Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th May 2018, 17:39   #1
agw_01
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default Changed ITP, now getting 'low fuel pressure'

Hi guys,

Need some pointers please.

My car had a dead ITP so I was always sure to keep the tank over 1/4 full. Had no problems at all with it running.

Replaced the ITP with a genuine VDO pump from Jules and decided to see how low I could get the tank. It started cutting out at 1/8 with a low fuel pressure warning.

Filled the tank and ended up having to replace the pump seal so the car sat around for a few days. Started to use it again, drove about 150 miles without issue. The car had just over 3/4 at this point.

I started the car the next morning and shortly after setting off it started cutting out with the low fuel pressure warning. It'd restart fine but must have cut out about 10 times before I got to the petrol station 200 yds up the road.

Thought that perhaps air was getting into the corrugated pipe that I'd slightly damaged so filled the tank and drove to work. Everything seemed to be ok.

Got some fuel hose and fuel hose clips so with an almost full tank, I've just 'fixed' the scavenger and fitted the new fuel hose. Started the car, haven't even attempted to drive it and it keeps cutting out. It'll restart without issue and cut out again.

When I first let the car run low and refilled it, when I turned the ignition on, I could hear air rushing through the pump which is what made me think perhaps air was getting in. Now the tank is almost full and I'm still having issues.

What could I have done wrong when changing the pump? Do the rubber hangers have to be a certain way up? Does the pump have to be orientated a certain way?

The cutting out does seem as though it's linked to the fuel sloshing around the tank and away from the pump pick up, but at 3/4 of a tank and above?

Wish I'd left it alone now!

Last edited by agw_01; 5th May 2018 at 17:41..
agw_01 is offline   Reply With Quote