Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd April 2024, 09:49   #21
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Comparing ICE’s with EV’s on a like for like basis is misleading on a grand scale. From initial purchase to trade in and uptake of 2nd hand cars, and of course fuelling, it is not like-for-like.
Quite but I meant costing comparisons with other EV vehicles in the same class but a ICE vs EV comparison in the same type of class would not be a million miles off.
Quote:
We are all at the mercy of energy providers and once again the money men are in charge. Does anyone see the very recent slight reduction in domestic energy prices as barely sufficient to repair the damage to household budgets? In a stroke they backed off due to widespread criticism and booming profits.
The unit of energy price might have reduced but the daily charge yet again increased. Thus reducing any saving.
Quote:
Overnight domestic charging for EV’s is at present relatively cheaper than liquid fuel and therefore attractive. In the trade it’s known as a ‘call bird’ – in other words a come-and-buy-me front. The energy providers can of course charge, to an extent, whatever they like and always respond to markets for their product. If and when market penetration by EV’s reaches optimum levels, er, well, ‘nuff said I think.
[/quote]
That is the present and historical situation. However, with "Smart Meters" the utility companies will have the ability to do variable charging. So what at the moment is a slack period and thus the can give cheaper tariffs if 90% of the vehicles are charged overnight then this may (and probably will) create a demand that cannot be met with our present energy baseload. How do they get over that? Charge more.

I think we are basically singing from the same hymn sheet here.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2024, 09:53   #22
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattonEnder View Post
Legally, the resposibility for vigilance sits with the driver, not the pedestrian. The Highway Code update of 2022 brought in a heirarchy of responsibility with the most vulnerable the most protected. Still, that doesn't mean that pedestrians shouldn't be unaware. It goes both ways.
Yes I know and have read the legal ruling that underlines this aspect. However, that has not stopped drivers ignoring their responsibility.
Quote:
I get what you're saying though. The silence of an EV, unless the driver has it in tyre shredding mode, is a concern. Thought our former chums in the EU were going to bring in an audio warning for speeds lower that a certain threshold?
Yes and I think the auto industry does need to look into this seriously and come up with a solution or even a variety of them.
Kev
Old 3rd April 2024, 09:56   #23
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
As my motorcycle instructor said....It doesn't really matter who is technically or legally at fault, it's you lying on the road.

Andy.
Bang on Andy. Also those with hearing impairment. Maybe some sort of automatic braking will be incorporated when the vehicle's proximity sensor identifies an object ahead or to the side.
Kev
Old 3rd April 2024, 10:02   #24
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Yes, hybrids have to have a pedestrian warning it too. I couldn't hear in our MG ZS EV whilst driving off so I asked my missus to drive up & down the service road at less than 12mph & it's barely audible,
Once you've got your ear in to listen for it then you can hear it. It sounds like a synth sound, It's on by default & I'm not sure if you can turn the volume up in the menus.
Maybe the earlier EV generation had none fitted? However, it is concerning that you and another poster has identified the "quietness" of the warning sound. That of course helps in reducing overall vehicle noise for the immediate environment but if it is so quiet as you say then it becomes next to useless and is just fitted to enable the manufacturer to tick the box set by regulators.
Kev
Old 3rd April 2024, 10:31   #25
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Maybe the earlier EV generation had none fitted? However, it is concerning that you and another poster has identified the "quietness" of the warning sound. That of course helps in reducing overall vehicle noise for the immediate environment but if it is so quiet as you say then it becomes next to useless and is just fitted to enable the manufacturer to tick the box set by regulators.
Kev

I think you're right, Some of the early EV's didn't have the pedestrian warning sound, I've just had a look & there doesn't appear to be any way of adjusting the volume up,

You can turn it off (Not sure why you would want to if you cant hear it inside the car) but it resets to on every time you switch off the car.
I've had to sound the horn a couple of times when driving up the service road as people didn't hear me coming.

I was wrong about the 12mph! The pedestrian alert sounds from 0 to 19mph when accelerating and from 15 to 0 mph when decelerating.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2024, 12:06   #26
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Headline strap on TV GB News:

Latest developments: The Automotive Industry is now urging HM GOV to reduce VAT on EV’s by half as sales plummet.

I think a revolution of another kind is seeded. Maybe it will see scrappage schemes 'delayed' and a slight shift into reverse gear.
Old 4th April 2024, 13:15   #27
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

There are way too many subsidies for 'green' products.

They need to sink or swim.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2024, 19:05   #28
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

There is huge disruption going on in the EV & legacy auto industry right now, The race is on for SDV's (software defined vehicles) with BMW teaming up with TATA motors to tap into India's software expertise & AUDI who have just invested $billions with Hyundai to make SDV technology jointly.

AUDI's CEO Döllner said that AUDI has started standardizing components and will gradually leave combustion-powered vehicle segments. “Significantly reduced sales volumes for combustion engines” are expected as early as 2026, he said, meaning it will no longer be economically feasible to continue building such vehicles.
https://www.carscoops.com/2024/04/au...erica-by-2033/

SAIC's JV's with VW & GM in China aim to slash jobs in EV factories & ICE factories.
https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...ay-2024-03-31/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2024, 13:32   #29
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
There is huge disruption going on in the EV & legacy auto industry right now, The race is on for SDV's (software defined vehicles) with BMW teaming up with TATA motors to tap into India's software expertise & AUDI who have just invested $billions with Hyundai to make SDV technology jointly.
India, certainly good at programming scams!

Quote:
AUDI's CEO Döllner said that AUDI has started standardizing components and will gradually leave combustion-powered vehicle segments. “Significantly reduced sales volumes for combustion engines” are expected as early as 2026, he said, meaning it will no longer be economically feasible to continue building such vehicles.
https://www.carscoops.com/2024/04/au...erica-by-2033/
That is to be expected from all manufacturers. Perhaps we will be left with a company that will build modular ICE engines in certain categories (such as 4-pot, v6, v8 and such). This might allow some form of volume production.
Quote:
SAIC's JV's with VW & GM in China aim to slash jobs in EV factories & ICE factories.
https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...ay-2024-03-31/
Ahhhh, the global economy.
Kev
Old 16th April 2024, 17:26   #30
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Yes, hybrids have to have a pedestrian warning it too. I couldn't hear in our MG ZS EV whilst driving off so I asked my missus to drive up & down the service road at less than 12mph & it's barely audible,
Once you've got your ear in to listen for it then you can hear it. It sounds like a synth sound, It's on by default & I'm not sure if you can turn the volume up in the menus.
I got my other half to drive my car today while I had a listen for a 'noise'.

None detected
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote