Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th March 2011, 21:04   #1
Rich978
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer 20ltr v6

Default Tourer front suspesion

Hi all does anyone know if the tourer suffered front spring failure most postings i've seen have been on the saloons? I've just looked on rimmer bros at the tyre protectors didn't know if they was needed mine is a 2002 tourer any advice will be very helpful thanx
Rich978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 21:26   #2
man of kent
Loves to post

75 tourer auto diesel

I posted this question some time ago twice with no answer. What was shown was a service bulletin that said "saloon only". I suspect it depends on the engine size and weight. The tourer may also have stiffer springs than the saloon.

Somebody must know the answer. Come on you experts. Is the tourer affected? I have a 2002 diesel tourer. This must have heavier duty springs than some.
man of kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 21:53   #3
Rich978
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer 20ltr v6

Thanx mate yeah thats all i've seen about the saloons being effected have to wait
and see if any 1 has any info
Rich978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 22:10   #4
soapy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Contemporary Diesel Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich978 View Post
Hi all does anyone know if the tourer suffered front spring failure most postings i've seen have been on the saloons? I've just looked on rimmer bros at the tyre protectors didn't know if they was needed mine is a 2002 tourer any advice will be very helpful thanx
Well my 05 reg ZT-T has front spring protectors fitted even though i have suffered only fractured rear ones not complaining though.

Joseph Stalin.
soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 07:16   #5
starbug2
This is my second home

Silver Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDTI + MGF 1.8 in BRG

both my back ones have gone but not my front and they do not seem to have any protectors on . a mk 1 04 plate

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible
starbug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 07:43   #6
tsautos
Loves to post

MG EXPRESS

The tourers will suffer the same traits, it's the exact same set up apart from one option of self levelling on the rears
tsautos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 10:02   #7
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Think we might be getting a bit hung up over the recall notice for the 75 Saloon springs as to the chances of front springs breaking on our cars.

Yes there is/was a potential problem with 75 Saloon front springs on early cars manufactured between 27.10.99 to 20.02.2002 Vin RJ 133300 to RJ 247257 as per recall notice.

Thereafter it would appear that 75s of any variety are as likely as any other car make to suffer spring breakages.

Leaving aside cars affected by the recall notice we probably see more reports of front spring breakages on 75 saloons on this forum cos more 75 saloons were produced than Tourers/ZT and ZTTs/V8s.

I produced and posted a quick and dirty analysis of front spring breakages from threads on this forum in IIRC late 2008 (but I cant track it down now ) which suggested that the majority of breaks reported by members happened to the recall cars and thereafter there were just a few covering all types including one V8.

Given the source data the analysis cant be regarded as definitive but a good indication. Also as other cars with a similar suspension design have front spring breakages I would conclude that:

1/ If you have a 75 saloon that falls into the recall category check you have the protectors and if you have not get them fitted ASAP.

2/ If you 75 Saloon/Tourer or ZT/ZTT or V8 outside the recall notice the protectors were not fitted as standard by MGR. They may have been fitted by a previous owner. But if not get them fitted ASAP as all springs seem a bit fragile these days.

The spring protectors do not guarantee that a breakage will not punture the tyre in all cases, they just give some protection for the tyre should the spring break at the bottom which is the most usual place.

And remember that spring breakages happen to a lot of cars these days,not just ours.

Last edited by David3807; 17th March 2011 at 10:06..
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 18:21   #8
man of kent
Loves to post

75 tourer auto diesel

I agree spring breakages are quite common. This and other recalls are usually because of cost saves instigated by senior management who force engineers to meet targets even though they do not want to do it. The managers meet the cost targets and get promoted. Some time later parts fail and out goes a recall notice costing companies millions!. I speak from my own experiences in the industry. Lower spec materials, reduce material content and weight etc etc

A large manufacturer did a study of recalls and found 50% were because of cost saves.

Unfortunately things are so competitive now, nothing will change.
man of kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 19:06   #9
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

To answer the question, yes they do break! Mine broke at 50 mph blowing the front n/s tyre and the car dropped so fast it left marks on the undertray from striking the road! I've fitted spring protectors but i doubt they'll make much difference but i don't want to experience that again in a hurry.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 11:58   #10
sowen
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I've got an '02 rover cdt tourer, and bought a pair of tyre protectors from rimmerbros and fitted them about 3 weeks ago. Boy am I glad I did!

This morning, pulled out of the driveway and heard a light twang in the car, thought something had fallen over in the boot, so carried on off up the road. Two miles down come round a corner at 50 ish and heard an almighty bang from the front passenger side, no wobble or pulling to either side, so decided to go on past my motorway junction and pull over in the next garage. I found the front passenger spring had sheared directly above the tyre, the only thing holding it in place was the tyre protector

I'll post up some pics when I get home tonight, didn't have time this morning as I had to find another way into work. I've had this happen front and rear on my old '01 mondeo hatch, I think that was on it's third set of front springs by the time I sold it!
sowen is offline   Reply With Quote