Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th October 2011, 13:31   #1
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Default Rear drains from sunroof.

dr1.jpg
The battlefield! Rear seat out, platic wheel arch off, rear side trim off

dr0.jpg
The culprit, water under the rear seat! not to speak about the rear foot well!

dr2.jpg
The pipe from the left rear drain off the sunroof, seen slightly above the middle of the picture, coming down the pillar behind the rear door.

dr3.jpg
The pipe disconnected from drain pipe which is hidden behind the bracket for the audio equipment

dr4.jpg
The drain behind the rear wheel arch, seen from below the car. I suggest you cut the rubber end off, to improve drainage.

I can see a black soft 12mm? pipe running down the "C" pillar behind the rear door, if I remove the corner rear seat part. It seems to continue over the first part of the wheel arch.
I suspected it terminated in the rear wheel arch, but it does not.
It terminates after the inner wheel arch at the back. There is a small triangular space where a rubber flap, similar to the ones off the front plenum exits.
Small amount of water was found. Not enough to explain the rear seat.
Trim coming off.
The pipe follows the wheelarch, and terminates at the back of the arch into the rubber plenum type discharge flapvalve. The long pipe from the rear of the sunroof is just pressed into the larger rubber discharge pipe.
When the rubber discharge gets clogged up, water will dam up in the larger pipe until the pressure becomes big enough to leak at the connecting point. Water will then discharge unto the floor at the car, in the rear, run along the wheelarch, into the section under the rear seat, and from here into the rear passenger footwell, from where there is no escape.

Solution is to clean the rubber discharge pipe, sitting at the back of the wheelarch, accessible after removing the wheelarch plastic liner. Be careful with using compressed air, if the connection splits open, the side trim will have to be removed. If the trim is removed, seal all the nuts for the chrome side trim stripe.
Addendum: the rubber discharge pipe can in fact be accessed without removing the whole plastic lining. Just remove the screw holding the little triangular extension under the car after the wheel arch, and the discharge valve i behind that little flap.! Very easy

I suggest the moderator makes an advisory regarding these rear drains from the sun-roof, as I don't think this is commonly known!

Last edited by kaiser; 8th January 2012 at 16:49.. Reason: don't need to remove the whole plastic wheel arch protector
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 06:42   #2
Longbridge Loony
Loves to post

MG6 GT SE & Rover 25 IE

Thanks for that post. Wasn't aware that was on here. However the water appears to be coming from the front of the car and not the rear. I have had the seats out to check the presence of the orange clip-and the rear of the car and under seats are bone dry.
Old 14th August 2012, 16:34   #3
cotton
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Default Rear drains on sunroof

Hi all,
I know this may sound stupid, but where are the drains in the rear of the sunroof & can they be rodded clear, and if so what can I use? I have checked the pipes in the boot and they are OK , but wanted to know if I can clean them out from sunroof end.
I am finding out a lot from the forum,but know there is soooooooooo much
more.
Don't know how to put mods done so far on bottom of this post, but will fathem it out
Cheers
John
cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 13:26   #4
peter1961
Gets stuck in

99/V connie cdt moonstone green saloon. 94/L 214 cabriolet dark blue

if you cut the pipes at an angle they are less likely to block, this particulary applies to the plenum drains.
peter1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 19:34   #5
AWD/Alba

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Sunroof drain tubes.

Hi.
I'm new to Rover ownership and to this club and forum so thanks for letting me join��.
Been looking at this thread as I have a flooded near side rear footwell and a wettish near side front footwell. Following the previous advice I located the tube connection at the bulkhead, pulled it apart and cleaned the tube. Using a syringe I flushed out the lower tube which ran freely. Then I flushed out the tube from the sunroof which drained into a small tub. That was also ok. BUT, during the latter process I noticed water dripping from below the trim of the "A" pillar at the bottom of the door. On removing the top of this trim I followed the tube to a metal spring clip holding the tube in place. Under the clip the tube had a couple of turns of the white Rover tape. Above the clip was dry, below was wet! Removing the tube from the clip and the tape from the tube revealed no splits or holes. I used silicone tape instead of the original Rover "stuff" and taped about two inches of the tube, discarded the the clip and flushed through several times and all seems fine. Finally taped the topped tube using silicone tape. Unable to get the correct size of pipe connector I shoved the pipe from whence it came, put kitchen roll at the bottom of the trim (below the glovebox). It is now raining so next job is to check if the paper is wet!

Last edited by AWD/Alba; 18th October 2016 at 19:36.. Reason: Line repeated.
AWD/Alba is offline   Reply With Quote