Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2010, 10:31   #1
ade75

rover 75 classic cdt se

Default Intank Fuel Pumps

Could anyone tell me if the intank pumps for the petrol and diesel models are compatible? I realise the configuration/set up may differ but what about the actual pump itself?
ade75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 12:00   #2
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

CDT Tourer (SORN) & 2.0 V6 Saloon

They are certainly different part numbers which suggests they are incompatible, and I think the way the fuel is collected and "swirled" round the tank is different. The petrol unit has an integral filter mounted to the assembly, whilst the diesel filter is 'neath bonnet. As to the motor and rotating bits, I couldn't say 100%, but I think the diesel delivery pressure is higher than the petrol.
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 13:21   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The petrol and diesel pumps aren't interchangeable. If you need a new diesel pump, this place is very well recommended: http://www.mkon.co.uk/apps/webstore/...ts/show/948874

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 16:21   #4
ade75

rover 75 classic cdt se

Intank pump is not part of the fuel delivery system, it merely keeps the fuel leveloft both chambers of the tank at an even level, therefore preventing fuel starvation to the ub pump. I have discarded my intank pump but have fitted a 'T' piece to the end of the suction pipe from the ub pump with a length of pipe into each chamber of the fuel tank, his prevents the risk of fuel starvation when tank runs low. Seems to have done the trick as I have been running for the past few days with very little fuel in tank (low fuel light on) only topping up £5 at a time, covered over 200 miles with no issues.
Saved myself at least £90 for new pump, or £150 for complete unit. plus peace of mind that there ain't no intank pump to cause problems in the future.
May be a bit premature to assume all is fine, but will post if I have a problem in the future.
Old 27th November 2010, 16:29   #5
stux99
Posted a thing or two

MG3/TF Spark/ MGTF Steppy/ MG GS

I just fitted in-tank pump from mkon, good price and service, comprehensive instructions included.
Old 27th November 2010, 16:34   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade75 View Post
Intank pump is not part of the fuel delivery system, it merely keeps the fuel leveloft both chambers of the tank at an even level, therefore preventing fuel starvation to the ub pump.
Not suggesting you are wrong for one minute, but on later cars they did away with the UB pump, so unless the tank pump is of a different design, the pump must provide some flow to the front HP pump.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 19:12   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade75 View Post
Intank pump is not part of the fuel delivery system, it merely keeps the fuel leveloft both chambers of the tank at an even level, therefore preventing fuel starvation to the ub pump.
That wouldn't explain why many diesels with a failed in-tank pump won't start/run even when the tank is full. The under-bonnet pump in the early system cannot lift fuel efficiently from the tank to bonnet level. It has to be primed by the other pump. Later systems use a stronger lift pump u/b and dispense with the one in the tank. Your modification may not last as long as you hope since the paired pumps usually fail after a similar period. Does it lift OK when the tank's getting very low?

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 27th November 2010 at 19:16..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 21:04   #8
steveharvey2001
Loves to post

Mini Cooper SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Later systems use a stronger lift pump u/b and dispense with the one in the tank.
TC
Are you sure - I thought it was the other way round - with later models dispensing with the one under bonnet ?
Old 27th November 2010, 21:05   #9
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveharvey2001 View Post
Are you sure - I thought it was the other way round - with later models dispensing with the one under bonnet ?
Thats correct the one under the bonnet was done away with
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 15:36   #10
ade75

rover 75 classic cdt se

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
That wouldn't explain why many diesels with a failed in-tank pump won't start/run even when the tank is full. The under-bonnet pump in the early system cannot lift fuel efficiently from the tank to bonnet level. It has to be primed by the other pump. Later systems use a stronger lift pump u/b and dispense with the one in the tank. Your modification may not last as long as you hope since the paired pumps usually fail after a similar period. Does it lift OK when the tank's getting very low?

TC
I can assure you that the intank pump is purely acting as a circulatory pump solely within the tank and is not connected by any means to the pick-up pipe from the UB pump.