Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th January 2010, 17:25   #21
Rover Jack
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT

I bought some of that stuff in a small bottle that claims that it was developed for plane windscreens and at that it disperses the rain on your windscreen as it hits after you have polished it onto the screen. I'm a sucker for trying out stuff like that and it was only £4.95 so I gave it a try.

I treated half (the drivers side) of the windscreen and was initially a little disappointed, the effect was that there was definitely a huge difference beteen the two sides of the screen, the treated side still obviously had raindrops on it but they were much much finer than those on the passenger side which was impossible to see out of.

However I have to say that having got used to the effect, I have been able to see quite clearly through the heaviest of rainfall with the wipers turned off no problem at all whilst travelling at normal speed. In fact the the faster you are travelling the clearer the screen.

The stuff is supposed to create less friction for the rain to stick on the screen which is why it gets clearer the faster you are travelling.

I suppose you might well say, why turn the wipers off, however I have found that occasionally when the wipers are irritating me as they sometimes do, I can turn them off and see and drive quite safely without them even in really heavy rain wheras the passenger side of the screen is impossible to see out of in the conditions.

I have to say that if treated I'm sure that there is a fair chance of you getting home if your wipers failed in the middle of a storm or heavy rainfall.

Maybe the spray stuff might help those who find the reflected light from the larger rain drops a nuisance.

Last edited by Rover Jack; 8th January 2010 at 17:32..
Rover Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 17:52   #22
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

I use a rain repellant windscreen spray and it definately works a treat over 30mph you don't need the wipers at all, even in heavy rain.

The effect tends to be short lived though, by the end of a journey of say 100 miles the windscreen needs treating again.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 18:13   #23
mark_bonsai
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Saloon

I personally use a pair of these when the conditions are less than ideal, but don't use them at night dispite what it says. I've found in foggyconditions or heavy rain in the daytime they help.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Nights...item35a4e26db7
Re-mapped. EGR bypass. De-catted. 18" Apex's. ZT190 brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harman Kardon speakers & sub. Navall 2 double din through 500w Kenwood amp. Fully chromed front grill.
mark_bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 18:49   #24
majedm75
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5V6+Auto - Pack Luxe & Sterling

I use the rain repellant solution and treat all the car windows as well as the mirrors. The visibility is great at high speed. Funniest thing: when the windshield is wet with all those droplets before you start off say from a traffic light, then when the car picks up some speed, you have that Star Trek warp speed factor image of those droplets going back
On the other hand, I tried that rain repellant on my wife's car (Suzuki Wagon R+) and it had the reverse effect: droplets would stay on the windshield and the wipers would squeek a lot . Maybe it's because the Suzuki's windshield is more vertical and the wipers arms apply less pressure on the screen
majedm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 20:49   #25
Ballo1000

MG ZT-T

I think it depends on th sunglasses, I have a pair of serengeti driving glasses and use them in fog and rain aswell as sun and they really do make a difference. My wife wears RayBan and we swapped during thick fog the glasses do add about 50 yards to the visibilty.Dont know why and being from a science background I have tried a number of pairs to try to disprove it but the serengeti always come out trumps.
Ballo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote