Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th July 2011, 09:17   #1
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts
Default Multiple car insurance policies

Anybody in them? it's just the wifes insurance for the leon is due and lowest quote is now £750, however if i pledge to insure the 75 next year with them it drops to £650.

How it works is that when my policy expires in May next year they insure me on short term policy until its renewal date is same as wifes ( cost is pro rata of 12 month policy. Then i take out a 12 month policy with them that as it happens is within pence of my renewal this year.

Both policies run entirely seperate building up no claims, Only issues i can see is if i don't honour the pledge next year they want the extra £100 discount back, and the major problem will be both insurances will in future be due on the same day taking the outlay at that one time over £1100.....gulp

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 09:59   #2
BarryH
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Nice bit of blackmail there.The only things missing are the £50 off your house insurance and the M & S vouchers
BarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 10:18   #3
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Thumbs up

Sounds like what I have with Admiral Dave
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 10:44   #4
RoryRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Con SE CDTi tourer

I have an Admiral multi car policy as well, with 4 cars (including Rory) covered. It has worked out very well for me, particularly as two of the cars are insured with my children as the main driver. This means they are building up thier own no claims bonus and has made it much cheaper than trying to insure thier cars individually.

One thing puzzled me - if I had just my son or daughter as named driver the price was higher than if I had them as the main driver, and my wife and I also added to the policy for the car. Seems a bit odd - but that knowledge saved me over £250 !!

The only problem is I now get one big bill each year instead of four bills spaced out through the year.

To date I cannot fault Admiral and would reccommend them. I have never had to make a claim though - so I do not know what they are like when the proverbial hits the fan
RoryRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 11:56   #5
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

We use Admiral with 3 cars and so far they have been pretty good. It also hides my 20 year old daughters insurance costs in amongst ours. Somewhat less eyewatering than an individual policy. However, when I wanted to add the MGF to the group they wanted an extra £450 Went with the MGOC for £240.

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 00:07   #6
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

A part time traders policy would perhaps suit you better if you have more than two cars or two cars and a van.

Currently im paying £300 for the van, £580 for the ZT and £900 for her ka.

Now next year, the van will be similar, the zt is going classic and her ka should drop significantly if she gets a years NCB under her belt.

BUT its still going to work out cheaper for me with a traders policy, allowing us both to drive whatever we want, plus im hoping to get her into a MGF next year so that will save on insurance again.

I have without fail sold or bought two cars a year since I was 17, so a pt traders makes sense now im nearly 30.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 08:32   #7
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

I have just had a renewal quote of £1020 for the 2 cars from Admiral. An increase of about £350, despite a clean license, no claims max on the CDTi and no claims on the V6 and low mileage driven p.a so I am hunting around.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 13:51   #8
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
I have just had a renewal quote of £1020 for the 2 cars from Admiral. An increase of about £350, despite a clean license, no claims max on the CDTi and no claims on the V6 and low mileage driven p.a so I am hunting around.
Had the same on renewal for my two V6 Autos with Admiral. Was £250 each in 2010 went to £400 each in 2011. Started looking on the comparison web sites. Found an insurer who was quoting £260 per car as the cheapest. And guess who it was - Admiral

A quick phone call, followed by a short silence and then 'I will just check with my Manager Sir'. Then followed with 'Yes we can do it for that price Sir'. Follwed by me saying 'Great, now what about my Multicar discount as the comparison sites work on single policies only basis'.

Result - total bill for the two cars came to about £475 which was slightly cheaper than the year before.

On another point I have had claims experience with Admiral in 2011 and found them pretty good. They dont keep you waiting and push things along reasonably fast.
However you do need to get involved a bit to make sure that the car is not written off (if thats what you want). In my case I didnt need a hire car and no personal injury claim on either side. They offered me a sum of money to get the car repaired (without w/off note on the registration document) which I accepted and the cheque arrived the following day.

All in all I am happy with them.
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 15:39   #9
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

On a positive note, they quoted me the cheapest for 2 cars last year.
Not long after I passed my driving test many moons ago, I had an RTA : my first and I broke all of the rules by admitting liability at the scene. I know I should not have done this and regretted it afterwards, but they did pay all costs to all parties as they could have refused. That was really was admirable.

Given your experience David - a positive one, I will reconsider and think again.

All the best

Phil
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote