Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th February 2016, 18:34   #31
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
I think it was inside the cabin, under the trim on the parcel shelf, so you have all the hassle of removing the rear seats and seat belt anchors to get to where the soundproofing goes. Has anyone on here got an easy 'how to' for removing the parcel shelf ?

Pete
There might be one for fixing jammed rear blinds somewhere.

Here. http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/down...ile=tid015.pdf
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 10:36   #32
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, David. I'll certainly think about the Dodomat on the bulkhead. I'll get the cabin floor and doors done first, then see how it goes.

I agree there is a staggering difference in refinement between early and late cars - the only definite changes were the thinner carpet and omission of the parcel shelf soundproofing, but I think I also read somewhere that thinner door cards were used on non-PPD cars. I also think the boot carpet was much thinner on later models, but it is hard to find out exactly what changed over the years.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted

Pete
When you pointed out that parcel shelf soundproofing was deleted, i checked the project drive thread with the dates, and my July 2002 auto shouldnt have it. So i stripped out the parcel shelf plastic covers, and the pillar covers and started to take the shelf out, but when i lifted it at the front i found that the insulation is there already.

Maybe it was put back by a previous owner.

My approach to soundproofing is to tap on the panel with my knuckles and if it makes a tinny sound i slap some silent coat on. I did find that the 2 pillars for the roof were quite tinny so treated them while the covers were off. Makes me think the roof panel might benefit from treatment in the future.

As far as i can tell now, the only real difference between my pre-project drive and my post project drive cars noise wise is that the exhaust booms a bit more on the later car having only the 2 boxes in it.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 11:16   #33
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
When you pointed out that parcel shelf soundproofing was deleted, i checked the project drive thread with the dates, and my July 2002 auto shouldnt have it. So i stripped out the parcel shelf plastic covers, and the pillar covers and started to take the shelf out, but when i lifted it at the front i found that the insulation is there already.

Maybe it was put back by a previous owner.

My approach to soundproofing is to tap on the panel with my knuckles and if it makes a tinny sound i slap some silent coat on. I did find that the 2 pillars for the roof were quite tinny so treated them while the covers were off. Makes me think the roof panel might benefit from treatment in the future.

As far as i can tell now, the only real difference between my pre-project drive and my post project drive cars noise wise is that the exhaust booms a bit more on the later car having only the 2 boxes in it.
That's interesting David

Was July 2002 the registration or the manufacturing date of your car ? Some cars can have a manufacturing date several months earlier than their registration date depending on how long they were kept at the factory/distributors/dealers etc. before being registered/sold.

How hard did you find it to remove the parcel shelf - did you follow the 'how to' for the rear sun blinds ?

cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 14:38   #34
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

No need to remove the rear shelve to see if the sound proofing is there.

My 2005 75 diesel has it too,
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 15:58   #35
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

my 2004 it is there...
Old 12th February 2016, 16:13   #36
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Perhaps the project drive info. we have is out of date - perhaps the parcel shelf sound proofing was added back for the facelifts (or just on diesels ??) Either way, I am not going to worry now about putting extra deadening under the shelf - I will concentrate on the doors and under the carpet (with possible addition of PPD carpet if I can find a decent one).

Cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2016, 11:06   #37
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Ive pulled a 2001 Rover 75 to bits once and the carpet on the floor did have a good thick slab of sound proofing in it as compared to my 2003.
As pointed out the date of manufacture and registration can differ alot.
Ive owned a late 2002 Rover 75 that was infact manufactured April 2001 but given it had to be sent to Australia it makes some sense, thus it still had all the good gear build wise in it.
Seems over here mid / late 2003 cars started the have the cut backs on materials.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote