Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th March 2021, 00:36   #11
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

How'do

Your first post sounds like "Fuel Cut" due to Over-Boost - Usually the Control Solenoid at Fault (if All Hoses are Connected Correctly)

there is an easy way to check - if you disconnect the Boost Control Vac Hoses at the Turbo then connect the Compressor side of the Turbo to the Wastegate directly - using the small hose that connects the Boost Control Solenoid to the Air Intake Pipe (use tape to cover the port on the intake)

this allows the turbo to run wastegate pressure and if the issue is gone the Fault is the Boost Control Solenoid - Cheap Easy Fix if it is.

Also If you disconnect the Vac hose from the Boost Solenoid to the Wastegate (leave it connected at the wastegate) it's possible to pressurise this hose with a Bicycle pump and check that the Wastegate is actually functioning (Visible through the Exhaust Manifold)

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2021, 06:25   #12
JamieR07

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
thanks! i have ordered new coils and leads!

once they come i will change them over and let you guys know!

thank you all for all your help, you guys have been fantastic!
Old 19th March 2021, 06:34   #13
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
How'do

Your first post sounds like "Fuel Cut" due to Over-Boost - Usually the Control Solenoid at Fault (if All Hoses are Connected Correctly)

there is an easy way to check - if you disconnect the Boost Control Vac Hoses at the Turbo then connect the Compressor side of the Turbo to the Wastegate directly - using the small hose that connects the Boost Control Solenoid to the Air Intake Pipe (use tape to cover the port on the intake)

this allows the turbo to run wastegate pressure and if the issue is gone the Fault is the Boost Control Solenoid - Cheap Easy Fix if it is.

Also If you disconnect the Vac hose from the Boost Solenoid to the Wastegate (leave it connected at the wastegate) it's possible to pressurise this hose with a Bicycle pump and check that the Wastegate is actually functioning (Visible through the Exhaust Manifold)

Paul.

Thats a more descriptive post to check your turbo control hoses and solenoid
The turbo's are great when running right but are finicky if the turbo not plumbed up right or the solenoid acting up. I sure you will get there with a bit of fettling
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 17:03   #14
JamieR07

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
How'do

Paul.

Hi there!

Sorry I didn't see this message.

I swapped out the boost control solenoid for another that I had, and the issue was still the same. I was just about to try your fault finding diagnostic when I accidentally broke my purge control valve pipe - leant on it - so I ordered a new one and now it's not faulting!

I am thoroughly confused but it seems to have fixed it

I also replaced the coils as I had ordered them anyway and it still runs a little lumpy from cold, is this a common fault with the K series?

Last edited by JamieR07; 22nd March 2021 at 17:06.. Reason: Misspelled
JamieR07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 17:16   #15
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Over the years folk have reported a hunting idle on the 1.8t - however on mine its pretty rock steady.

Try a throttle position sensor reset. Switch ignition on but don't turn to start position. Press throttle to floor and right off again five times. Switch ignition to off position.

See if that helps Some say it does.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:27   #16
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

I had the same issue with my 1.8T when I bought it. Despite two ‘expert’ opinions telling me it definitely wasn’t an issue with the coils, that’s exactly what it was.

I highly recommend new plugs, HT leads and coils on the 1.8T if is starts to display these symptoms.

As for the rough running when cold, is it loosing any coolant?
Mean & Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2021, 06:08   #17
JamieR07

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean & Green View Post
I had the same issue with my 1.8T when I bought it. Despite two ‘expert’ opinions telling me it definitely wasn’t an issue with the coils, that’s exactly what it was.

I highly recommend new plugs, HT leads and coils on the 1.8T if is starts to display these symptoms.

As for the rough running when cold, is it loosing any coolant?
Just done the leads and coils, so that's a good start, also done the plugs when I did the rebuild, but I'll double check them

The coolant level doesn't go down, and I can't see evidence of a drip, so hopefully my rebuild has been successful! Although it can occasionally be a little smokey. The smoke is blue though so definitely oil. But again no level drop with the oil either

I'll try the throttle position sensor reset and check the plugs tonight!
Old 23rd March 2021, 09:42   #18
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Cleaning and re-gapping (if possible) of the spark plugs would be my first port of call. These cars are incredibly sensitive to spark plug problems!
If not, then a new set of plugs would be my next move.
Old 26th March 2021, 07:36   #19
JamieR07

MG ZT

Hi guys!

So I may have found an issue

Turns out I have a leak 🙄 the head gasket is leaking from the front left side - by the cam belt plastic cover

Hopefully the image has uploaded

Looks like I'll be doing the head gasket again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20210326-WA0001.jpg (16.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 26th March 2021, 14:19   #20
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Hi Jamie.
There is an updated head gasket that is thicker and better at avoiding HGF. But I seem to remember someone saying you will need a set of slightly longer bolts to compensate for that or even the new gaskets can blow.
Lots of members have done this job so I'm sure someone will pop on with more info
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote