Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th June 2016, 19:09   #21
YorksMG2013
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE & MG ZT 260

Default Mustang on WD

Thanks for comments folks.
I know (as has been said before) that WD makes good enteraiment, but depending on the car it can be interesting.
So has anyone considered changing gearing on a 260, or is that too complex/expensive?

Andrew
Now joined by the Blue Beast - MG ZT 260 #57 in Trophy Blue
YorksMG2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 19:30   #22
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
If you can, have a peer at Johnnys Motorsports on the old Facebook..

He is currently developing & selling a whipple Blower kit for just our engines .

C.
That is very interesting. Seems to be quite well priced too.
Wonder if a group buy would be an option.
Old 9th June 2016, 20:11   #23
sjr
Avid contributor

MG ZT 260 & Ford Mustang 5.0 GT

I have a modified 87 5.0 Mustang that I have modified over the last 14 years, it is really easy to chase BHP/torque increases, but sometimes the numbers go up, but the way the power band can sometimes move can make the car less enjoyable to drive.

I have made my Mustang much better, but at the same time much worse!!! I also discovered a lot of US parts rarely make the power they say they will.

I have a Trickflow intake manifold on the Mustang, it made more power at the top end, but I lost the lovely low down torque. I have also changed the final drive ratio, and would definitely not change it on the 260. When you start modifying, you often realise that the car manufacturer knows best.

You could look into remote turbos, mounted at the back of the car, but I feel the mod that would suit the 260 most, is a KB.

Cheers
SJR

Last edited by sjr; 9th June 2016 at 22:21..
sjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 21:04   #24
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
I have a modified 87 5.0 Mustang that I have modified over the last 14 years, it is really easy to chase BHP/torque increases, but sometimes the numbers go up, but the way the power band can sometimes move can make the car less enjoyable to drive.

I have made my Mustang much better, but at the same time much worse!!! I also discovered a lot of US parts rarely make the power they say they will.
Well put, I have seem many people with there Interceptors tune them thinking putting a bigger cam in and/or high flow heads and they will have a faster car. What they end up with a car that struggles to idle at less than 1000rpm and is a nightmare in traffic as there is little power below 2500 rpm. Manufactures spend millions designing the cars we drive, yes there will always be a compromise but a bit of advice I was given years ago is if you are modifying a car modify it to how you NEED it not how you WANT it.

You only look at the average speed most of us drive at to see what we NEED.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 08:39   #25
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

I take on board the varying opinions with regards to tuning.

Whilst I can't say I'm not doing it for the powaaaaar, I kinda enjoy the engineering and thought that goes into tweaking an engine.

Car manufacturers make motors for the average Joe and to meet whatever goals they have in mind. For example, the K turbo was deliberately taken below what the engines actual sweet spot was so that it wouldn't compete with the V6. I'd suggest that it is very rare for a manufacturer to build a car right up to its tolerances.

These little gains are there for the taking and I believe 400bhp in a supercharged 260 is right on the money with regards to performance, handling and general drive-ability.
Old 19th June 2016, 22:16   #26
damienp
This is my second home

skoda estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke666 View Post
I just looked on the Kenne bell website and the supercharger kit is $4999 so not a bad price.
For years people have said that the only way to improve a 260 is to buy a KB. They were right. After my trauma with the trickflow kit i placed an order for the KB kit, which was on 18th March this year. It cost £4013 (which includes delivery).
It has taken 3 months for the KB kit to get to the UK!! There's another £982 import duty to pay - which i will do on wednesday this week.
When it finally arrives, it's off to John Sleaths to be booked in for fitting and tuning.

Good luck - which ever way you decide to go.
damienp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 12:24   #27
sjr
Avid contributor

MG ZT 260 & Ford Mustang 5.0 GT

Please let us know how you get on with regard to the map.

SJR
sjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 21:26   #28
ianbstag
Loves to post

MG ZT 260 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienp View Post
When it finally arrives, it's off to John Sleaths to be booked in for fitting and tuning.
Hi Damien, what sort of price is John Sleath charging for fitting and mapping these days?

A ball park figure is fine, I'm just trying to weigh up how long until I can justify the cost!

If John Sleath is not too expensive, then I can see an early X-mas pressie for myself

One way or another, I WILL have a blower fitted!
ianbstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 21:22   #29
damienp
This is my second home

skoda estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbstag View Post
Hi Damien, what sort of price is John Sleath charging for fitting and mapping these days?

A ball park figure is fine
£1k was what i was quoted yesterday. But that's a ball park figure.
damienp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 12:00   #30
colin39
Regular poster

none at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke666 View Post
I take on board the varying opinions with regards to tuning.

Whilst I can't say I'm not doing it for the powaaaaar, I kinda enjoy the engineering and thought that goes into tweaking an engine.

Car manufacturers make motors for the average Joe and to meet whatever goals they have in mind. For example, the K turbo was deliberately taken below what the engines actual sweet spot was so that it wouldn't compete with the V6. I'd suggest that it is very rare for a manufacturer to build a car right up to its tolerances.

These little gains are there for the taking and I believe 400bhp in a supercharged 260 is right on the money with regards to performance, handling and general drive-ability.
Daft question, but why cant i look at your mgzt300 build thread?

Colin
colin39 is offline   Reply With Quote