Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd April 2024, 08:18   #21
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Can't help but read the papers. Councillors almost all over the country are being, er, made aware, of their shortcomings in financial management of our money. An alarming number of them are massively overspent. I wonder why.
There should be personal responsibility of government incomings and public taxes being splashed out on unnecessary frivolous fashionable adventures.
Old 22nd April 2024, 13:17   #22
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Can't help but read the papers. Councillors almost all over the country are being, er, made aware, of their shortcomings in financial management of our money. An alarming number of them are massively overspent. I wonder why.
There should be personal responsibility of government incomings and public taxes being splashed out on unnecessary frivolous fashionable adventures.
Yep, but nothing will happen with that aspect until council officers and possibly councillors are made to cover a shortfall. That would mean nobody prepared to put themselves forward to be a councillor. Then we have a bigger deficit for democracy. However, the biggest deficit in democracy is that we are unable to vote in/out council officials.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2024, 17:02   #23
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Yes Kev, but are 'council officials' not voted in to be councillors first? Then selected for higher glories? Or are they mere instruments of current dogma and pure civil servants?
Old 23rd April 2024, 10:27   #24
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Yes Kev, but are 'council officials' not voted in to be councillors first? Then selected for higher glories? Or are they mere instruments of current dogma and pure civil servants?
More the second point. They are appointed by recruitment. However, they have no liability for ineptitude.
Kev
Old 23rd April 2024, 15:33   #25
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

I'm embarrassed Kev, I'm unsure if there is a difference between 'councillors' and 'council officials'. Are the latter the equivalent of civil servants and therefore appointed as opposed to being elected by the public? If so, it becomes somewhat more disgraceful, given the phoney diversity and woke tentacles so widely evident.

Last edited by wraymond; 23rd April 2024 at 15:36..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 11:38   #26
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
I'm embarrassed Kev, I'm unsure if there is a difference between 'councillors' and 'council officials'. Are the latter the equivalent of civil servants and therefore appointed as opposed to being elected by the public? If so, it becomes somewhat more disgraceful, given the phoney diversity and woke tentacles so widely evident.
In a sense council officials are similar to Civil Servants. They are paid by the Council in question. People do not have any option to vote for or against them. However, we now have many functions outsourced to contractors (supposedly a cheaper option) but the full time officials still seem to procreate well! :-)

We vote in/out Councillors. They used to be unpaid except for attendance allowance and expenses but that might have been allowed to run wild by now. They are often appointed by Councillors to specific departmental responsibility, such as welfare and the like. They are usually well out of their depth and hence how council officials practically do what they like on political agenda. I doubt if many Councillors have been told to implement woke ideals by the voters but such policies seemingly are adopted without any real opposition.

Kev