Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st March 2019, 18:43   #311
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

If anyone wants a flyer for their car, PM me with all the details, modifications etc and I will put something together for when we leave.
Old 1st March 2019, 21:25   #312
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Well they have stated that regardless of what happens about that ‘leaving the EU’ chamozzle, they will still be running, so we won’t have to float over on the wind.
Old 2nd March 2019, 22:43   #313
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts
Default Possible place to visit on return journey

I was looking at the map of Belgium and with a slight detour on our return journey one place we could visit is the largest war graves cemetery in the world.

Near the town of Ieper in Belgium is Tyne Cot Cemetery, the largest Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery in the world. It is now the resting place of more than 11,900 servicemen of the British Empire from the First World War. There is also a memorial to 35,000 plus servicemen who have no official grave.

I think it might be fitting to pay our respects to all that have died, and the size of this cemetery show the true horrors of war.

What do people think?
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2019, 17:49   #314
bl52krz
This is my second home

I have not checked the time/distance to Tyn Cot from where we will be staying, but I don’t mind showing my respects for those that fought to save us and Europe from annihilation. I have been to the landing beaches in France, and believe me, you have to go down on your knees for the absolute bravery of those boys and men.When you drive through the near continent, and observe the flatness of the land, you wonder how any one who arrived second, as our lads did, how they survived at anytime. So yes, if we have time, I am all for a visit. What do you think Ian?
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:21   #315
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I have not checked the time/distance to Tyn Cot from where we will be staying, but I don’t mind showing my respects for those that fought to save us and Europe from annihilation. I have been to the landing beaches in France, and believe me, you have to go down on your knees for the absolute bravery of those boys and men.When you drive through the near continent, and observe the flatness of the land, you wonder how any one who arrived second, as our lads did, how they survived at anytime. So yes, if we have time, I am all for a visit. What do you think Ian?
I think it's up to the individual to decide.
That way I can't be blamed for missed trains
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:27   #316
bl52krz
This is my second home

That is a good point. The traffic around Brussels is horrendous. I know. We have been in it for over 30 years going to Germany, especially the ring road. Also stuck for 3 hours while they closed the one side( the side we were travelling on), so they could repair the road.Good job I had the SD1 3.5 V8. We ended up doing over 100mph for around an hour where we could to get the ferry. Just made it ,but the checkers at boarding had to ask the captain of the ferry if we along with some others if we could board.Luckily he said ok. Good old Rover again..

Last edited by bl52krz; 3rd March 2019 at 18:37..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2019, 11:28   #317
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Considering visiting the similarly "on the way home" cemetery at Wijtschate, where my Great uncle from WWI is buried .

But again concerned about the time and getting lost

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2019, 13:18   #318
DeeJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
Considering visiting the similarly "on the way home" cemetery at Wijtschate, where my Great uncle from WWI is buried .
But again concerned about the time and getting lost
C.
Know that route 's Hertogenbosch to Calais like the back of my hand. Do it 3 or 4 times a year, and I wouldn't advise that, unless you can get a flexible-time return Chunnel booking (generally too expensive).

Normally, if the traffic isn't bad, then it's 3 hours 15 mins. You can cruise on the limit, 90,110,120,130, but I ALWAYS add at least an extra hour, in case they decide to close the Kennedy tunnel on the Antwerp ring-road, part of the E40 (frequent occurence). Point of saying that is that when that happens, you can end up on the E17 heading towards Lille through exactly the area you are talking about. I know that you will spend a lifetime getting to Calais from there.

Stay an extra day and book your own overnight and return trip remains an option, I suppose? (Although you may get a substantial fine if you don't actually return on the 'correct' pre-booked return shuttle. I did once.)

Last edited by DeeJ; 4th March 2019 at 13:47..
DeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2019, 13:27   #319
elefsis
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Club SE Saloon

Truckers going from Calais to Germany and beyond never go via Brussels, Liege, Aachen Sud border, it is quicker and less hassle to go via Antwerp, Genk heading for the Dutch border at Heerlen known as Aachen Nord.
Old 4th March 2019, 14:07   #320
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

More ... post Brexit ... maybe possible .. etc .....
Cut N pasted ..

If you're planning to take your car to the EU following Brexit, you might need to contact your insurance provider for a Green Card.
The Green Card is proof of insurance which will be required under EU regulations as proof of insurance in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Drivers are warned that they should contact their insurance company for a Green Card a month ahead of their planned trip.
These insurance documents must be printed on green paper and be kept in the vehicle when travelling within the EU from another country. They cover the vehicle, rather than the driver - meaning you'll need just one Green Card per car.

Will need a box folder soon

Chris

PS we 're on post 321 now ... any guess on how many before we leave
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote