Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 26th July 2017, 04:39   #1
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Default New car petrol and diesel stopped from 2040

It seems that the government wants to stop new cars being sold with petrol and diesel engines from 2040.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 26th July 2017, 06:11   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Yes - I saw this too

So will it be just cars? Or will buses, lorries, vans and Taxi's come under the same cut off point?
Old 26th July 2017, 06:37   #3
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Yes - I saw this too

So will it be just cars? Or will buses, lorries, vans and Taxi's come under the same cut off point?
The report says cars and vans.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 26th July 2017, 07:46   #4
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

I'd think that both diesel and petrol cars will gradually be phased out before 2040, expect prices of diesels to rise significantly and smaller increases on petrol cars with the possibility of reductions in EV & Hybrid electric/petrol vehicles. By 2040 ill be 85 if still alive, no idea if I would be driving, only the big man upstairs will know that answer.
Old 26th July 2017, 07:55   #5
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
I'd think that both diesel and petrol cars will gradually be phased out before 2040, expect prices of diesels to rise significantly and smaller increases on petrol cars with the possibility of reductions in EV & Hybrid electric/petrol vehicles. By 2040 ill be 85 if still alive, no idea if I would be driving, only the big man upstairs will know that answer.

Yes I have no doubts that the powers that be will make owning/driving a diesel/petrol car exorbitantly expensive well before that date arrives.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Old 26th July 2017, 09:40   #6
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Yes - I saw this too

Taken from the Governments manifesto:

"Our ambition is for Britain to lead the world in electric vehicle technology and use.
We want almost every car and van to be zero-emission by 2050 – and will invest £600
million by 2020 to help achieve it. We will invest in more low-emission buses, as well as
supporting audio-visual displays for bus passengers and community minibuses for rural
areas poorly served by public transport."

Presumably this latest bit of news is a step toward achieving this.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Old 26th July 2017, 10:01   #7
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

I had a Mercedes dealer proudly inform me that i would soon be able to go a full 40km in an all electric C class, so i could charge up at home, then charge up again at work to get home again.

Great. What if i wanted to nip out for a pie at lunchtime as well?
Old 26th July 2017, 15:31   #8
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC66 View Post
More than likely however the price of electric cars will need to reduce dramatically.
Prices are reducing. Keep watching as they continue to fall and a greater variety of more affordable EVs enter the market over the next couple of years. Cheapest used Leaf I've seen advertised in Ireland today is listed at €4000 - which includes the battery. With a new model due out just over a month from now, expect the prices of used Mk1s to become even more affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC66 View Post
Also disposal and renewal of their batteries etc. At present the cost of replacing batteries at the end of their 10 year lifespan makes electric vehicles worthless when they reach this age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
The batteries loose capacity far quicker than any engine will wear out and loose power.
Think how many times batteries will need replacing in a 300,000 mile taxi and then remember how many taxis are running that mileage on the original engine.

I can assure you that amount of battery replacements is far from green.
There have been significant improvements in battery chemistry of the Nissan Leaf since 2015, with owners of high-mileage versions reporting little to no loss of capacity. In any case, individual modules can be replaced in batteries which have started to lose capacity, so it simply won't be a question of having to replace an entire battery when capacity does start to drop.

Moreover, the materials in batteries are fully recyclable and can be re-used to make new batteries. A lot cleaner/greener than "single use" petrol or diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Spot the Difference

1. Traffic jam with internal combustion engine power.

2. Traffic jam with Battery or Hydrogen power.

We cant go on using up the earth resources Battery or ICE

One difference is that anyone walking past traffic jam no.2 will be able to breathe a lot easier ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
We are struggling to meet our current electricity needs for the National Grid, due to older power stations closing and the slow process of building new ones, so does this plan include a strategy for increasing power production/capacity to cope with vehicle charging ?

Whilst the shift to EVs/hybrids will improve air quality at street level in cities, if the power stations are burning more gas/coal to generate the extra power for car charging, CO2 emissions could be even higher.
"Refuelling" behaviour patterns will simply evolve. Instead of pulling into a filling station as we all do now, a huge amount of EVs will be fully charged overnight - taking all of 30 seconds to plug in and another 30 to plug out in the morning - when demand on the grid is much lower. In fact, this will help to balance demand, providing a solution to the problem of power stations having to cycle up & down. Between that and developments in grid battery storage, this will shortly eliminate the issue of intermittency with wind & solar power.

Not everyone has a driveway for overnight charging ... but plenty of people do. Many of those who don't may still find it possible to charge while at work, to rapid-charge once a week while shopping or possibly to charge overnight courtesy of the street-lamp chargers I posted about previously, if they take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
I had a Mercedes dealer proudly inform me that i would soon be able to go a full 40km in an all electric C class, so i could charge up at home, then charge up again at work to get home again.

Great. What if i wanted to nip out for a pie at lunchtime as well?
That's pretty pathetic alright. Personally I hope the Opel Ampera is built in right-hand drive - the new version will do 335 miles on a single charge. (Hands up those everyone who drives more than 300 miles in one go?) Peugeot-Citroen have bought Opel, so that should make an appearance in their models soon enough. Kind of like how BMW acquired their 4x4 knowhow ...
A Nigerian mother of three

Last edited by andymc; 26th July 2017 at 15:34..
Old 26th July 2017, 06:14   #9
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

it won't affect me then

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Old 26th July 2017, 06:20   #10
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
it won't affect me then
nor me unless I'm still driving in my 90's - !!!
Closed Thread