Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th January 2016, 20:45   #91
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
I promise to update this with a proper story and pics, vids of the wild dogs guarding the police compound.

Im just so tired at the moment all I can do is sleep!

Work tomorrow too!
Aw well I trust you are home with your car and hopefully your belongings
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 22:12   #92
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

My neighbours both retired seem to get up at 6 I mean why would you do that?
Old 18th January 2016, 22:20   #93
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

I double my age and then some until I reach retirement age, I'm just looking forward to getting up when I want (and if I want) and never having to worry about being places on time ever
Old 18th January 2016, 23:44   #94
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Got up at 6.00am for 40 years. don't any longer. I have always gone to bed at around 1.00am. twit to woo. Lovely to get up now around 8.30am. And I am glad that the problem you had with you car in Sareavo, scum bags in every country, has come to a proper end.
Old 21st January 2016, 10:50   #95
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

OK an update..:-

I left Dundee at 20:40 on the Sunday night, got an overnight coach which arrived in London Victoria the next day at 7AM, then hopped on the 9AM to Cologne... This took the tunnel, and arrived in Cologne at 19:30pm. I had the nice experience of seeing a load of migrants in and around Cologne, lots of police everywhere, but NONE of them seemed like they were from Syria, all African looking, shouting, urinating, etc etc, no families, no women, 100% men.

Spent the night in Cologne, then the next day got the 08:50 from Cologne Airport on the Megabus for £3 to Munich, which arrived in Munich at 18:20 on the Tuesday. Again, Munich city centre, migrants urinating everywhere, dropping rubbish, fighting, etc etc, Two girls from my hostel were sexually assaulted that same evening by them too. All of them were African looking, no women, no children, no one who "looked" of Syrian origin, to me at least, Police were not really around. Lots of bad behaviour from these people. Kept my wits about me and having a skinhead I think made the difference in being left alone.

So spent the night in Munich relaxing, then the next day had a lovely breakfast, and got the tram up to the hospital that I had to stay in last time when I had this blood transfusion on the way back from the last Bosnia "experience" and dropped some chocolates off.

Spent the rest of the afternoon pottering around, then got the 19:30 Eurolines bus to Sarajevo... to arrive in Sarajevo at 12:30 on Thursday...

Upon arrival in Sarajevo, the city was shrouded in a chemical fog essentially, because the gas price is so high, everyone just burns whatever they can to keep warm... mostly wood of course, but anything goes, and all this stuff just hangs in the valley, in the still air, for days and days at a time.

The hostel owner who I knew really well by now, took me to the relevant police station to act as translator, and after an hour or so we went to the "compound" out near Butmir and the airport...

Things were looking pretty shady out there, and they had 150 dogs roaming around the compound, with the most vicious ones on chains.... We drove in, and had a look around for my car, and lo and behold we spotted it! None of us could leave the safety of the police car, as the dogs were trying to attack the car and it was crazy.

So we exited the compound, and waited for a "handler" to come, with a truck full of meat and bones, so he could ward off the dogs while we went back in and started the car with some jump leads and a battery.

While we were waiting ages for the handler, I started to wander around and started taking pics of this "NATO Camp Butmir 2" thinking it must be abandoned. As I got closer and closer, these red traffic lights started to blink and the two guys who were still back at the compound started shouting at me... I really didnt know any better, and then a warning shot was fired from the NATO base.... this was my cue to leave rather quickly!

So I managed to drive the car back to the hostel, and sheet up the window with some plastic and tape....

Was relaxing in Sarejevo, getting drunk that night and making new friends!

Then I left the next night which was Friday, at 10pm....

The journey to the northern border with Croatia, (slavonski Brod) took so so so long, as this fog had enveloped the entire country, meaning I had to drive very slowly as visibility was nil.
At all the borders, as the car was on the interpol list, it meant around an hour at each one, going through the paperwork before being allowed to continue...
I drove and drove solidly, but in Austria got hit by massive snow, and the same in Germany near munich and a few other places. This meant I had to drive solidly (almost) from Friday 10pm in Sarajevo until 12pm Sunday at DUnkirk!
As the car battery had been sitting discharged for so long, it was goosed, and each time I turned off the engine, I had a struggle to get the car to start... this happened a few times, and much panic was had, and the battery finally died completely in the queue for the ferry, and I had to get bump started to get on the boat...
After arriving in UK, I got stopped by customs, who FORCED me to turn off the engine, despite me telling them that I would need a jump start to get going again. After much faffing around I was on my way, and headed to Eurocarparts in Maidstone up the M20, and picked up a new battery, then headed up to Scotland, eventually getting in at 5am on the Monday!!!!!

I was done, spent, shattered, broken, but made it back!

Last edited by T16; 21st January 2016 at 11:29..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 11:07   #96
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

They should make a movie out of your trip experience
Glad you made it home safe with the car...
Old 21st January 2016, 11:15   #97
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

That is quite a story Ross, nightmarish in parts. Some pretty uncomfortable parts as well where you must have been afraid for your personal safety.

The experience with the "migrants" is less than edifying. Enough said.

You did get home safely with your beloved car, and I hope your possessions and passport too. All's well that ends well, but I doubt if anyone would want to endure what you have been through.

Good on you,
Fifer
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 11:20   #98
Cable Tie
Regional Secretary

Orange grove ztt cdti

Thanked 1,381 Times in 818 Posts

All for the love of our cars what an epic journey and story I take my hat off to you sir well done and well deserved sleep
Old 21st January 2016, 11:21   #99
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Wow. I could imagine with that lot going on, different country, translators needed, being shot at (nicely ), lack of sleep, it might get a wee bit surreal.

Glad you got her back. A lot of effort that others would not understand, but makes total sense to you and that's all that matters.

edit : Did they ever get the low lifes who did it? Or did a few Euro's get dropped on the floor accidentally to "forget it"?

Last edited by first-things-first; 21st January 2016 at 11:31..
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 11:25   #100
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Great story. How is the car. Did you get your stuff back. Did you just take the key?