Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th June 2014, 16:32   #11
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Do you drive at night often? Or only during the day?

When the air is warm it can absorb more water, but when the air cools the relative humidity goes up. When it reaches a certain point the air can't hold the water anymore and condensation will form on a surface (like the windows).
When you drive during the day (and there is a high humidity), the warm air gets inside the cabin, when it turns really cold at night, it needs to get rid of the moisture in the air because it has cooled down.

Might not be the case, but I just thought I'd throw it out there...
Old 6th June 2014, 19:48   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FezzyFox View Post
Mine doesn't fog up at all until I use the A/C. When I switch it off, my windows fog up near enough instantly.
Snap! It's a difficult one to diagnose, but using the air con. produces moisture at the evaporator. So if the drain tubes are clear, my theory is that the evaporator needs an application of bactericide. It's one of those things that I'm going to do tomorrow.

Simon
Old 6th June 2014, 20:34   #13
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

If you have a sunroof, the drains probably aren't blocked, they probably don't reach the front drain tube connections on the wheel arch, so any water drops into the cabin.
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 08:45   #14
FezzyFox
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 180 Sports Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Snap! It's a difficult one to diagnose, but using the air con. produces moisture at the evaporator. So if the drain tubes are clear, my theory is that the evaporator needs an application of bactericide. It's one of those things that I'm going to do tomorrow.

Simon

At least i'm not alone then

I have tried running 2 of those 'Air Con Bombs' through the system. I used Comma ones and they do smell really nice compared to others out there

De-oderises the car very nicely, but hasnt cured my fogging issue.

Maybe it's becuase i hvent used the A/C for 6 months owing the the low speed resistor going. Didnt want to damage the compressor.

Will use it 24/7 for a while and see if it clears itself out.
Commission #24666
FezzyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 10:14   #15
woolleysox
This is my second home

Black V8 Ztt 260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorksMG2013 View Post
I do 'rod the plenum' regularly (honest Officer, it's not how it sounds...!), but maybe pollen filter needs checking

Can anyone advise on how to check for blockages on sunroof drains?

Andrew

Type in sun roof drains into search tool bar Article has done a how too worth a look

Rob
woolleysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 10:18   #16
SD1too

Quote:
I have tried running 2 of those 'Air Con Bombs' through the system.
De-oderises the car very nicely, but hasnt cured my fogging issue.
Agreed. We both need a specific bactericide which is sprayed directly onto the surface of the evaporator. Autokool's foaming evaporator cleaner sounds promising.
Quote:
Maybe it's becuase i hvent used the A/C for 6 months owing the the low speed resistor going. Didnt want to damage the compressor.
First you should renew your resistor as soon as you can. Secondly, by not using the air conditioning you risk losing the refrigerant gas through unlubricated seals. It should be run at least once a month all the year round. Thirdly, your compressor won't be damaged. As the refrigerant pressure rises the fast fan speed will trigger. This will happen normally in very hot conditions when the slow speed provides insufficient cooling. Even if both speeds have failed, the trinary high pressure switch will disable the compressor clutch to prevent damage.
Quote:
Will use it 24/7 for a while and see if it clears itself out.
It won't! We both need to remove whatever is holding the moisture.

Simon
Old 7th June 2014, 19:49   #17
Bobbybiscuit
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Classic SE

To help clear the condensation there are many products where you can put a container of water absorbent crystals in the car to help dry it out. I bought some for my Rover when it was off the road and the inside was showing signs of damp. Once dried out it kept the car from from damp. You can buy crystals that once saturated you can microwave to dry them out.

The damp was coming from water that was penetrating the car because a drain hole was blocked blocked on one side of the car (not the plenum drain holes). Its worth the investment.
Bobbybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 07:31   #18
FezzyFox
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 180 Sports Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbybiscuit View Post
To help clear the condensation there are many products where you can put a container of water absorbent crystals in the car to help dry it out. I bought some for my Rover when it was off the road and the inside was showing signs of damp. Once dried out it kept the car from from damp. You can buy crystals that once saturated you can microwave to dry them out.
I remember those.

We had about 4 in the back of an 820 Vitesse fastback. Had to renew them every week
Commission #24666
Old 9th June 2014, 07:34   #19
FezzyFox
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 180 Sports Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Agreed. We both need a specific bactericide which is sprayed directly onto the surface of the evaporator. Autokool's foaming evaporator cleaner sounds promising.

First you should renew your resistor as soon as you can. Secondly, by not using the air conditioning you risk losing the refrigerant gas through unlubricated seals. It should be run at least once a month all the year round. Thirdly, your compressor won't be damaged. As the refrigerant pressure rises the fast fan speed will trigger. This will happen normally in very hot conditions when the slow speed provides insufficient cooling. Even if both speeds have failed, the trinary high pressure switch will disable the compressor clutch to prevent damage.

It won't! We both need to remove whatever is holding the moisture.

Simon

I have replaced the resistor. Got a kit from Jules about a week ago, so all is good now.

the moisture issue to be honest, is a lot better than it was. I've had the A/C Running every day to and from work for the last week. I still get window fog when i turn it off however. But better than it was.

Will try some of Autokool's stuff & report back
Commission #24666
Old 9th June 2014, 08:07   #20
SD1too

Quote:
Will try some of Autokool's stuff & report back
These bactericides need to be sprayed directly onto the evaporator surface. nebrog23 posted a clever way of reaching it.

Simon