Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2010, 08:01   #401
Number 6
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Meneac
Posts: 6,759
Thanks: 5,007
Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I have a Renault Stat which I'll try on a CDTi tomorrow.
Could be some in line housings obsolete overnight .....if I'm satisfied with sealing and securing issues

Jules I have put a hose clip around the body of the stat just to make sure that A it stays put and B to make sure there is a seal .Although when you come to fit the stat in the pipe you will see that it is quite a tight fit anyway
You may beat me to it in fitting it back on the car as it is B****Y freezing here and to cold to work out side.
__________________
]

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"

Last edited by Number 6; 7th December 2010 at 08:08..
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 08:05   #402
Mintee
Posted a thing or two
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: .
Posts: 1,054
Thanks: 172
Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I have a Renault Stat which I'll try on a CDTi tomorrow.
Could be some in line housings obsolete overnight .....if I'm satisfied with sealing and securing issues
I'd give the Renault 'stat some time before announcing that everything else is obsolete - it could be that they are less reliable than the OE Rover ones..... and Meziere can supply a 90.5C stat which will open later than a Renault 89C so will be 'better' for getting the motor to run that little bit hotter.

(But I still expect it will work fine....)
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 08:11   #403
Number 6
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Meneac
Posts: 6,759
Thanks: 5,007
Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintee View Post
I'd give the Renault 'stat some time before announcing that everything else is obsolete - it could be that they are less reliable than the OE Rover ones..... and Meziere can supply a 90.5C stat which will open later than a Renault 89C so will be 'better' for getting the motor to run that little bit hotter.

(But I still expect it will work fine....)



Do you think 1.5 degrees will make that much difference knowing how inacurat stats are any way??
I dont know myself but it has got to improve things from what it was in my particular situatiion
__________________
]

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 08:24   #404
Mintee
Posted a thing or two
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: .
Posts: 1,054
Thanks: 172
Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Do you think 1.5 degrees will make that much difference knowing how inacurat stats are any way??
I dont know myself but it has got to improve things from what it was in my particular situatiion
It will make a difference. I don't know if it will be that significant though (and for the cost saving I probably wouldn't really care!)

The only thing that would concern me is reliability in use and without seeing one and fitting it I don't know if that is likely to be an issue. There do seem to be some comments on Astra forums about it though - but that could be ham-fisted yoof bodging them into place as much as anything else. I expect they worked fine in Renaults. But with my Meziere housing and Chevy 'stat I'm not going have to bother to find that out either.
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:06   #405
paicey
Avid contributor
 
MG ZT

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Petersfield Hampshire
Posts: 220
Thanks: 7
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

i know this might sound radical..... has anyone tried running there cars without the under engine tray??? this is designed not only to protect the engine but also to direct air around the engine bay to aid cooling, my bro-in-law was trained on rover/mg and told me the other day if you see a 75 without the tray it could easily over heat, he said he had worked on a number that had done this, i have no idea as a bit of a monkey when it comes to mechanics but he is real good, always fixes my cars (and he has had to that alot with the cars i have had lol), he only mentioned this as mine is held on by cable ties lol and he said to get it fixed properly as if it comes off it wont do it any favours, he also mentioned something about the egr bypass valve, if you do the bypass it can raise the temp?? again no idea, he may have been pulling my wotsits lol but who know, i just thought i would throw my two pence worth in.
paicey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:18   #406
RichB
Gets stuck in
 
ZT260 SE, ZT-T+ CDTi

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Staffs
Posts: 583
Thanks: 13
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quick question on the top hose - I can see the spring clip on the radiator end of the hose, but can't work out what kind of clip holds the hose on at the engine end? Just looks like a steel band on mine, is that correct? If so, what's best way to remove?

Cheers,
Rich
__________________
53 MG ZT 260 SE Monogram Garnet Red #073
61 Seat Exeo ST TDI Daily Driver
99 Mazda MX-5 Turbo tracktoy
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:22   #407
RichB
Gets stuck in
 
ZT260 SE, ZT-T+ CDTi

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Staffs
Posts: 583
Thanks: 13
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paicey View Post
i know this might sound radical..... has anyone tried running there cars without the under engine tray??? this is designed not only to protect the engine but also to direct air around the engine bay to aid cooling, my bro-in-law was trained on rover/mg and told me the other day if you see a 75 without the tray it could easily over heat, he said he had worked on a number that had done this, i have no idea as a bit of a monkey when it comes to mechanics but he is real good, always fixes my cars (and he has had to that alot with the cars i have had lol), he only mentioned this as mine is held on by cable ties lol and he said to get it fixed properly as if it comes off it wont do it any favours, he also mentioned something about the egr bypass valve, if you do the bypass it can raise the temp?? again no idea, he may have been pulling my wotsits lol but who know, i just thought i would throw my two pence worth in.
May be an issue with other models, but I don't think the diesel will suffer those problems. I ran mine with the radiator completely blocked with a sheet of cardboard and barely managed to get it up to normal operating temp.

Rich
__________________
53 MG ZT 260 SE Monogram Garnet Red #073
61 Seat Exeo ST TDI Daily Driver
99 Mazda MX-5 Turbo tracktoy
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:24   #408
paicey
Avid contributor
 
MG ZT

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Petersfield Hampshire
Posts: 220
Thanks: 7
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

where abouts on the gauge should the needle be when up to temp? i have a cdt, mine sits dead middle
paicey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:29   #409
RichB
Gets stuck in
 
ZT260 SE, ZT-T+ CDTi

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Staffs
Posts: 583
Thanks: 13
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

There is deadband built into the gauge. It will read normal anywhere from about low 70's through to low 100's (as a rough guess - I'm sure somewill will chirp in with the true values).

But you can go into diagnostic mode on your dash and get it to display the temperature instead of odometer to check the true temperature. There's a How-To on here that describes the procedure.

Cheers,
Rich
__________________
53 MG ZT 260 SE Monogram Garnet Red #073
61 Seat Exeo ST TDI Daily Driver
99 Mazda MX-5 Turbo tracktoy
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:57   #410
Number 6
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Meneac
Posts: 6,759
Thanks: 5,007
Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Quick question on the top hose - I can see the spring clip on the radiator end of the hose, but can't work out what kind of clip holds the hose on at the engine end? Just looks like a steel band on mine, is that correct? If so, what's best way to remove?

Cheers,
Rich
If you look carefully you will see a metal spring that is located in the plastic housing just behind the metal band you need to pull this out to the stop(ther is a small section that you can put a small bladed screw driver into) and then the plastic part should pull out! I say should because although I have released the spring the B*****d thing still wont come apart
__________________
]

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2006-2023, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd