Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd January 2017, 10:33   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Carpet fitting cost

Hall, stair and landing in a normal sized semi.. Old carpet would be already cleared out, no need for underlay or gripper strips. Carpet is waiting ready to fit, in my garage - how much please?

The guy (carpet fitter) who took the 'new' carpet out from a friends house, quoted us £50/£60 to fit it, but has messed us about over fitting it since before Christmas. It is like new Axminster.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:54   #2
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

We had a hall/stairs/landing carpet fitted last year and that cost us £35 for fitting.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 15:11   #3
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

I paid £230 for the following:
  • Fit underlay
  • Fit new grippers (where necessary) and dividers
  • Carpet stairs
  • Carpet landing
  • Carpet three large double bedrooms

The chap was round for 6.5 hours and did a superb job. All waste cleared and the new carpet was hoovered.
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:23   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanks all, fitting is much cheaper than I had expected. Its the sort of job I would normally do myself, not knowing how cheap it was - but its not worth the struggle for that.

I just thought the guy was messing me about, because he had under quoted what he could do it for. The original carpet is not that old, it is just that a dog we had wrecked it soon after it was fitted, chewing it . So underlay and spiky strips should be fine for the 'new' carpet.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 29th January 2017, 16:43   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Default Update..

I was eventually told by a carpet fitter friend of his, that he had likely gone away on holiday (nice of the guy to tell me he would be away). His friend offered to do the job and initially said it likely wouldn't fit/ he woud want half as much again as #1, then said he would take a proper look today. In the mean time I took time out to measure it accurately and ensure it would fit, it would but with one short join. He didn't show today so I rang him, he said he had been busy so would ring me tomorrow to arrange to come round.

Thinking I was being let down again I rang #3. #3 refused to quote without seeing it and if he were to do it, he would need to take the carpet back to his base to cut it anyway. The carpet is in my garage, plenty of space in the garage to cut it and on a fine day a massive flat drive too.

What is wrong with carpet fitters that they treat customers like this over a simple job? This is why I DIY so much, it is so much less stressful and quicker.. I have always been one who would never let anyone down with an arrangement I had agreed to!

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 29th January 2017 at 16:51..
Old 29th January 2017, 19:34   #6
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
What is wrong with carpet fitters that they treat customers like this over a simple job? This is why I DIY so much, it is so much less stressful and quicker.. I have always been one who would never let anyone down with an arrangement I had agreed to!
Its not just carpet fitters its a lot of trade people! I'm trying to give someone a commerical cleaning contract and they can't even be bother replying to texts/answering emails/phone. Some people deserve to go bust!
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 12:40   #7
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I had the same problem of having a carpet fitted just before Christmas. Just for a lounge @ 20 S/meters had quotes of around £280 to £350 but all with a 2 week lead time.

Eventually found the same carpet with top-end underlay for £120 delivered.
Bought a carpet kicker for £24, and fitted it a couple of hours with my 17 year old daughters help.
No quadrant used and no gaps at the skirting, so all good.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 19:16   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
Eventually found the same carpet with top-end underlay for £120 delivered.
Bought a carpet kicker for £24, and fitted it a couple of hours with my 17 year old daughters help.
No quadrant used and no gaps at the skirting, so all good.
That is what I am thinking I might have to do - DIY. Another promise of a visit to take a look by #2 for today and so far, a none appearance. A #3 has promised to ring before dropping in to take a look, but sounds as if he wants to make a real meal of it.

The original hall, stair and landing carpet was all laid, done and dusted in 3 hours with no fuss at all.

[UPDATE] A phone call from #2 (he said he was coming round to take a proper look) to say he can maybe do it in 3 weeks. He is saying he wants £80 minimum to lay it and it may be much more, depending on how much adaption it needs. It says it will not be easy (rubbish) - I have measured it all up, drawn it out to scale and it all fits with the pile in the correct direction. It just needs one single joint, in a short passage the width of a door. He is claiming the pile is required to all go the same way and the pattern to match perfectly - BY LAW.

Old 5th February 2017, 12:28   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

I gave up, life is just too short to waste on waiting for carpet fitters...

#1, #2 and #3 all let me down.

I made a carpet kicker from wood, a dozen screw points poking out at the end, a sandwich of wood at the knee end, padded with some foam for my knee and got on with it - it works well. Its taken two days, lots of aches and pains and a few plasters for the nicks and cuts, but its down all bar a couple of bits of trimming which I will finish off today - bottom step has a curved bit to cover and a joint to figure out how to make across a short corridor on the landing.

Not my sort of work at all, I'm happier with nuts and bolts and bits of wire.