Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th March 2012, 10:28   #1
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts
Default Trip computer range error

Yesterday when I pushed the stalk for the comupter it came up with a range of 990 miles (I wish it was true!). Having driven about 30 miles it is now showing 639 miles.
All the other readings like MPG, Average speed etc seem sensible and the fuel gauge looks to be working OK.
Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.
Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 10:53   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I suspect it hasn't collected sufficient data to calculate a meaningful result. The system appears to compute from averages collected over a period of time. If the computer is reset, the calculations it provides are likely to be unrealistic. For the 'best' results, the computer should never be reset.

It also uses the calculated mpg data to predict the Range. If the current mpg figure is over-optimistic (which it usually is) then the range will be unrealistic. The mpg data should be calibrated by practical measurement (like a series of brim-to-brim tests) so the displayed mpg matches the actual mpg. There's detail on recalibrating the mpg data in the Diagnostic Mode HowTo.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 16:11   #3
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Yesterday when I pushed the stalk for the comupter it came up with a range of 990 miles (I wish it was true!). Having driven about 30 miles it is now showing 639 miles.
All the other readings like MPG, Average speed etc seem sensible and the fuel gauge looks to be working OK.
Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.
Commonish problem in cars around 2002. Glitch in instrument pack. Will gradually revert to proper figure as you have found. Adding some more fuel to the tank should also correct the figure - well it does with my 2002 tourer.

Adding more fuel forces the 'computer' to recalculate the range figure and it usually gets it right second time.
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 19:33   #4
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts
Default A great help thanks

Many thanks for your help on this one guys.
I will put some fuel in it and see what happens. I last reset the trip about 700 miles ago and it was working fine up until now. A glitch explains it, as I could not understand why the range is greater than the MPG x the maximum tank capacity in gallons.
The post by T-Cut in the "Diagnostic Mode HowTo" is brilliant and has revealed some interesting facts about my car (like it was built in June 2000 and registered on the 1st March 2001, just in time for the emissions road tax!).

I did not know so much information was held on the car and I am going to get one of those Bluetooth OBD2 devices so I can have a furthert look on my laptop.

Thanks again, a great site for help!
Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote