Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th June 2014, 07:57   #1
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Default Feel Alienated With The Old Car Club I Rejoined

I have been a member of many car clubs over the years because I like to know more and meet people who had an interest in that marque.

But earlier this year I rejoined an Old Car Club and went on a run of 86 miles (Sunday 7th June 2014) finishing off at a Hotel for a 3 course meal, which was very nice.

Luckily I was following a member who knew the route as I was well out of my comfort zone and being on my own made it impossible to follow the written route.
I used nearly 4 gallons of fuel because many of the villages in the South Hams have a speed limit of 20mp.
Plus all the cyclists who decide to ride up a hill in the middle of a road and hold everyone up.
(I used to be a cyclist myself so always give them space)

Now I know my car isn't what can classed as a Classic Car due to the fact that it's only 10 years old but being told that I couldn't have my car in the photo lineup even though there was a BMW Z3 present kind of makes me feel why should I bother?

But it's the number of sly digs that I keep getting on the fact, 'your car is not old enough' and 'it's too modern'.
Thick skinned I am but this starting to get to me, it's really ticking me off.

I will talk to anyone and have never been afraid to introduce myself but having people turn their back on you is downright rude and bad manners in my book.

I have realised that the car I have bought needs quite a lot of TLC because of the issues it has and have been keeping on top of these, coolant level being the most important.
So I pay more attention to this car than I used to with my previous car which was a Honda Accord.

But saying that it does run well and there aren't that many 1.8T's around that I have seen, where I live.

I don't get out much and have no family alive anymore so I thought rejoining this Old Car Club would be a good thing, but it seems not!

Neil
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 08:07   #2
SirRustalot
Gets stuck in

Box of ales and some cheap sunglasses

This is interesting. I say this as I've been a member of a few clubs relating to my hobbies and when it comes to cars in perticular, it does have its share of...erm...'slappables'.

I recently got rid of my classic Spitfire - it was a cracker and I rebuilt and modified her over 14 years - because I was getting sick of know-it-alls reading me the riot act at club meets or shows. The trouble is, everyone's an expert. Even selling parts or light involvement on anything relating to it used to cause me angst. Even when I sold the car itself it was a journey of grief and what should have been a straightforward transaction turned out to be the stuff of nightmares.

Sadly, every club is run by a committee and anyone with a thirst for power who likes the feel and sound of a large bunch of keys jangling from their waist belt seem to gain a place.

My advice, leave them, do your own thing. This forum/club is the clear exception in my experience. Everyone on here is helpful and friendly, helped by the fact that it's well moderated, utilising sense and empathy.
Old 13th June 2014, 08:09   #3
FezzyFox
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 180 Sports Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
I have been a member of many car clubs over the years because I like to know more and meet people who had an interest in that marque.

But earlier this year I rejoined an Old Car Club and went on a run of 86 miles (Sunday 7th June 2014) finishing off at a Hotel for a 3 course meal, which was very nice.

Luckily I was following a member who knew the route as I was well out of my comfort zone and being on my own made it impossible to follow the written route.
I used nearly 4 gallons of fuel because many of the villages in the South Hams have a speed limit of 20mp.
Plus all the cyclists who decide to ride up a hill in the middle of a road and hold everyone up.
(I used to be a cyclist myself so always give them space)

Now I know my car isn't what can classed as a Classic Car due to the fact that it's only 10 years old but being told that I couldn't have my car in the photo lineup even though there was a BMW Z3 present kind of makes me feel why should I bother?

But it's the number of sly digs that I keep getting on the fact, 'your car is not old enough' and 'it's too modern'.
Thick skinned I am but this starting to get to me, it's really ticking me off.

I will talk to anyone and have never been afraid to introduce myself but having people turn their back on you is downright rude and bad manners in my book.

I have realised that the car I have bought needs quite a lot of TLC because of the issues it has and have been keeping on top of these, coolant level being the most important.
So I pay more attention to this car than I used to with my previous car which was a Honda Accord.

But saying that it does run well and there aren't that many 1.8T's around that I have seen, where I live.

I don't get out much and have no family alive anymore so I thought rejoining this Old Car Club would be a good thing, but it seems not!

Neil

Sounds extremely harsh, and doesn't set a very good image for the club. But as has been mentioned a lot lately, every club has cliques of some sort.

But still, that's no way to treat another car enthusiast.

The way the world should be...

Commission #24666
FezzyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 08:11   #4
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

The way I look at things like this is simple; time is precious and I don't like to waste it. I would rather spend time with and have fun alongside real friends and enthusiasts. Regarding old car clubs; they seriously need to adapt; younger people are the future and will be put off with closed minded attitudes...

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 08:27   #5
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Hi Neil,

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with your old car club.
They do sound a bit stuck up and rude!
All I can say is you belong to a great club here, get yourself along to some of the many meets arranged within this club and you will be with like minded individuals who appreciate our marque
Old 13th June 2014, 09:02   #6
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRustalot View Post
This is interesting. I say this as I've been a member of a few clubs relating to my hobbies and when it comes to cars in perticular, it does have its share of...erm...'slappables'.

I recently got rid of my classic Spitfire - it was a cracker and I rebuilt and modified her over 14 years - because I was getting sick of know-it-alls reading me the riot act at club meets or shows. The trouble is, everyone's an expert. Even selling parts or light involvement on anything relating to it used to cause me angst. Even when I sold the car itself it was a journey of grief and what should have been a straightforward transaction turned out to be the stuff of nightmares.

Sadly, every club is run by a committee and anyone with a thirst for power who likes the feel and sound of a large bunch of keys jangling from their waist belt seem to gain a place.

My advice, leave them, do your own thing. This forum/club is the clear exception in my experience. Everyone on here is helpful and friendly, helped by the fact that it's well moderated, utilising sense and empathy.
I used to own a 1968 Austin Mini Traveller which had been in the Family for 32 years and I traveled miles going to shows but eventually I sold her.
Was a member of several Mini Clubs and Loads of Classic Car Clubs.

But my life changed and eventually I sold her, these days it's physically impossible for me to get into a Mini let alone get out of one....lol

I have enough issues getting in and out of the Rover but at least it's a lot bigger and I can do it.

I have noticed the trips here but I have a thing about driving on Motorways at the moment where it freaks me out.
I haven't driven on one for over 6 years, even dual carriageways make me jittery and I have no idea why.
A & B roads I'm fine.

I'm going to Powderham, unfortunately I'm booked in with the TOWC but I did used to like that show so won't let that put me off.
Plus I'm going to the show out at Chudleigh.

Will have a look around to see what else is available locally as I know there are plenty of shows or at least there used to be.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 11:13   #7
billericaymgxpower
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Nissan Patrol, Volkswagen Touareg, Vauxhall Frontera

Large bunch of keys hanging from waist! Love it. It's so true. Always there though, jumped up official self important oafs where events would run much smoother without. Give them a committee and a badge
billericaymgxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 11:31   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
I used to own a 1968 Austin Mini Traveller which had been in the Family for 32 years and I traveled miles going to shows but eventually I sold her.
Was a member of several Mini Clubs and Loads of Classic Car Clubs.

But my life changed and eventually I sold her, these days it's physically impossible for me to get into a Mini let alone get out of one....lol

I have enough issues getting in and out of the Rover but at least it's a lot bigger and I can do it.

I have noticed the trips here but I have a thing about driving on Motorways at the moment where it freaks me out.
I haven't driven on one for over 6 years, even dual carriageways make me jittery and I have no idea why.
A & B roads I'm fine.

I'm going to Powderham, unfortunately I'm booked in with the TOWC but I did used to like that show so won't let that put me off.
Plus I'm going to the show out at Chudleigh.

Will have a look around to see what else is available locally as I know there are plenty of shows or at least there used to be.
It is hard for others who are unaffected by seemingly irrational situations. I say seemingly irrational,because whilst I do appreciate your problem,I have to admit I cannot understand it,and am sure others are the same. I can't imagine not being able to drive where I could. So please forgive my suggestion if it offends, as I know some things are easier said than done. Have you tried driving on a motorway in the early hours of the morning,say 3am and perhaps at a weekend? To perhaps build a little confidence on the motorway,and allow you to drive at your own pace without others driving down your neck so to speak.

As for the op, I have often looked around various club sites,for different cars I have had,but never felt welcomed or supported with my car. This is the first site I have joined like this,let alone paid a membership for!

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 11:39   #9
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

Quote:
...'slappables'.
Every one knows at least one. And if you don't, then it's you.

I think there is a difference between old cars and classic cars. To me, the 75 is a new car and is the newest vehicle I've owned by some way. However classic status is not age related.

And the reverse is also true, just because a car is old does not make it a classic.

Having a Z3 included in a group photo where the 75 is excluded smacks of hypocrisy, snobbery and bad judgement.
Old 13th June 2014, 12:38   #10
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:

I do hope the Triumph club in question wasn't the TSSC, I would be most disappointed being an ex-member myself as well as my father who was one of the really early members (20 or something, I can't recall exactly) and having been to many club dos and meets from the age of 13 - 30. Sadly I had to let my Herald (Dolomite 1500 engine with twin SU) go due to financial pressure (no money). Couldn't afford to get another road worthy one now!.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote