Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th June 2018, 14:51   #1
paul d
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Saab 93 'vert

Default "Mothballing" A Car!?

As it looks like "The Pretty One" isn't going to get sold & i'm not going to keep on wasting time, effort & money re-advertising (maybe once but no more), I will keep her.

As i'm not able to drive the car i'm considering "mothballing" it for the foreseeable future & wanted any advice people may have as to best practice in this situation.

I've not had to do this before but apart from SORN don't really know the best way to go about it, re insurance & keeping the engine, bodywork & interior in good condition.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Paul
Old 17th June 2018, 20:32   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

It depends on how long you are planning on mothballing.

If it is only going to be a few months I suggest pumping up the tyres to there maximum pressure to save them flat spotting, wash and give the body work a good waxing. Disconnect the battery or leave it on a trickle charger and leave the windows open and inch or so.

If it going to be longer I would suggest you jack the car up and place it on axle stands, empty as much out of the fuel tank as possible, disconnect the battery leave some protective wax on the paint and chrome.

After a lengthy lay up you will need to change the engine oil and brake fluid. Modern cars with all there electronics don't like being idle as contacts and joints can go high resistance.

I recently was asked to get a car roadworthy after a 48 months lay up, the car needed new brakes as the discs had all rusted, new tyres all round as two were cracked and the other two were out of shape. The fuel system needed flushing as it was left with half a tank and this smelt more like turpentine that petrol. Oddly I also had to fit a new indicator switch and headlight switch as both refused to work. With a full service and the above parts the owner wished he had sold it rather than store it.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 21:48   #3
paul d
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Saab 93 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
It depends on how long you are planning on mothballing.

If it is only going to be a few months I suggest pumping up the tyres to there maximum pressure to save them flat spotting, wash and give the body work a good waxing. Disconnect the battery or leave it on a trickle charger and leave the windows open and inch or so.

If it going to be longer I would suggest you jack the car up and place it on axle stands, empty as much out of the fuel tank as possible, disconnect the battery leave some protective wax on the paint and chrome.

After a lengthy lay up you will need to change the engine oil and brake fluid. Modern cars with all there electronics don't like being idle as contacts and joints can go high resistance.

I recently was asked to get a car roadworthy after a 48 months lay up, the car needed new brakes as the discs had all rusted, new tyres all round as two were cracked and the other two were out of shape. The fuel system needed flushing as it was left with half a tank and this smelt more like turpentine that petrol. Oddly I also had to fit a new indicator switch and headlight switch as both refused to work. With a full service and the above parts the owner wished he had sold it rather than store it.
Truth is I don't know how long the lay up would be.

At present the car is just a costly ornament for outside the house.

I can't drive it more than a mile or so & i'm not prepared to let it go for peanuts so considering alternatives.

Thanks for the input

Regards

Paul