Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th June 2009, 06:16   #1
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Default Apple cuts price of basic iPhone to £61

Apple cuts price of basic iPhone

Apple marketing boss Phil Schiller kicked off the keynote at the show

Apple has cut the price of its iPhone 3G with 8GB of memory to $99 (£61). It made the announcement at its annual developers conference where it also unveiled a new iPhone 3GS.
The "S" is for speed, said Apple, because under the bonnet hardware improvements speed up common tasks such as rendering graphics.
The 3GS also has better battery life. Apple said it should run for 5 hours of talk time and nine hours of wi-fi net browsing between charges.
The BBC's Maggie Shiels reports from the conference that the wave of speculation that preceded the event seemed to lower expectations, with many saying the keynote address did not surprise them.
"Its not a game changing day today," said Steven Levy of Wired magazine.
"We have been trained to think that when one more thing comes out from Apple it is going to rock our world, and today that didn't happen."
However, Ge Wang, developer and founder of Smule, which develops applications for the iPhone, said he was impressed, even if it was not a headline grabbing speech.
"We are excited to make use of anything and everything we can get our hands on to make our applications more compelling and perhaps a little bit more magical," he said.
Pre phone
The iPhone 3GS can be controlled by voice and talk back to its owner about the music it is playing.
The changes also update the onboard camera to 3megapixels, up from 2megapixels in earlier versions. The iPhone 3GS can also shoot video at 30 frames per second.
The iPhone 3GS will cost $199 for a 16GB version and $299 for a 32GB version. The phone will be available from 19 June in the US and UK. No information has been given on UK prices.
It is not clear what difference the price change will make to deals in which the iPhone 3G is bundled for free.
Also unveiled at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference was a "Find my iPhone" feature for the handset that lets users find out where their lost phone has got to. The service is only available to MobileMe subscribers.
Apple said it had now sold more than 40m iPhones and iPod touch devices.
It also refreshed its MacBook laptop line, cutting prices, boosting speeds and improving the machines' battery life.
Despite widespread rumours, Apple boss Steve Jobs did not make an appearance at the conference.
The news comes only hours after handheld veteran Palm released its much-anticipated Pre phone.
While the Pre did not generate big queues, it proved popular with the small crowds that did turn up to buy one.
The Pre is available on the US Sprint network. No word has yet been given on when it will be available in the UK. O2 will be the launch network for the Pre in the UK.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 07:05   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

US Apple store prices
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ne?mco=MTE2NTQ

UK prices
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...ne?mco=MTE2NTQ

I'm only slightly confused.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 07:14   #3
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Read (2) at the very bottom of the page on the US site..........I wonder what it means to be "qualified"
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 07:29   #4
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I only posted what was up on BBC pages and as shown on TV news and Teletext.
UK always seem to drag their feet with price reductions......
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 07:33   #5
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

I think the UK price includes a year on 02 Whereas the US is price is phone only. That would account for the price difference.
Old 9th June 2009, 07:37   #6
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Read (2) at the very bottom of the page on the US site..........I wonder what it means to be "qualified"
Over 18 and a good credit record
"Requires new two-year AT&T wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:56   #7
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

I got a text from O2 today

The new iPhone OS 3.0 software which will be available from June 17 which will allow you to send contacts, photos, location info and sound files with MMS messages. The 2G cannot send these messages as said but you can text ‘MMS’ free to 1010 after you’ve installed it, and when someone sends you a picture message, we’ll send you a link so you can see it.
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 21:27   #8
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I'm on 3g and got a text about the new software, there was a link to what it entailed but i haven't looked yet

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 21:38   #9
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

Can the iPhone run Skype?

The reason I ask is I use a 3 PAYG phone but rarely pay for calls as I always use it for skype.

now that they also give 150MB free with each topup and FREE text messages if the iPhone could run Skype I may be interested in buying one.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 12:58   #10
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

And at £74 pm for a free phone on an 18m agreement or £44 on a 24m for the basic handset its a tad steep..!!

Nice to see apple have put a decent phone in the case this time! The last one, which is seemingly not to be reduced in price yet, had poor gubbins under a great U I.

The new Android devices are pretty good too now that I've played with a couple of the apps...

But I won't be steered away from my Blackberry Bold just yet .