Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th July 2021, 08:21   #21
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Pete
If the belt is the original it needs changing and also change the auxiliary drive belt as it is not worth the risk running such an old belt

The clutch I would bleed some new fluid through it a d see if that improves it

Dave
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 08:40   #22
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Definitely leave the head gasket alone, we have a yellow 2003 1.8 ZS which was supplied and serviced by us from new with 220,000+ miles on it, never had a head gasket, engine is sweet as a nut and passes emissions first time every time, mind you, the bodywork and interior are shot!
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 08:58   #23
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Hi Pete
If the belt is the original it needs changing and also change the auxiliary drive belt as it is not worth the risk running such an old belt

The clutch I would bleed some new fluid through it a d see if that improves it

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourerSteve View Post
My advice would be to carry out your servicing including timing belt service , water pump, carry out good inspection of of all hoses and change coolant if no other issues are found

As Dave says and a quoted the post the other day

With the age of your belt (potentially over 3 times the recommended service period ) I would certainly change it as Rubber does deteriorate with age . I have recently changed my own including water pump using parts supplied by DMGRS .

Coolant is also a service item and with OAT should be changed out every 4 years and its importance often overlooked by owners

When sourcing your spares for your timing belt change include one of
tools linked below to lock your cam sprockets , That page also recommends full kits for your 1.8 as well

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...r-2626-vse180b
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...39845780029603

Last edited by TourerSteve; 25th July 2021 at 09:13..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 13:45   #24
petem
Regular poster

75 saloon

Thanks, all for the much valued input.

My current plan is to purchase, clutch kit inc slave and master cylinders, timing belt kit kit with tensioner and water pump, service items kit, gasket set kit inc head gasket, cam sprocket tool, and a magnetic oil drain plug.

I'll check the hoses, and will have the car on a ramp tomorrow, to have a good poke around the brakes and suspension underneath, in case I need to add anything else to the shopping list. Hopefully not. It all feels quite good driving (apart from the steering at speed) and it stops well. Handbrake is fine currently too.

The problem now is it aint cheap and easy ordering stuff from the UK anymore, post Brexit. Tarif free my NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-. The shipping companies can add as much as they like now (customs clearance service charges) because there is nothing stopping them from doing it. So, why wouldn't they. It's a lottery how much the fee will be when it arrives on your doorstep.

For this reason I'll grab what I can fit in my suitcases, while I'm in the UK, and pack the rest with the seats I'm personally shipping.

When I get back, I'll service the engine, and check the condition of the timing belt for obvious problems. if it looks good I'll do the service, along with the fault finding for the indicator telltail light, and door locking etc, set the digital water temp display, and bleed the clutch. Plus anything brake and suspension related if we find anything tomorrow. I'll then get the wheel alignment checked and corrected if necessary - hope this is the steering issue.

Then gonna fit my new interior inc power/heated seats, rear power blind, powerfold mirrors (still need the passenger side bullet powerfold mirror - anyone?) etc, when that all arrives toward the end of august. I'll continue with the fault finding at this stage if it's pointing to a K bus problem. - This should keep me busy for a while

Then I'll do the timing belt, along with the ancillary belt, and the clutch if there is no improvement after bleeding it.

The head gasket will be on the shelf should I ever need it.

Thanks again all
petem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 16:49   #25
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by petem View Post
new timing belt/water pump, and head gasket for 1.8 - genuine, Britpart, MG Rover, OEM or after market?

Which would you use?

Same question for clutch etc.

Cheers,

Pete
Gates belts Always, top quality, all good mechanics use them , yes they are a little more expensive but quality is never cheap. I buy most of my parts from Autodoc there is a wide choice of service parts from top manufacturers including TRW etc all at prices to you will be surprised at!

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

One of the best of the last from the last of the best!
Produced on Valentine's day 2005 - 8 weeks before the end.

Last edited by Busboy; 25th July 2021 at 16:53..
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote