tiny rust bubble on my NSF wing which quickly went to 3 rust bubbles. I know these aren't new cars now but somehow I'm still not expecting bodywork rust to start coming through !

The only other bodywork rust I've had was bizarrely a door finisher/pillar when the car was just 3 years old - it was easily replaced many years ago.

Anyway, I thought something is going on behind the wing so I pulled back the wheel arch liner for a quick look and found a wiring loom pushed up against the inner wing must have trapped moisture/condensation over time and has caused the corrosion. I have tied the loom back away and treated the area temporarily until I have the time to sort it. Luckily the loom looks OK.

Thought I'd share just in case this heavy loom isn't cabled tied away from the wing on other ZT/75's and might be worth a look ...

Scott.

Old 10th October 2018, 17:34   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

You'd better check the sill just in front of the rear wheels then
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2018, 19:47   #3
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

Buy an S Type Jag then you will know what rust is its just as well its hidden behind under trays and sill covers
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2018, 19:53   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

That wing has been repainted before

It's fairly unlikely that the wiring to the side repeater has caused those blebs to appear, more likely whatever that was done in the past to rectify a paintwork defect

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2018, 20:43   #5
smabious
Regular poster

MG ZT 160+ & MG6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
That wing has been repainted before

It's fairly unlikely that the wiring to the side repeater has caused those blebs to appear, more likely whatever that was done in the past to rectify a paintwork defect

Brian

You're right Brian, I had some scuffs/scratches repaired a while ago on the wing but that was near the bottom - not this particular area.

I've had the car 14 years and no other work / damage has happened in that time. The first 12 months of its life was as a MGR demo car for Lookers who I bought it from so maybe there is some history during that initial period. Over time I have noticed a few things around the area; firstly the NSF passenger door pillar I mentioned above, also on the same door the finisher strip (from door handle to wing) lost it's lacquer (I don't actually think it had any on) and the paint started to flake off a few years ago. I assumed it wasn't 'finished' properly at the factory! All the other finishers are perfect, but who knows.

I'd be interested to know if the wiring loom is touching the inner wing on other members cars, and if so, if any corrosion is present?