Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th May 2019, 15:42   #41
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauzao View Post
Hi there,

I just bought a new MAF and meanwhile read this information, how can i confirm if my car already came with this shedder?
With the VIN number i cannot understand, mine end in 273819 but in the doc says the range is from 27447 to 277737 but after says from 277738 all vehicles had it fitted...
Can i check it without removing the front bumper? it's an MG ZT.

Tks

Pedro
Hi there, yes you can check to see if the water shedder is in place, open the bonnet and lift it all the way up, then look through the area where the grill would be and upward and the shedder if present is just right behind the grill opening. It looks like a rectangular sheet of metal feel for it with hand careful not to cut fingers.It is welded at the top but free at the bottom.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2019, 18:30   #42
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Hi there, yes you can check to see if the water shedder is in place, open the bonnet and lift it all the way up, then look through the area where the grill would be and upward and the shedder if present is just right behind the grill opening. It looks like a rectangular sheet of metal feel for it with hand careful not to cut fingers.It is welded at the top but free at the bottom.

My memory is a bit vague, but I thought it was a rubber strip / flap protecting the air intake?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2019, 20:29   #43
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Definitely an angled metal plate. I bought one to fit to my 2004 diesel. It already had one from the factory....... As far as I remember it was only the very early diesels that would benefit from having one retro fitted. The potential problem was spotted early on and the shredder plate then fitted as standard to all cars produced thereafter.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2019, 22:27   #44
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

i would have though that if the air intake pipe at the front was cut it would have the same effect of stopping water vapour being sucked into the air intake as it would be drawing air from inside the engine bay rather than from front outside of the grille.
Putting a plate inside the air flow will affect airflow i would think.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 07:08   #45
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
i would have though that if the air intake pipe at the front was cut it would have the same effect of stopping water vapour being sucked into the air intake as it would be drawing air from inside the engine bay rather than from front outside of the grille.
Putting a plate inside the air flow will affect airflow i would think.
It is water spray being atomised by the cooling fan, and the resultant aerosol spray being ingested into the air intake that the modification to the slam panel prevents.

Cutting the air intake bellows exacerbates this problem, and it must be noted that this "performance enhancing" modification, was originally championed by a man who's business was selling replacement Mercedes van MAF sensors, along with the required electronic amplifier to make this MAF "work"

I can assure you, there is no impediment to airflow having either the modification retrofitted to an early car, nor as a standard fit to later cars.

Also there is no improvement to airflow in cutting the bellows off the air intake duct whatsoever

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 13:46   #46
mauzao
Regular poster

MG ZT

Ok, i'll try to check it, from outside the car, i see a black thing, look like plastic in the top of the fan, i'll take some pictures.
mauzao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2019, 18:48   #47
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
The bulletin was released in 2003, I would guess later cars will have been fitted with the solution at the factory?

My 2004 would seem to have one and it is a rectangle of soft rubber (like a truck inner tube), which hangs down ahead of the mouth of the intake, behind the grill. I suspect it will be fixed by the three bolts, which fix the intake to the slam panel.

As I recall, the plastic intake has a small drain hole in the base, I would assume to allow any water to drain back out.
Thats right Harry. My diesel 2002 August made has it. Even with this fitted I have found evidence of a small amount of water droplets that have got into the air filter assembly, so I don’t know how those that removed the truncking part before the hard plastic engine cover get away with it, or do they.