Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th February 2012, 15:12   #1
clifford
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur

Default Is it possible to get stuck in your car

Lets say all your doors are locked, whilst driving you knock the central locking switch. You pull over to park and you switch the engine off. You try to open the door but it is locked, so you try the key fob and get no response. You turn on the ignition no response, the battery has failed or the electrics have shut down, for whatever reason. How would you get out of the car?
clifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 15:16   #2
bobgrice
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon 1.8t

I would just enjoy it.
Old 15th February 2012, 15:16   #3
freddie
Passed Away

75 cdti connoisseur se saloon

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,345 Posts

Just pull the door handle
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 15:20   #4
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Wink Yip

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
Just pull the door handle
Exactly!

Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 15:20   #5
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford View Post
Lets say all your doors are locked, whilst driving you knock the central locking switch. You pull over to park and you switch the engine off. You try to open the door but it is locked, so you try the key fob and get no response. You turn on the ignition no response, the battery has failed or the electrics have shut down, for whatever reason. How would you get out of the car?
It is possible yes. When I fitted the speaker baffles in the doors I inadvertedly put a screw through the door loom which runs under. All it did was nick the sheath so it kept shorting out, blowing the fuse and disabling the central locking. The fuse that blows is for all the door locks and electric windows, as i've got the child locks on too the only way I could get out was climbing through the boot.
As anyone who has met me will agree, I'm not the most nimble of chaps anymore.

I had to climb into the back, drop the seats enough to squeeze through into the boot then use the safety latch inside.
Fortunately my boot release worked but if it didn't i'd have had to get someone to unlock it with the key...
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 15:25   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

If there was a complete electrical failure, I doubt you would get out unless someone outside broke a window so you could escape.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 15:28   #7
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
It is possible yes. When I fitted the speaker baffles in the doors I inadvertedly put a screw through the door loom which runs under. All it did was nick the sheath so it kept shorting out, blowing the fuse and disabling the central locking. The fuse that blows is for all the door locks and electric windows, as i've got the child locks on too the only way I could get out was climbing through the boot.
As anyone who has met me will agree, I'm not the most nimble of chaps anymore.

I had to climb into the back, drop the seats enough to squeeze through into the boot then use the safety latch inside.
Fortunately my boot release worked but if it didn't i'd have had to get someone to unlock it with the key...
Odd. The front doors should have worked ok, as the first pull on the interior handle pops up the door lock mechanism, and then the second pull opens the door. No electrics involved, and no child locks on the front doors. The only way this wouldn't work is if the door had been locked from outside with the key, i.e. deadlocked.

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 15:41   #8
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrax View Post
Odd. The front doors should have worked ok, as the first pull on the interior handle pops up the door lock mechanism, and then the second pull opens the door. No electrics involved, and no child locks on the front doors. The only way this wouldn't work is if the door had been locked from outside with the key, i.e. deadlocked.
If the wire nicked, was the one that receives the signal for the deadlock, it would have deadlocked the doors.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 16:31   #9
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

That thought brought back memories .....of a Ford Fairlane back in 1958/59, power hood, power windows, power everything and unheard of then, had electrical problems, driver inside unable to get out while several mechanics stood there laughing their socks off.

Eventually I suppose they went to his rescue, but in the 15/20 minutes I was there all they did was enjoy his discomfort.
Chips
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 16:37   #10
Rabett_Rover
This is my second home

Rover 75

I would stay in the car until I lose enough weight to slip seamlessly through the panel gaps into safely.
Rabett_Rover is offline   Reply With Quote