Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th April 2012, 17:45   #1
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Default Erm, why so little?

Changed my gearbox oil, but only collected 650ml of old oil Should be 1.4 litres that drains out

I had spilt a bit as it came out, but certainly nowhere near the same amount that I collected! Much less than a quarter of that I'd say.

There were signs of 'dampness' around the ends of the driveshafts, but certainly nothing of any great volume, no drips at all. No other signs of fluid anywhere.

The old oil was quite a thicker than the new, and was yellowy-black, with some metal specks, some a bit too big for my liking. There were signs of the filler plug being previously damaged slightly.

The gearchange seemed OK to me before the drain and fill, not silk smooth, but reasonably fine. Not taken it for a drive since refilling.

However, there has been a noise that sounded a little bit like the transmission whine on an old FWD 'A-series' gearbox. I had hoped this was the aircon compressor, which I know has a slight leak. The whine is present without aircon on, mind.

So, where has my oil gone? The engine was removed when a new clutch was put in last April, and I was told that the engine appeared to have been removed previously (presumably for the first replacement clutch, before my ownership). I wasn't charged for gearbox oil when the clutch was done, so I assume the old oil was reused.

Any ideas what happened? I should I simply monitor the situation or should I be doing something a bit more (can't think what!).

Regards all, Bolin.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote