Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th January 2021, 17:33   #1
JMW
Avid contributor

MG ZTT CDTi MK2

Default Occasional smoke 2003 75 diesel tourer

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the following. Car started and left to idle while she warms up in the cold today, there is a bit a fuel / diesel smell outside the car and a little bit inside, this might be due to car not moving and fumes coming in through the cabin intake but still a bit of a smell.

Then blue / white smoke from exhaust at idle, and also for the first 100m under acceleration. This happened once before when it was cold over a year or more ago.

Car has done 90k, if oil was getting into the cylinders then I would expect this on startup not after several minutes. If anyone has any ideas that would be welcomed.

PCV replaced, runs smoothly with no other engine issues.

Regards

Jon

Currently driving MG ZT-T CDTi Mk 2 2004 in Lagoon and Rover 75 2003.
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2021, 18:32   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Treat it to a bottle of Forte injector cleaner.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2021, 18:52   #3
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Do you still have a CAT fitted. Mine does something similar, including when I really floor it in sport mode. No smoke normally while driving. I know it is oil and gunge that builds up in the system (both inlet and exhaust) and gets cleared out when not running efficiently.
I have noticed that is happens when I accelerate past cyclists though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the following. Car started and left to idle while she warms up in the cold today, there is a bit a fuel / diesel smell outside the car and a little bit inside, this might be due to car not moving and fumes coming in through the cabin intake but still a bit of a smell.

Then blue / white smoke from exhaust at idle, and also for the first 100m under acceleration. This happened once before when it was cold over a year or more ago.

Car has done 90k, if oil was getting into the cylinders then I would expect this on startup not after several minutes. If anyone has any ideas that would be welcomed.

Regards

Jon
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2021, 19:21   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Probably because of the way in which you warm up the engine by letting it tick over.--

The best way is to simply drive away after a few seconds. This will cut down, by a large amount, all the nasties that are being generated inside your engine.

It's these by-products that cause the fumes.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2021, 20:13   #5
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Almost impossible to get in and drive a diesel in this weather, even with a good FBH.
Assuming one actually wants to see the road that is.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 06:22   #6
JMW
Avid contributor

MG ZTT CDTi MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Treat it to a bottle of Forte injector cleaner.
Hi,

I had all the injectors out over the summer, cleaned in ultrasonic bath and re fitted, adjustments as per the ECU are 0.0, -0.3, 0.6 and -0.9 so don’t think it’s that as it has happened before and after the cleaning although only a few times.

It’s had a full service, new clutch and master and slave, new gearbox oil, can’t think why it would happen so intermittently.

Thanks

Currently driving MG ZT-T CDTi Mk 2 2004 in Lagoon and Rover 75 2003.
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 08:45   #7
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW View Post

Regards

Jon

I had that problem Marina Brian diagnosed it as a faulty injector, and this is on a car with only 36000 on the clock change all four with refurbed ones no more smoke.

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote