Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th November 2011, 00:45   #1
Scribbler.
Gets stuck in

Rover 75. Saloon. Red. V6. 2.5.

Default Numpties in local government.

Our local council have just posted in the local "rag", Care costs are being cut ... fair enough given the deep recession but, they say it costs them (non profit making), £29.96p per hour for this service. Ok another but, the new Contractors will only be charging £14.64p per hour. Now, given that they have to make some profit why the devil is there such a monumental difference.?? Rather an astounding admission of ineficiency and over charging methinks. They go on to state, its due to pensions, travel costs etc. Since they're striking this week on these figures do they really deserve public support. NO no no, not on my watch.!! The saving on 30, yes thats the total severly disabled 30 they're talking about, will be £226,990. *Quote Advertiser Bournemouth, front page. Costs prior to this `saving' was hitherto, £448,250. This equates to almost £15k per client per annum as opposed to a tad over £7,375. If this isnt a blatant admission of their total failure to perform what the devil is, worse even your council is probably as bad or even worse. I would sack the whole darned lot and get new unemployed people in on an annual contract renewable only based on results, at half the cost and no "cushy pensions." Why do they insist upon comparing their salaries, pensions etc to the "private sector" when at least the latter give value for money. *It's YOUR money they are wasting. Mike.
Scribbler. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 14:49   #2
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Local Gov peeps are a law unto themselves. their terms of employment make them virtually unsackable. Their main aim seems to be to do little or nothing untill they retire on a massive pension innit...

Most of their "working" lives is spent attending meetings to arrange further meetings......

And don't bother ringing them. They will say "the person you wish to speak with is on holiday, and will contact you on their return".. And no one ever calls you back..........

The Home Office work in a similar manner innit...
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 15:59   #3
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Local Gov peeps are a law unto themselves. their terms of employment make them virtually unsackable. Their main aim seems to be to do little or nothing untill they retire on a massive pension innit...

Most of their "working" lives is spent attending meetings to arrange further meetings......

And don't bother ringing them. They will say "the person you wish to speak with is on holiday, and will contact you on their return".. And no one ever calls you back..........

The Home Office work in a similar manner innit...
Well, working in Local Gov as I do, your 3rd comment is the only one which I agree with and which bears any relation to the truth....

The rest is mostly picked up from the Daily Mail, I suspect.
Old 29th November 2011, 16:09   #4
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler. View Post
Our local council have just posted in the local "rag", Care costs are being cut ... fair enough given the deep recession but, they say it costs them (non profit making), £29.96p per hour for this service. Ok another but, the new Contractors will only be charging £14.64p per hour. Now, given that they have to make some profit why the devil is there such a monumental difference.?? Rather an astounding admission of ineficiency and over charging methinks. They go on to state, its due to pensions, travel costs etc. Since they're striking this week on these figures do they really deserve public support. NO no no, not on my watch.!! The saving on 30, yes thats the total severly disabled 30 they're talking about, will be £226,990. *Quote Advertiser Bournemouth, front page. Costs prior to this `saving' was hitherto, £448,250. This equates to almost £15k per client per annum as opposed to a tad over £7,375. If this isnt a blatant admission of their total failure to perform what the devil is, worse even your council is probably as bad or even worse. I would sack the whole darned lot and get new unemployed people in on an annual contract renewable only based on results, at half the cost and no "cushy pensions." Why do they insist upon comparing their salaries, pensions etc to the "private sector" when at least the latter give value for money. *It's YOUR money they are wasting. Mike.
Always nice to see a well researched, thought out and balanced appraisal of a subject. I hope you never have the need for the new service you think is so wonderful ...because it won't be.

There's an old saying, "You get what you pay for," and another, "You get what you deserve." What is being paid for is a far inferior service which, frankly, you fully deserve for posting such an ignorant tirade.

And just so you know, I work for my local authority and for a period was engaged in arranging some of the private care services here. I can assure you it isn't good, no matter what you might read or be told. I wouldn't want a relative of mine or, heaven forbid, me to be dependant on them.

You, as a tax paying citizen, are already 'wasting' more money for private services than you ever would if they were paid for and run as a public service. PPFI schemes are particularly expensive and wasteful for taxpayers but make huge profits for the private investment companies and are certainly not 'value for money'.
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 16:45   #5
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

There was a prog on telly last night about the Private sector investors (Panorama I think) it was a real eye opener....................................

Biggest worry was realising how many "advisor's" and even Mp's themselves have vested interests in things they oversee......................
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 16:47   #6
Brabus
This is my second home

01 75 tourer cdt,1973 Rover 3500S,,1974 Rover 3500 Auto,1998 216 SE Coupe, 1968 Morris Minor 1000

Time for a revolution
121st 75 Tourer to be made
15th 75 Tourer CDT Club SE to be made
36th 75 Tourer in Zircon Silver Metallic to be made

Membership No 903

I was one of the 541
Brabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 16:48   #7
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

My local authority has just spent 250K on a new website.

Does that represent value? Sounds pricey to me.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 16:58   #8
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
There was a prog on telly last night about the Private sector investors (Panorama I think) it was a real eye opener....................................

Biggest worry was realising how many "advisor's" and even Mp's themselves have vested interests in things they oversee......................
It's all about profit, Jimbob. Considering most of the present cabinet are multi-millionaires with off-shore accounts to minimize their tax payments and fingers in more pies than a dozen bakers it's hardly surprising they do what they do. What is so disappointing is how many people are daft enough to believe the tosh they spout - they must be laughing their heads off in private.
Old 29th November 2011, 17:07   #9
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
My local authority has just spent 250K on a new website.

Does that represent value? Sounds pricey to me.

I don't know. How much should a web site cost to represent value for you? How does it compare to the cost for a comparable sized private business? I don't know that either, but are you just meaning they shouldn't have a website at all?
Old 29th November 2011, 17:26   #10
steveo
I really should get out more.......

None

Default MMMmmmmmmm

Hi All

You seem to be tarring everyone with the same brush ...

I work on the streets of Wakefield and the five towns and can assure you that there is no golden pension,Unless you call £8000 per year for what will be 30 years service golden !

There are 4 operatives to keep the whole of Castleford clear of litter and the same 4 empty all the litter / dog fouling bins in the area .

This is a thankless task, you remove all the litter from one street only to find it exactly the same a few hours later.

Local government means ... Local Council - not to be confused with Central government - politicians in London

NOT ALL WORKERS ARE THE SAME

Steveo
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote