Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th August 2012, 23:28   #1
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Awful road noise!

My Connie CDT has developed an awful whine from somewhere in the transmission / wheelbase that's road but not engine speed related. It's not the tyres and it can't be the g'box because the noise remains when I put the car in neutral and cruise. So I can only assume it's coming from one of the wheels. Will a rolling road test pin down the culprit wheel (presumably a bearing)?
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 04:30   #2
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty2 View Post
My Connie CDT has developed an awful whine from somewhere in the transmission / wheelbase that's road but not engine speed related. It's not the tyres and it can't be the g'box because the noise remains when I put the car in neutral and cruise. So I can only assume it's coming from one of the wheels. Will a rolling road test pin down the culprit wheel (presumably a bearing)?
Hi, I have the same whine, I jacked my 190 up and put axe stands under the front subfame so the front wheels were off the ground. I then got the wife to 'drive' the car through the gears, at 50 mph in 5th I got her to drop the car out of gear and turn the engine off, so the wheels/gearbox spin from 50 - 0mph. I was laying under the car at the same time and my awful loud whine is coming from the diff in the gearbox(I think).
But then driving with the whine from my a.c pump and road noise It's not too bad.
If you can't do the above, any mot place could do the same using a ramp.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg

Last edited by Simon.h; 18th August 2012 at 06:51..
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 07:49   #3
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Ahah! I read your post Simon and I hope it's not the diff ! At least I don't think it is because the noise would surely change depending on load conditions. Anyway, I'll book it in ASAP for a diagnosis because until this started, my CDT was a very quiet runner.

Thanks for responding

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.h View Post
Hi, I have the same whine, I jacked my 190 up and put axe stands under the front subfame so the front wheels were off the ground. I then got the wife to 'drive' the car through the gears, at 50 mph in 5th I got her to drop the car out of gear and turn the engine off, so the wheels/gearbox spin from 50 - 0mph. I was laying under the car at the same time and my awful loud whine is coming from the diff in the gearbox(I think).
But then driving with the whine from my a.c pump and road noise It's not too bad.
If you can't do the above, any mot place could do the same using a ramp.
Old 18th August 2012, 13:49   #4
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Hi Minty.. Are you positive that its not tyres ??

Had similar noise on my Con SE 2.5 Auto saloon. Tyres had been on the car for about 2.5 years and 12k miles and were down to 5 to 6mm. suddenly noise like a wheel bearing going at anything over 30 to40MPH.
Spoke to 2 R75 experts and both said unlikely bearing probably tyres.
Had a spare set of wheels so swapped over. Noise vanished.

Put original wheels on my tourer and it now sounds like a wheel bearing going !!

Kind of puts you off some tyre makers (Goodyear in this case) when their product gets VERY noisy before the tyres are even half worn.
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 15:55   #5
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Ahah! I read your post Simon and I hope it's not the diff ! At least I don't think it is because the noise would surely change depending on load conditions. Anyway, I'll book it in ASAP for a diagnosis because until this started, my CDT was a very quiet runner.

Thanks for responding

David
Why can't it be the box. Just because you put the gearbox into neutral doesn't mean the gears aren't still turning, all gears are in constant mesh but not under load and driving. The diff is still turning as it is attached to the road wheels and the diff is still connected to the output shaft of the gearbox. If you have excessive free play in the diff pinion you should get a change of note when the drive chain is not under load with the box still in gear. Bearings normally grind, gears whine.

Jack each wheel up and listen to the bearings, if the wheels run free and make no noise (no gritty sound), then your problem is with the box.

Last edited by rover54; 18th August 2012 at 15:59..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 19:30   #6
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Yes, of course you're right and I can't deny that it could be the diff but I don't hear a change in note when the gearbox is under load. That gives me hope that it's a wheel bearing problem that will not cost me an AAAL to repair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
Why can't it be the box. Just because you put the gearbox into neutral doesn't mean the gears aren't still turning, all gears are in constant mesh but not under load and driving. The diff is still turning as it is attached to the road wheels and the diff is still connected to the output shaft of the gearbox. If you have excessive free play in the diff pinion you should get a change of note when the drive chain is not under load with the box still in gear. Bearings normally grind, gears whine.

Jack each wheel up and listen to the bearings, if the wheels run free and make no noise (no gritty sound), then your problem is with the box.
Old 18th August 2012, 19:40   #7
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Yes, of course you're right and I can't deny that it could be the diff but I don't hear a change in note when the gearbox is under load. That gives me hope that it's a wheel bearing problem that will not cost me an AAAL to repair!
I hope it is something as simple as a wheel bearing. I hate to see car owners with BIG repair bills. Cars should be enjoyed and not in the garage costing money.

Last edited by rover54; 18th August 2012 at 19:42..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 19:46   #8
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Mine whine changes with load, more load louder whine.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Old 19th August 2012, 09:07   #9
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Yes, it's the constant tone of the whine / drone that gives me hope! The problem arose just last week and at first, I thought it was the tyres. The noise gradually got worse and I changed the front tyres to part worns, which made no difference at all so must be a bearing somewhere. This car has been costing me rather a lot of money in wear and tear repairs since I bought it last year so it's not out of character for a wheel bearing failure to occur at 110K miles; but I wouldn't expect a major diff problem at this time.....
Old 19th August 2012, 10:08   #10
Simon.h
This is my second home

Quote:
Yes, it's the constant tone of the whine / drone that gives me hope! The problem arose just last week and at first, I thought it was the tyres. The noise gradually got worse and I changed the front tyres to part worns, which made no difference at all so must be a bearing somewhere. This car has been costing me rather a lot of money in wear and tear repairs since I bought it last year so it's not out of character for a wheel bearing failure to occur at 110K miles; but I wouldn't expect a major diff problem at this time.....
You can tell if its a wheel bearing, by driving round a high speed bend.
If you go round a left hand bend the n/s/f wheel slows and the o/s/f wheel speeds up and also more load is on the o/s/f wheel. So if your whine gets louder with a left hand bend and the whine drops on a right hand bend, then its your o/s/f wheel bearing!
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg