Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st July 2013, 22:32   #51
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
I cant and wont speak for the effect of the synergy on the engine, but there is no doubt changing the intake has a positive effect on a synergy equipped car in terms of response, and that was all I was ever arguing.

So where is the nearest 160 mapper to Exeter?
Postman Pat
Three day turnaround via mine or Russ's postal option, you won't be sorry
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 22:35   #52
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Ah ok then.. thats different. Ill even put the standard intake back on for it.. Now the biggy.. How much?

Maybe ill do that instead of the X-power side skirts..
Old 21st July 2013, 22:38   #53
BIG LEK
Banned

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Postman Pat
Three day turnaround via mine or Russ's postal option, you won't be sorry
Brian
Blimey Bri has postman pat had the upgrade as well, has it made much of a difference to his van then
BIG LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 08:34   #54
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts
Default Good Thread.

Thanks to all who posted regarding this, it's given me a better understanding of how the fuel/air system works. Don't want to share anyone's view and don't want to start another discussion either All in all a good read, Cheers.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 17:46   #55
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Really interesting thread, thanks chaps. I read the old air intake modification threads with interest when they were all the rage, but I would never leave an intake in a hot engine bay: I did not ever modify mine (although I planned, and may still do an intake system via a cold air plenum in the nearside wing).

However, if Russ and Brian have optimised a map with a completely standard intake, well I think this has to be the best stealth modification hasn't it? The engine bay will look better for it!

In an ideal world where I had the money, I would go for a ported head, warmer cams, a better exhaust manifold, de-cat, an up-graded turbo and a larger intercooler. That would, however, be a lot of money, and goodness knows what the knock-on effect that would have on transmission and engine internals if it all worked!

160bhp seems like a sensible target, with sensible torque levels and achieved with minimal other modifications. The question of mechanical longevity arises, but I am sure that this information will become available as owners accumilate the miles.

So I am really tempted. Anyone got a How-to on removing the old ECU and fitting one of Brian and Russ's exchange items?
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 20:20   #56
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Hi Rob, erm, it's not an exchange thing, unless you're joking, you post your ECU and it comes back re-mapped. Or like me you go on a road trip, get it done and enjoy the ride home. They are quite easy to remove if you're a bit handy. We like to travel so was a mini break for us
Old 26th July 2013, 18:00   #57
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

I'll take anything apart - whether it all goes back together again is another question! LOL

I like your thought of enjoying the road trip back home though - perhaps that is what I should do?
Old 26th July 2013, 19:54   #58
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Well, wife likes to get the best deal on hotels. We stayed in Liversedge, got 2 meals for £10 at a newly re-furbished pub called 'The Liversedge' and Russ lived 2 miles away. Russ is not just a re-mapper, he's a diesel guru.
Old 28th July 2013, 20:57   #59
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Russ might be the person to finally resolve the problems I've had with our CDTi from since we bought it: it may only be a 116, but somehow it's never really been "right" if you know what I mean.

I'll look into this in more detail when I get back from holiday!
Old 29th July 2013, 02:41   #60
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

>>>The turbo is just blowing its pressure out and therefore spinning faster to try to reach the correct boost<<<

Actually I thought the turbo was driven by the exhaust flow? Therefore it can't "do" anything, it simply reacts to its input from the cars output, the cars input doesn't in itself, drive/effect the turbo speed directly...

As for longevity after a remap, mine was done back in 2009 (approx 150bhp by Khaos) at about 140K and is now on 170k and still drives beautifully.. --- And/but I have a synergy2 set on tuner 6 with a working Bosch MAF running with it, and, it does add some speed/power.....
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote