Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd November 2011, 14:49   #1
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Default I'm not a cowboy but.....

Is it at all possible to just replace the rear springs on a ZT using spring compressors, which would be even quicker than the usual method of disconnecting the roll bar and shock?
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:25   #2
Rov5
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Rear Spring

I certainly would not try doing it with just a spring compressor,potentially dangerous,at the end of thr day it is your decision whether or not to chance doing it that way.
Rov5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:35   #3
andy willi

PRE LAUNCH 75/ZT 190/XJ 550

quick answer is nooooooooooooooo
andy willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:59   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I fitted my rear spax ones without a compressor... I know they are a tad shorter, would the few mm less make all that difference?
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:59   #5
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

that is no short cuts on jobs like that .safetly first and all that .besides hands look so much better with 4 fingers and a thumb on each
Old 22nd November 2011, 19:28   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Is it at all possible to just replace the rear springs on a ZT using spring compressors, which would be even quicker than the usual method of disconnecting the roll bar and shock?
You'd probabaly spend longer winding the spring compressors in and back out than doing the job the right way, and there isn't much room around the springs at the back.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 21:07   #7
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

Its not really that big a job it takes probably 1 1/2 hours to do both sides start to finish using the guide on the how to section plenty of WD40 on the rubber spring seat to allow you to locate it and twist it, it is quite an easy job just make sure you use axle stands under the jacking point and chock the front wheels before you start to jack the vehicle up.
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 21:22   #8
connyv6
Loves to post

75 conny

i done mine by unbolting bottom bolt of damper from hub and two bolts each side holding subframe assembly to body, very easy.
i have done a few know basically because my whole family owns rovers and mgs and 90% are 75 and zts and nearly all of us have had the rear springs snap, some quite bad and by doing the method above both sides can be done in less than half of an hour, not to tell you how to suck eggs but make sure you have right springs for your model and new rubbers for top n tail of spring REALLY help, tbh i cant see how you would fit compressor onto spring anyway in the back..hth just ask if you need anymore help.
connyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 09:35   #9
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Ok.

Thanks!

had a look last night, and although both springs are starting to lose their plastic coating at the bottom, they are not broken.

There was one issue though, the LH side I was able to make the spring exhibit a creaking noise, just by compressing it a tiny amount with my hands. I couldnt tell whether it was coming from the top isolator or the bottom, but I could feel it through the spring.

Like I said its not broken, but I DO get a creaking when I drive onto my drive, so I would think it has to be this side.

Im thinking that perhaps it needs to be relocked into the cams somehow.

Does this sound like it would be the cause of the creaking if the spring wasnt correctly twisted into the "cams" ?

Also, just to get this straight, can I just get away with disconnecting the shock if I want to release the tension on the spring just to give it a twist to reseat it? I know its still connected to the anti roll bar, but would a firm press down be enough to enable it to twist?

The rubber isolator at the bottom is not lined up with the drain holes in the arm, so it would be good to correct that to try and stave off premature spring failure...

Any more advice is very welcome!

Could someone have re-installed new springs incorrectly leading to a creaking sound? Im still not 100% on quite how they lock into place, the lower isolator looks like it just fits in rather than locking....
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote