Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th January 2016, 11:16   #211
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

I'm not knocking you for having your own opinion, you're entitled to it and I respect that. However it's the words you use to describe it that I object to: "aweful", "horribly done", "badly build", "It looks like it has been done by somebody who never done any interior ever." (sic)

That's wild exaggeration (and that's being kind) and in my book rather insulting.

It's not a production release car from a major manufacturer. It's not 100% perfect in every way and I don't think it was meant to be. It's done by a highly skilled engineer who is showing what is possible. I'm in Pembrokeshire a few times a year and I hope I'll see a glimpse of it in the future driving around the quiet roads there.
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 09:17   #212
YorksMG2013
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE & MG ZT 260

Default Coupe - differing views

Most posts on the Coupe recreation have been positive (my own included) and yet we are all entitled to our views and to express them.

If someone doesn't like what has been done (or how it has been done) then fine.
Constructive criticism is something we should all welcome, but criticism for its own sake adds nothing to the discussion.

As has been said earlier, this wasn't done with a mind to production, and other posters have made suggestions as to how they might have changed certain details to suit their own personal tastes.

My hat remains off to Gerry

To be fair to all parties, Supervinnie has clarified and expanded on his original comments, and has acknowledged the effort put in to get us to this point.

Where we are now is that there exists a 2nd coupe which is an amazing thing (when one considers that Gerry doesn't have the financial backing of a motor manufacturer behind him), which has whetted the appetites of many on here.
Could things be improved and altered? Of course, but it is a great effort as it is.

Just my 10 pence worth....

Andrew
Now joined by the Blue Beast - MG ZT 260 #57 in Trophy Blue
YorksMG2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 12:50   #213
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Seriously the guy builds a car himself and you pick fault wtf.
It's that good as I said before the designer of the original car even commented how good it is. I think that says it all
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 14:20   #214
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Everybody is entitled to their opinions of course but what we dont want is for Gerry to think twice about posting about his projects on here and take things to heart, he has designed and built this with tremendous skill and effort, without the financial back up a manufacturer would have, and it gets my vote as post of the decade on here !

The majority on here find his projects fascinating and well worthwhile, personally i would like him to post much more often !

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 7th January 2016 at 14:30..
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 19:49   #215
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Putting it bluntly.

If i could afford too i would throw money at him to buy a coupe, ZT though
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 19:53   #216
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
Putting it bluntly.

If i could afford too i would throw money at him to buy a coupe, ZT though
I'm keen to see how the MG lifestyle coupe turns out - extreme kit with RWD 32v V8...
Old 7th January 2016, 20:38   #217
markm1741
Banned

rover 75 v6

Default attention to detail to finish

each to his own, I think it's a truly fabulous build and shows what can be done with dedication and time spent ! but with what's been achieved here with this build the hardest bit was the build of the coupé its self panels, floor roof windows the lot. to me it's like any euro trash fab looks finish inside tat, the trim detail should match the Quality of the coupe and build and overall attention to finish, paint detail, exhaust, bmw window trims made to fit now that's where the time is. so why rush the inside ? which in terms of looks the outside took the most time, the same time or less spent on the trim if you think about it would clearly make this car out of the box, its as if he thought job done throw it in.

5th January 2016, 10:38 #208 Supervinnie40
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8 Club

I never said the man hasn't got devotion. He obviously put a lot of time into this.
However, he spent a lot of time on the exhaust and very little on the leather covering the dashboard. Why? Why not dot the i's in every corner. He has spent so much time, money and effort into this, only to completely miss out on several finishing touches. Why?
if those things were don't as nice as some of the other parts, then it would've been amazing. Now it's a nice effort, but not really there yet.
markm1741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 21:37   #218
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Personally I think the guy is a genius, out of all the cars he has made this is the icing on top, I know the genuine Rover article was only a mock up really and was never intended to be a production showcase but merely something to woo the Chinese however this shows how good the vehicle would have looked out in the road had Rover had the money with no financial restraints and allowed the designers and engineers off the leash long enough to be able to put something like this in production.

with all the positive comments I hope that the poor chap that spent many many hours making this vehicle and making such a tremendous job of it is rightly pleased with his work.

as for the negative comment it was very very harsh considering what the poor guy has went through to build this and a reminder of what everyone's mum used to tell them....if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all.
Old 7th January 2016, 22:03   #219
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default My First and only comment about this.

I've held off from making any comments about this car. I'm sure that myself like others here think it was a welcome posting. I note that the OP has asked for all comments good or bad, it's a posting that he wants answers for and to, not to be fawned over as if everything is perfect, he knows it's not and wants to be guided by what is said here.
I'll put my hands up here, I've been drawing plans to do this for the last two years, after I get my other stuff done this is on my list. I won't build one that looks the same, I have many ideas that will come into play but, I'm very thankful that this car has been done and shown here, he's done a great job and a pat on the back is due. As and when I start doing this, I too won't say a thing until it shows up at a show, that's all I'm going to say about that.
This car shows a small fragment of what Rover could have done, it's a better built car than the prototype, have a look at the pictures, the Rover panel fit is terrible on their Coupe. I'm sure that a few of these cars will show over time, I can only hope that somewhere in the future we'll all get one!
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 22:17   #220
S10 MG
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke666 View Post
I'm keen to see how the MG lifestyle coupe turns out - extreme kit with RWD 32v V8...
Spoke to Chris today. Engine and running gear now installed. I am up there next Friday and he hopes to have running.

And As for this coupe, simply stunning. In complete awe of the skill and effort required.

Iain
S10 MG is offline   Reply With Quote