Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd May 2020, 22:24   #1
ccogan

rover 75

Default Rover 75 fuel filters. Can the early metal canister one be tested

Can the early metal canister petrol fuel filter be tested for flow and can the later fuel filter unit be changed as a direct replacement?
ccogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2020, 22:27   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Why would you want to test? Just replace as part of the service schedule and all will be well
Old 22nd May 2020, 22:49   #3
ccogan

rover 75

This canister unit can be replaced. I was under the impression it was a non replaceable unit. Is this the replacement part number WJN101191 or WJN101192 Rover K Series (All) Fuel Filter - WJN101191 / WJN101192 (200/400/25/45/ZR/ZS/F/TF) I found this on the dmgrs website
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:25   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccogan View Post
Can the early metal canister petrol fuel filter ... Is this the replacement part number WJN101191 or WJN101192 Rover K Series (All) Fuel Filter ...
Chris, are you referring to your 2001 75 KV6? The fuel filter is not metal and both part numbers you mention are incorrect for your car (note that the 75 isn't included in your application list).

What problem are you experiencing? The early filter unit is trouble-free. The later two part design can loosen leading to a reduction in fuel pressure. The solution to that is simply to tighten it and fit the security clip. You shouldn't need to replace either of them. In my experience petrol filters are a precautionary measure. As the 75/ZT fuel tank is plastic, it's extremely unlikely that they'll catch anything. The filter element may discolour but note that MGR doesn't specify renewal at any time as part of the service schedule. Manufacturers don't usually miss an opportunity to sell parts so I think that speaks for itself!

Simon
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:13   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Can the early metal canister petrol fuel filter be tested for flow and can the later fuel filter unit be changed as a direct replacement?
To answer your specific questions, the easiest way to check that the filter element is functioning is to measure the fuel delivery pressure at the test valve on the fuel rail. This can be done by rigging up a dial gauge connected to the Schrader valve. At a pinch, a mechanical tyre pressure gauge has been used. Clearly, this requires some safety preparation and caution. If ithe pressure is 50psi or more, the filter is fine. If the pressure is less than 50psi, the filter may be leaking or blocked, but both are extremely unlikely. It's more likely to be pump related. The earlier filter module can't be swapped with the later version.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 00:45   #6
ccogan

rover 75

Car would drive a few miles to the shops for example. Come back 20 mins later and will not start. Come back an hour later and it will start and off we go.
This has been happening more and more and finally I decided to try and find the fault. I am waiting on a tester for the fuel rail to arrive very shortly. I hear the fuel pump start up on turning the key and I agree the fuel rail is the first place to go.Is this a common problem with not starting some times. Do fuel pumps go flaky?? Ideas greatly appreciated. This car has only travelled 120000kms and is in great condition, or was....
Old 24th May 2020, 07:31   #7
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

Might be the cam sensor, if it's a v6, I had a similar problem on my 2.0 v6, that caught me out once after pulling into a garage to fill up and it wouldn't restart, i had to push it away from the pumps , someone helped me but i got the usual it's a rover it's probably the head gasket, talk. Of course i had to explain it was a v6 and he was amazed that they did such engines. After about an hour it restarted no problem, needless to say it was replaced pronto.
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 07:53   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Do fuel pumps go flaky?
Not on the petrol engines Chris, no. The fuel pump will either work or it won't and you've heard yours working.

Gazmo's suggestion is much more likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazmo65 View Post
Might be the cam sensor, if it's a v6 ...
It's a known fault for the cam sensor to fail when the engine is warm, then recover as it cools.

Simon