Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th May 2019, 22:41   #11
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Your tape method should work OK. I've never used any other method on many clutches in my life and it has always worked.

As the other members have said the gearbox should slide on reasonably easily. It might need a little push upwards from below so the box is not bearing down on the bolts and dowels however.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 05:58   #12
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Did you get sorted? I’ve got a universal clutch aligning tool that clamps the cover and disc together and i’m in Penrith Sunday morning if you need to borrow it?

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 22:53   #13
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks to all, yes it's sorted - gearbox fully back in place. I used the long sub- frame bolts in the bolt holes - difficult to get initial alignment with just me, but when mbev (Mike) came to lend a hand, we got them well screwed in so the gearbox could slide perfectly parallel. It still took some persuading, but once it was within half an inch of the engine, I knew the input shaft was properly engaged in the clutch centre, so fitted some of the correct length bolts, and gently turned them in, with very little resistance, in fact, just tightening the top bolt produced a similar amount of movement at the bottom (jack under engine only, as Mike was underneath, checking and turning the bottom bolt). I've been away today, so will connect the hydraulics tomorrow and check the clutch action before proceeding with the rest of the rebuild. Looking forward to cleaning off all the debris dropped on it by the jackdaws nesting in the thatch, and taking it for a drive. Then I have to decide whether I'm keeping it. It's a far better (less frenetic) long distance car than the Megane, and marginally cheaper on fuel, but I suspect that with the dubious quality of so many replacement parts for the Rover, the Renault may turn out to be the easier car to maintain as a daily driver.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote