Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th June 2021, 18:56   #1
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

MK1 Connie SE 2.0CDTi Tourer

Default Retro-fit cruise control. Doesn't work :-(

Hi All,

So I decided to fit cruise control on my MKII 2.0CDTi after I noticed that I have the loom. Sourced all the parts, even a dash panel with the right number of holes (3).
Fitted and connected it all up (was fun cutting the steering wheel for the cruise buttons), but it doesn't work.
The little green light on the cruise master button comes on, but I cannot set a speed. Once above 30 mph, pressing the + SET button did nothing, pressing the RES button put the cruise light on the dash, but would not hold a speed, even if I then pressed the + SET button.

Connected up TOAF and it showed cruise control as disabled in the engine settings, enabled it and hit save. Now shows as active, but still does not work. No dash light at all now, whatever buttons I press. Green light on the master switch on the dash still comes on though.

Anyone have any ideas please?

Edit - to confirm what parts - the control unit near the fusebox with it's bracket, connected up the little black connector in there, the master switch in the centre console, and the switches on the steering wheel. All the wiring was already in place. Could I have a faulty + SET switch? it clicks nicely, but is there a way to test it?

Last edited by TriumphStag; 17th June 2021 at 18:58..
TriumphStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2021, 19:59   #2
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Have you checked the clutch switch if its a manual? If not it'll most likely be that, especially if the clutch has been changed at some point as the switch always gets knocked out of place.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2021, 20:02   #3
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Have you checked that the switch on the clutch pedal is making correctly? I sometimes have to put my foot under the clutch pedal and lift it up in order for the cruise to work.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2021, 21:38   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Have you coded the car with toaf for anything as that can reverse the set and resume operation, I have seen it a few times.
Old 17th June 2021, 22:28   #5
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

Thanks, will check the clutch pedal once it stops raining :-(

No, haven't coded anything with TOAF - this is the first time I have ever pressed save on it - have only used it for a nosey around so far.
Old 18th June 2021, 09:02   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

As other have mentioned the clutch pedl switch. slide yur hand up the back of the clutch pedal, at the top or there abouts you should feel the switch. You may need to push it back into its holder, push it towards the back of the car.

Your cruise control will only work in part without the car being programmed. The resume function will not work. you will need to turn it off at the centre console and then back on again then set the speed

good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2021, 18:44   #7
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

Thanks all, it was indeed the clutch pedal switch. I was a little confused at first as I was expecting to see a clicky switch type of thing, not a hall effect probe, spent several minutes operating the clutch pedal by hand whilst contorted in the footwell trying to work out what the top of the clutch pedal was making contact with

Also made ever so slightly more difficult by my car actually having the footwell trim above the pedals to remove first (first time I have seen one still there!)

Pushed the sensor back into place and cruise now works perfectly. The programming in TOAF obviously worked.

Thanks again.

So now I have a MKII Club spec with heated, memory leather seats and cruise control :-) Things are improving!
Old 20th June 2021, 20:41   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

A good thing to have, cruise control.---I use mine all the time over here in France. We have so many long straight roads and the traffic is very light except in town centers. It saves having to keep your foot in one place all the time on the throttle pedal.--Wouldn't be without it now.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote