Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th June 2019, 09:52   #11
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Yesterday I was sat in a garage waiting for the MOT to be completed on my Volvo and a lady came in to discuss the problems she was having with her Volvo. The owner of the garage had just come back from test driving her car and was in a discussion with his mechanics as she arrived. He was saying to them the car was doing everything as it should and he could not find a fault and nothings showing up when its plugged in to the computer. One of the mechanics said that on his test a few days earlier it did what she was complaining of and was stuttering under load in second. The owner asked if they knew what petrol she used and the foreman said he had told her she put in good stuff.

It was at this point the owner came in and she was told that under this test test they did not reproduce the fault and again nothing was showing up. He then said where do you fill up, she replied Morrisons. He said that will be your problem, we get cars in here all the time with problems like this who fill up at a named branch. If we don't find a fault we advise changing to a branded petrol and after a few fill ups see what happens. The majority come back and say its cured, those that still persist we clean out the injectors etc and then that resolves it, so do the cheapest first. She was not to responsive to this so he went to the back of the room got a bottle off a shelf and said this is out of an Audi this week, its diesel from that branch having the same problem. The bottom of the bottle was full of black particle sediment which he shook up. We kept this because we were surprised how much there was in the tank. The car was too new for it to be from deteriorating hoses etc all was in good condition, but this was in the filters, pumps and injectors and from new he had only used Morrisons from that branch. She left convinced and then a conversation in the waiting area was had on where we all fill up and what with. 20% me included reported running problems with cars that ended when we stopped using Morrisons.

My conclusions are that the evidence shows all companies buy the same basic fuels and then some add into that their own chemicals and additives to create better combustion, cleaner engines, hence those who recommend and prefer V Power etc. So all cars should run well and cleanly on any petrol/diesel, but some like my Volvo may smell of bad eggs when running supermarket fuel but that in fact is not harmful just embarrassing. Deposits that can block up injectors and cause poor running comes from dirty storage not the petrol tanks. It could well be that some retailers are better at looking after their storage tanks than others.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote