Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th April 2020, 11:55   #11
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by surprisingskoda View Post
I have seen many wheels where this is the only option left. It's the consequence of people with absolutely zero mechanical knowledge or sympathy being employed to do a safety-critical job for minimum wage by high street PLCs.
I still don't believe it is the answer, it is never the only way of removing an offending fastener.
Use a tig welder to apply local heat to the head of the fastener enough to soak into it. This will relieve a lot of tension and I would bet this will allow most if not all to be removed provided they arent damaged. If they are damaged you may be able to knock a socket on or use a stud removing socket on it. You would probably have a lot of luck using the tig process, an autogenous weld would likely be good enough. A half decent welder may also help, anyone can point and squirt.
If not there are such things as gouging electrodes for stick welders so if you've got a steady hand and you protect the wheel with something like thin steel or aluminium there will be very little damage caused to the wheel.

This is the problem with many garages, no real engineering employed just the easy option without necessarily thinking it through.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2020, 12:02   #12
bilsan330
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Estate

Default could not get the wheel off.

Well guys I have got my car back minus a wheel or rather a wheel cut in half.

The garage said it was the only thing they could do...The locking wheel nut was completely stripped of the serrated inside thread....so the locking nut that you put in just turns around..They explain they tried everything.

I dont really have a problem with that got me out of trouble found a new wheel and tyre £55.00 and to cut the wheel of £40.00..

However for all the rover guys out there what would you have done to get the serrated locking bolt out.
bilsan330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2020, 12:44   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilsan330 View Post
Well guys I have got my car back minus a wheel or rather a wheel cut in half.

The garage said it was the only thing they could do...The locking wheel nut was completely stripped of the serrated inside thread....so the locking nut that you put in just turns around..They explain they tried everything.

I dont really have a problem with that got me out of trouble found a new wheel and tyre £55.00 and to cut the wheel of £40.00..

However for all the rover guys out there what would you have done to get the serrated locking bolt out.
The last time this happened to me was my wife's car soon after purchase, and like yours was fitted with a type 12 splined locking wheel nut.

I used a hexagonal sump plug key which I belted into the stripped locking nut, then wound it out with a different size socket, something like this......

Up there for thinking, down there for dancing Bill

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2020, 15:06   #14
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
In truth who needs locking wheel bolts these days? when did you last see a set of wheels get stolen? They are more likely to take the whole car.

I took the locking nuts off mine and replaced them with standards some years ago . Locking nuts just look too flimsy to me !
Old 29th April 2020, 18:42   #15
bilsan330
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Estate

Default Cant get the wheel off.

Thanks guys for your posts. I have certainly learn a hard lesson....because lucky it was not in the middle of a raining night on a deserted road somewhere.

I have now gone all round my car and loosen and tighten back up the wheel nuts taken the locking nuts out and replaced them with normal ones.

I cant fault the AA patrol guys they tried their hardest to turn the stripped locking nut.out...Filled up the flat tyre with the tyre weld and followed me to my local garage. The only down side is gone are the days they would give you a lift to the bus station or home. because of this NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- virus......cant help thinking how the relay service is going function with no one allowed in the cabs....
bilsan330 is offline   Reply With Quote