Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd March 2016, 17:58   #41
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Yes that's right Richard, and the M47 has a forged crankshaft not a cast one.

Externally they look very similar, but you can't exchange one for another without a lot of work

Brian
I knew the 75/Zt had a cast crank, hence e the reason for you and the other 160 developers not taking it higher, but didn't realise that the BMW was different. until I read your post.
Old 22nd March 2016, 19:12   #42
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
I was always of the understanding it's because it has a cast crank rather than a forged one (as in the similar BMW engine) so the torque of the 160 map is about the safe limit but I have been wrong before

It is a shame, I've had the 160 map for 2 years now and while it's an extremely worthwhile addition I've never thought it made it a 'fast' car - don't get me wrong you can more than keep up with traffic with it but a little bit more would be nice..... but wouldn't it always
post number 5 in this thread - sometimes I really do wonder why I bother
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 16:57   #43
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
116 PS = 270Nm
131 PS = 300Nm
160 BHP (162 PS) = 359Nm

The biggest killer is airflow, you can inject more fuel, but it simply leads to black smoke

Also the clamping load of the clutch can be overcome with excessive torque

Finally the M47R has a cast crankshaft, not the forged item in the M47 variant, and you don't want to snap it in the centre main bearing journal, this I have come across on more than one occasion with cars in standard tune

Brian
359Nm is impressive, but it should be a lot quicker with that much torque.

Airflow can be corrected so you don't get black smoke, as I have already looked into that.

Clamping load of the clutch, do you mean for an automatic?
Will have to look into that.

Cast Crank - that's the worst bit of news, I didn't know that.

But surely a forged one can be made, a bit pricey I expect but not impossible.

I have done some investigating into this and yes, it's possible but the cost is prohibitive.

M47R crank is cast and has a 90mm stroke.
M47 is forged however it only has an 88mm stroke, too short.
M47N is also forged and has a 90mm stroke so could be an option to use but does need extra work because of the different set up of how it's bolted into the crank case.

You have to go searching on the BMW forums to find the answers but there are people who want to get more power out of their 320d engines!

However the main answer I have found is buy a car with a bigger engine in!

True, but I have always been one of these people that does enjoy getting the most out of the car, although I kept the 1.8T stock which is a first for me.

Last edited by Neil1; 23rd March 2016 at 17:45.. Reason: Found some more relevant information.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:20   #44
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
359Nm is impressive, but it should be a lot quicker with that much torque.

Airflow can be corrected so you don't get black smoke, as I have already looked into that.

Clamping load of the clutch, do you mean for an automatic?
Will have to look into that.

Cast Crank - that's the worst bit of news, I didn't know that.

But surely a forged one can be made, a bit pricey I expect but not impossible.
The only way to correct airflow is to allow more air to be compressed with a bigger turbo

If you were serious about this the M47 crank could be utilised, and clamping load refers to the pressure plate in a standard manual car.

When the 160 tunes were being developed, the criteria was to maintain reliability while improving driveability of an otherwise standard car.

Is your car a manual or an automatic then?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:45   #45
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

Thanks everyone. Thanks also to Brian to come on here and let us know the way it worked. Thanks again Thomas
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:07   #46
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
The only way to correct airflow is to allow more air to be compressed with a bigger turbo

If you were serious about this the M47 crank could be utilised, and clamping load refers to the pressure plate in a standard manual car.

When the 160 tunes were being developed, the criteria was to maintain reliability while improving driveability of an otherwise standard car.

Is your car a manual or an automatic then?

Brian
Sorry Brian I went off and found some more information and edited my post.

Quote:
That's not correct.
A turbo runs off exhaust gases.
Increasing the size of a turbo won't increase power delivery on it's own.
For a start, turbo lag will increase.
You have to make sure that the turbo is running at it's optimum, most don't even when they are new, car manufacturers are lazy they get in the ones that are set up to run at a generic level.

To increase airflow into an engine via the inlet manifold especially on the diesels which is of a poor design.....(again is designed to be cheap and efficient for the manufacturer and not for nutters like me who want more power)

Your remap although very good and I wouldn't dare upset you in any way whatsoever is designed for a standard car, which improves it's power delivery to a safe level.

The same 160 remap is on the ZT I bought off Matt, it does go well but it could go a lot better.
My own route is naturally the incoming air, work out a way of creating a ram air pipe which doesn't look hideous, research a different filter but not fit my favourite a K&N.
Sports exhaust and stick it on a rolling road.
Then see what else that can be done.

Yes, mine is an automatic.
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:57   #47
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

A friend of mine is running his M47R with some 180bhp through a custom map (bench-validated). The car is quick, no doubt, but as Brian pointed out, it does come out with quite a bit of black smoke on the exhaust...and the clutch is especially fragile with that kind of torque output. His clutch usually won't last more than 10.000 kms...
Old 24th March 2016, 10:58   #48
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoubix View Post
A friend of mine is running his M47R with some 180bhp through a custom map (bench-validated). The car is quick, no doubt, but as Brian pointed out, it does come out with quite a bit of black smoke on the exhaust...and the clutch is especially fragile with that kind of torque output. His clutch usually won't last more than 10.000 kms...
That's pretty good 180bhp, the black smoke can be reduced.

Surely a different clutch can be used?

For example a competition clutch.
Old 24th March 2016, 12:06   #49
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoubix View Post
Can you provide any more information on the car, modifications and perhaps the proof this please?
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 13:48   #50
longer86
Taking time out

R75

I was Read BMW forums about raising power... I found guy who changed injectors in BMW e46 320d and reached 200BHP but here is biggest difference between R and BMW. E46 have Garrett gt1749v with vnt.

My friend already bought some stuff.
Map sensor, EGR solenoid , ardunio and Garrett gt2052v from BMW tds.

Turbo mounting bolts are the same as in Rover 75.

First problem is to weld R75 exhaust with this turbo outlet using piece of pipe from BMW.

Vnt controlled by ardunio.

Turbo is bigger so could compress more air, vnt could reduce smoke and get better acceleration at low range of revs.

Will see is this good way, when he mount this stuff.

Ardunio is very good to control vnt boost , for example second friend minted vnt turbo in mg zs idt, and he also reached about 200bhp with 2 bar boost. I think that changing turbo is only way to get power. Also free exhaust by decat
longer86 is offline   Reply With Quote