Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th December 2016, 16:22   #1
RayDar
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDt

Default Vehicle Excise Duty Refunds.

Sold my 75 on the 9th sent off V5 info on 10th & got acknowledgement on 17th that I am no longer the registered owner. Quite speedy for the DVLA. Why then do they warn you that the refund may not be paid for 4 to 6 weeks! Iam due 11 months refund and I would prefer it in my Bank account rather than have it residiing with the Treasury!

Another gripe; having paid a full amount of VED( £270) and then maybe only travelling say2/3k miles in a year in my 75 which had been a "hobby" car, I for one would like to see VED transfered to a tax on fuel; that way nobody would be able to get away with not paying and those that travel high mileages 20/30k per annum thus putting more wear our roads would pay a fair share of the cost of their maintenance - maybe?
RayDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 16:26   #2
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

They warn you it may take that long because they like to drag their heels.

I honestly think everybody should pay by direct debit to avoid just this situation.

They're scammers anyway - if you sell a car they don't issue a refund for a part month, but they charge the new owner for a full month for the same part month, meaning they get two months duty for that car for that particular month.

Nobody but the government would get away with that sort of pointy stick policy.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 16:52   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

more important when selling a car, is tell your insurance company as soon as its sold. if you don't and there is an accident you can end up well and truly in the mire

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 21:28   #4
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

And if you do tell the insurance company and don't then put the car on SORN or send in the ownership transfer slip they will send you a letter threatening to fine you for having a car taxed but not insured.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 21:53   #5
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDar View Post
Sold my 75 on the 9th sent off V5 info on 10th & got acknowledgement on 17th that I am no longer the registered owner. Quite speedy for the DVLA. Why then do they warn you that the refund may not be paid for 4 to 6 weeks! Iam due 11 months refund and I would prefer it in my Bank account rather than have it residiing with the Treasury!

Another gripe; having paid a full amount of VED( £270) and then maybe only travelling say2/3k miles in a year in my 75 which had been a "hobby" car, I for one would like to see VED transfered to a tax on fuel; that way nobody would be able to get away with not paying and those that travel high mileages 20/30k per annum thus putting more wear our roads would pay a fair share of the cost of their maintenance - maybe?
Don't hold your breath for the 4/6 weeks.
After seven weeks I had still not received my refund. Rings them up and they agreed I had done everything correctly and they didn't know what had happened. Told they would refund "manually" but would take around another four weeks.
Finally refunded after 11 weeks!!!!
They wanted payment in advance when I taxed the car!
Dual standards, or what?
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 15:59   #6
RayDar
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDt

Thumbs down VED Refund

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.mc.g View Post
They warn you it may take that long because they like to drag their heels.

I honestly think everybody should pay by direct debit to avoid just this situation.

They're scammers anyway - if you sell a car they don't issue a refund for a part month, but they charge the new owner for a full month for the same part month, meaning they get two months duty for that car for that particular month.

Nobody but the government would get away with that sort of pointy stick policy.
Only problem with Direct Debit is the DVLA load the cost by 5% and that makes things more expensive and the Bank Rate is no where near 5% !
Scrooge comes to mind with it getting near Xmas
Old 18th December 2016, 16:57   #7
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Yep, but you're paying for the convenience of paying in installments, that's reasonable considering it does generate a wee bit of paperwork.

Works out about £9.25 a year more for a 75 - cheap enough to make it worthwhile imho.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 21:32   #8
anddyy
Avid contributor

mg zt 180+

The direct debit works out cheaper than if you were to buy 6 months at a time, it's 10% for it 6 months, so 5% for the direct debit i thinks fair.
anddyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 10:33   #9
RayDar
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDt

Default Ved refunds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
Don't hold your breath for the 4/6 weeks.
After seven weeks I had still not received my refund. Rings them up and they agreed I had done everything correctly and they didn't know what had happened. Told they would refund "manually" but would take around another four weeks.
Finally refunded after 11 weeks!!!!
They wanted payment in advance when I taxed the car!
Dual standards, or what?
Well " I don't believe it " as Victor might say . Got my refund cheque dated 14th December this morning. THey would have only got my V5 notification on Monday 12th !! Take back all I said.
Old 19th December 2016, 12:44   #10
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDar View Post

I don't believe for a minute that free road tax would anything other than a popular move, but I don't think the idea stands up to proper scrutiny.
Let us just ignore the fact that the duty collected bears no connection to money spent on our roads. We should however consider the fact that, no matter how collected, the government will need to collect the same amount of revenue. Now we also need to consider that car enthusiasts like ourselves often tax more than one car, reading between the lines, you would probably have at least two, I have four, although not all taxed for the full year, but I still pay over £1k in road tax, and probably drive about 5 or 6k miles per year.
Now you will notice that on the face of it, I would benefit more than most from the scheme, but then the over 20k per year motorists you refer to would have to pick up the tab for my savings, and these are the business users who would simply pass the cost on to their customers (you and me)
Then we have to consider that over 80p of the cost of litre of fuel is tax, so the high mileage user is already paying through the nose for the privilege of using the roads, and your argument is that we should be paying perhaps another 5 or 10p? per litre.
Fair fuel U.K. Sponsored a fuel cost survey which showed that each 1p increase in the cost of fuel cost hundreds of jobs (which is why they were able to persuade the government not to apply the promised fuel price increases for the past six years) and contributes to inflation.
There is also the argument, that even though I don't personally use them very much, I do still need the good? roads whenever the whim takes me to take the 260 out of the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polly is offline   Reply With Quote