Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th January 2014, 17:41   #1
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Default Bonnet popping open at own free will

As title suggests, my bonnet catch is releasing the bonnet when it feels like it. Always happens when I am driving and can be any speed and road condition. Often happens when driving at 70mph on the dual carriageway but happened this morning when driving at 25mph down a side street.

Does my whole catch mechanism need replacing or can something be adjusted? Any ideas gratefully received.
Old 12th January 2014, 17:45   #2
75Connie
Gets stuck in

R75 Connoisseur CDT (116PS) Saloon Auto; R75 Connoisseur CDT (116PS) Tourer Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR75 View Post
Does my whole catch mechanism need replacing or can something be adjusted? Any ideas gratefully received.
If not already done, get the bonnet release cable modification done, coupled with adjustment of the two locking mechanisms left and right of centre of the bonnet, and have everything greased up well.

It started for me on French Autoroutes just South of Calais with 2000 miles ahead of me before I could get it fixed. Nervewracking!!!
75Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 19:48   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Try and get some oil into the operating cables.

If dry they might open the catches to the bonnet but might not then spring back when you release the lever. Just too much internal friction.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 20:19   #4
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

Mine wouldn't click back in place and it was the catches not coming fully out, 20mins with first WD40 & then some grease had them sorted..Problem being it happened when SHMBO was driving and her answer was to keep continually slamming the bonnet and putting more and more pressure on it..

Suffice to say we need a new bonnet at some point in the future..

So that'll be F/R bumpers, boot & bonnet..and a few small dents in the rest of the panels. Oh and the sills are dented too...

Don't think it's going to happen tbh...I'll just get a nice tourer and ban her from driving it..

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 20:33   #5
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Also try loosening off the bolts on the catches on the Slam Panel. You should see the catch-slider close properly, or pop out to where it should be.
Old 18th January 2014, 10:01   #6
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

As an interim, after applying all the lubrication, the release cable passes below the opening for the safety catch; I manipulate this with a small open ended spanner and the "half moons" slide back out. This is until I can take the whole lot out and service them.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 10:09   #7
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

As I said in my previous post, did you try and loosen the nuts either side of the latches on the slam panel? The half moons usually get stuck because these are too tight..... Just loosen them off slightly until they pop out.

See Pic:

NB. You know sometimes it would be nice, if not polite, if we get some 'feedback' after giving some advice/suggestions...???

Last edited by MangoMan; 18th January 2014 at 10:11..
MangoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 17:21   #8
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
As I said in my previous post, did you try and loosen the nuts either side of the latches on the slam panel? The half moons usually get stuck because these are too tight..... Just loosen them off slightly until they pop out.

NB. You know sometimes it would be nice, if not polite, if we get some 'feedback' after giving some advice/suggestions...???
You are quite right... after taking the time to reply, feedback is the very least, polite and considerate. I am sorry this hasn't been done until now, but I've been very busy over the last few weeks.

The problem seemed to subside... Until today!!

On a 22 mile journey to work I stopped a mere 18 times to push the bonnet back down. The mix of the 70mph winds and A roads is obviously too much for the catches.

Thank you one and all for replying. I will get onto this tomorrow evening after work and let you all know how I get on.
Old 6th February 2014, 20:11   #9
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Just wanted to provide an update on this...

After braving the battering wind and rain I went out to try and fix the problem of the bonnet lifting. I know it was bad because I could just lift the bonnet off the catch by hand without pulling the lever.

Greased everything up with generous amounts and loosened those bolts by about a half turn and it doesn't budge at all now. The real test will be going up the dual carriageway tomorrow, particularly if against the wind but I think this one is hopefully now sorted.

Thank you very much to those people who provided advise. Another rather frustrating problem solved thanks to the expertise and kindness of the forum.
Old 6th February 2014, 21:30   #10
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Let's hope it's sorted.