Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Items Wanted
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th February 2017, 11:00   #1
JORDING

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Cowley spec navigation disc drive for Highline

Hi all,

I recently became the owner of a 1999 (T) 75 connie with nearly every toy imaginable. Upon viewing the car I looked in the boot to find the Navigation disc drive missing and just the two connectors sticking out.

I have been looking on ebay but the only ones I can find are from later Longbridge cars and look a little different.

Is there anyone that knows of an early working disc drive i could purchase or know where i can get one?

There seems to be certain BMW navigation system disc drive that looks identical but just says BMW across the front, will these also just plug in and work perfectly?

Thanks in advance.
JORDING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 12:30   #2
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

You can use any of the Rover 75 drives in your car, either the so-called MkII which you car originally had, or the MkIII ones which were fitted in cars from MY2001 on. Each is a plug-n-play replacement for your original one, the only physical difference being that MkII drives such as the one you had in your car, the GPS antenna connects to a separate amplifier which, in turn, connects to the drive. On MkIII drives the antenna connects directly to the drive. So you just need to disconnect your antenna plug from that amplifier and connect it directly to the back of the MkIII drive. Your antenna amplifier can then be removed or left in the car, but in any case, is no longer used with a MkIII drive.

The MkIII drive provides much better performance than the MkII one so you're all better looking for one of those.

Alternatively those are identical to the ones fitted to BMWs of the same era (E46 3-series, E39 5-series, 1st gen X5, etc...). You can use any BMW drive as well, including the MkIV which our cars never had from factory, and use a DVD drive for maps. They provide, again, much improved performance, and use Europe maps discs on a couple of DVDs while the MkII and MkIII use a couple of CDROMs now for each major country.
Old 9th February 2017, 12:43   #3
JORDING

Rover 75 Saloon

Thank you for the thorough reply! As soon as i posted, a disc drive from a 1999 car came up on ebay so i snapped it up. I know there are better systems but i would like to keep the car as original as possible.

Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 13:33   #4
pm77
Gets stuck in

Volvo XC70 D5 AWD Auto

Finding an original 1999 sat nav disc is going to be hard to find though... and probably follow reliably
Old 9th February 2017, 13:41   #5
JORDING

Rover 75 Saloon

Ive managed to get a genuine Rover disc from 2000/1 which should work in theory.

I know the navigation will be really naff and i wont probably use it but its nice to have it complete and (hopefully) working.
Old 9th February 2017, 14:43   #6
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JORDING View Post
Ive managed to get a genuine Rover disc from 2000/1 which should work in theory.

I know the navigation will be really naff and i wont probably use it but its nice to have it complete and (hopefully) working.
You can still buy up-to-date discs from BMW and, at least, have navigational data that is up to date...if not for the software itself.
I had a MkII drive in my 75 myself (1999 Cowley-built) and replaced with a MkIII and then later a MkIV. The MkIV is very much usable still today and provides useful navigation, including vocal instructions with named highways and the likes. The MKIV latest software dates back to 2006 so clearly outdated, yet BMW navigation units have always been among the most effective ones. In fact I still prefer this MkIV system to more recent ones I had to use of late.
Old 9th February 2017, 14:53   #7
pm77
Gets stuck in

Volvo XC70 D5 AWD Auto

Just for info, no more CD updates after 2015 for MK II/III. The MKIV still has new updates on the DVD's. BMW will charge the earth for the discs, there are alternative methods of getting the newest software .
Old 9th February 2017, 15:07   #8
JORDING

Rover 75 Saloon

All i wanted was to get the navigation working, its going to be a project car and then be used occasionally. If i did need sat nav i would use the TomTom i have as thats simpler and more user friendly than these older BMW nav systems, the current BMW iDrive system is very good and simple to use but it has taken them years to get right.