Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th February 2019, 12:24   #41
ATSBod

Ford Mondeo

Well, we've found the problem. David hired a mobile mechanic, who checked it out and found that there was no antifreeze in the coolant, just plain water. Consequently, during the -7 degree weather last week, the whole thing had frozen solid so that when I tried to start it, the cambelt must have jumped, with the result that the piston smacked a valve. Turning the crank manually, the engine turns so far then jams solid. The mechanic removed the plugs and visually checked the pistons, confirming the above.

So, it's either a top-end rebuild or a replacement engine
ATSBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 12:49   #42
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSBod View Post
Well, we've found the problem. David hired a mobile mechanic, who checked it out and found that there was no antifreeze in the coolant, just plain water. Consequently, during the -7 degree weather last week, the whole thing had frozen solid so that when I tried to start it, the cambelt must have jumped, with the result that the piston smacked a valve. Turning the crank manually, the engine turns so far then jams solid. The mechanic removed the plugs and visually checked the pistons, confirming the above.

So, it's either a top-end rebuild or a replacement engine
Terrible news. The next step is to investigate whether or not the block has cracked from the ice in the water jackets. It must have. Ice in the water jackets wouldn't prevent engine rotation, even after cracking the block or head. Oh, wait, the timing belt drives the water pump, doesn't it. How could a new engine possibly be released without antifreeze? Was the cooling system drained for some reason after the rebuild? A drop-in from a wrecker is probably the most economical way to go now. Wow, I am so sorry for David.

Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 13:30   #43
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
How could a new engine possibly be released without antifreeze?

When bones had the replacement engine (not new by any stretch) the coolant had a 10% blue antifreeze mix added, due to the amount of nasty stuff floating about (three engine flushed and it still showed traces of gunk)

Bones was due a heater matrix change too, so I advised dawn that the correct coolant should be done following this change.
Old 5th February 2019, 13:39   #44
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
When bones had the replacement engine (not new by any stretch) the coolant had a 10% blue antifreeze mix added, due to the amount of nasty stuff floating about (three engine flushed and it still showed traces of gunk)

Bones was due a heater matrix change too, so I advised dawn that the correct coolant should be done following this change.
I think that may have sounded like a shot at you, but it was not meant to be, at all. Mistakes and oversights can happen, but I really thought there must have been more to the story. Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 14:06   #45
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

That's bad news!

Sounds like the water pump was frozen solid, the engine turned but the cam belt couldn't turn the water pump so shed a few teeth or jump a few teeth. And this is the result. However, if it's any consolation at least the engine wasn't actually running so internal damage should be fairly minimal.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 16:02   #46
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Shame. Sorry to say but this car sounds like a nightmare. Maybe, time to call it a day on it....especially, if it’s taking that much of a toll on you and your health...

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 17:19   #47
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

I'm not prepared to give up on her just yet. I promised Dawn I'd look after her and I intend to honour that promise.

Right now I'm looking at second hand engines that could potentially fit the bill. Am I right in thinking one from a Freelander would fit? They seem to be the most common 1.8 engines available right now.
Old 5th February 2019, 17:19   #48
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I did put on the advert that Bones needed a new matrix and that I was supplying one with her, which I did. I hadn't realized in any way shape or form that there wasn't enough antifreeze in her to keep her safe, though, or I would have had it changed for what a coolant flush costs. I am so sorry this is all happening - its like an action replay of my time with her. I should have scrapped her myself and not put any other engines in, it would have saved us both a lot of heartache.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 17:35   #49
Bogbrush82

BMW X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I did put on the advert that Bones needed a new matrix and that I was supplying one with her, which I did. I hadn't realized in any way shape or form that there wasn't enough antifreeze in her to keep her safe, though, or I would have had it changed for what a coolant flush costs. I am so sorry this is all happening - its like an action replay of my time with her. I should have scrapped her myself and not put any other engines in, it would have saved us both a lot of heartache.
Don't beat yourself up about it Dawn, it wasn't your fault - It's just one of those things and it could have happened to anyone. The main thing now is to try and fix her up and get her ready for the Nano in March.
Old 5th February 2019, 18:37   #50
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 View Post
Rang them up this morning to find out what the latest was on Bones, and it's bad news. The engine has seized and needs replacing.

So now I need to source a replacement engine, and with £450 quid sunk into her already, I'm in a real pickle. Does anybody out there have an engine they're willing to part with? They've said they'll fit it for £150 if I can get one.

Yours desperately:

David.
Perhaps an apology to the garage for their correct diagnosis of an engine failure and a refund for the incorrectly diagnosed starter motor would be the first course of action .
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote