Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd August 2022, 22:25   #1
triple e
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon, Connoisseur CDT SE Automatic 4 Door

Default Head lining Glue recommendation please

During the recent very hot weather I opened all the windows of my 75 saloon as I was driving and a combination of heat and air flow caused the head lining material to become detached above the rear window.
I assume the heat softened the glue.
Can any member please advise their experience of re gluing a head lining and the best glue to use.
Many thanks
triple e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2022, 07:39   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

It's difficult to glue the material back on successfully unless you remove all the old pu foam that is attached to the headlining.

If you do this and get new material to recover it, the best glue is the spray on heat resistant type (plenty on ebay)

It's a job that requires time and a lot of patience though.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 24th August 2022, 09:15   #3
chambl01
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Smile steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple e View Post
During the recent very hot weather I opened all the windows of my 75 saloon as I was driving and a combination of heat and air flow caused the head lining material to become detached above the rear window.
I assume the heat softened the glue.
Can any member please advise their experience of re gluing a head lining and the best glue to use.
Many thanks
Not sure if this works but have read that the glue maybe reactivated with an application of steam. This can apply some moisture back into the glue. There are those steam cleaning gadgets available for multi purpose use. I've not attempted it myself yet, but will definitely try it first before i go down the removal and re-gluing route. Its certainly worth a try if you have something like this available to hand.

I'm contemplating using the Mrs Steam iron with its separate water container, same principle, will let you know if it worked.

................Just tryed it with the power iron and didnt work. If anything it made it worse, however it helped it come off easy lol. Stick with Trikey's suggestion but mine good for removal lol.

Last edited by chambl01; 24th August 2022 at 09:41..
chambl01 is offline   Reply With Quote