Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

View Poll Results: What power source would you choose on a new car ?
Diesel 5 16.67%
Full Electric 5 16.67%
Hybrid 10 33.33%
Petrol 10 33.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th July 2020, 16:40   #1
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Default Daughter's new car - petrol or hybrid ?

Not remotely 75 related but I am interested in folks thinking .
My daughter is looking to buy her next new car , smallish 5 door type . Diesel or full electric are out , not under consideration at all , so the question is for say the next 3 years which is the better choice - petrol or hybrid , and why ?
She does not often travel long distance but does a lot of city commuting and travels to clients a bit . She buys her cars as opposed to lease or other deals. For a bit of fun I am attaching a poll of all 4 types ; if you were buying a new car which power source would you buy ?
Old 17th July 2020, 17:55   #2
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

My choice would really depend on what budget was available- if money was no object the. A Tesla type vehicle.

But anything with a reasonable range is silly money!
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2020, 18:34   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Why buy a ‘liars’ car (electric) that is supposed to do 230 miles on a charge, but only does 180 at best, and that is this warm time of the year. What will it do in the winter when the cold prevails? Think about it:- lights on, heater on, rear window on? Can not wait to see what happens when the roads get blocked by broken down electric cars in bad snowing conditions. Trouble is, it will also affect those with the more sensible vehicle .
Old 17th July 2020, 19:23   #4
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I’d get petrol as the alternatives are still more costly, but depends what her budget is and her worldview is...
Old 17th July 2020, 19:30   #5
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

Think about the new all electric corsa or peugeot 208e as small electric cars handy for city driving
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2020, 21:08   #6
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Petrol all the way without a second thought hybrid or electric!
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2020, 21:43   #7
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Petrol until the new technology improves on EV's.
Bought my wife a petrol BMW as she does only 4k per year. ULEZ compliant too. Dirty diesels and rubbish electric cars are making petrol cars look good again.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 18th July 2020, 01:53   #8
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Why buy a ‘liars’ car (electric) that is supposed to do 230 miles on a charge, but only does 180 at best, and that is this warm time of the year. What will it do in the winter when the cold prevails? Think about it:- lights on, heater on, rear window on? Can not wait to see what happens when the roads get blocked by broken down electric cars in bad snowing conditions. Trouble is, it will also affect those with the more sensible vehicle .
Why buy a 'liars' car (diesel) that emits so much muck from the back that manufacturers fit cheat devices, breaks down all the time if you only do city driving and does only a fraction of it's claimed fuel economy?

To justify my comments:
A) VW - enough said
B) Any modern diesel has a particulate filter which has to get very warm to regenerate. If you only do short trips or city driving this never happens and eventually the car either breaks down or goes into limp home mode. My Father had exactly this happen with a 2011 Skoda he bought, ran it for about a year before getting fed up with the orange light and breaking down all the time.
C) I've had many diesel cars and so far none of them got anywhere near the claimed MPG. My last (Volvo V90) should have been doing around 50mpg however it's average over 15k was just 36! In fact even on a run of 250 miles, mostly on motorways driving like a nun I still only managed to get 46mpg.

If you have the ability to charge at home and a daily commute of less then 140 miles total then electric is the obvious answer. Since getting the MG we've been staggered by how cheap it is to run, we've now done almost 800 miles and so far it's taken a grand total of £16 worth of power. We've also been surprised by just how easy it is to charge and live with, plus free power whilst shopping is a nice bonus!

As for breaking down all the time, well that's yet to happen and given that the furthest it has to go in a day is 60 miles and it has a real world range of about 150 I'm happy we have a decent margin there. I can honestly say I'm more likely to break down in either my 16 year old SLK or 30 year old Rover then I am in the new MG.
Old 18th July 2020, 06:23   #9
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Just doing short journeys I would discount a diesel due to potential dpf problems which like longer journeys to regenerate. Saying that, new petrol cars have gpf’s and allthough should regenerate easier by controlling the amount of oxygen can still need a forced regen. We bought an Ioniq hybrid last year and it’s an amazing bit of kit, petrol and electric so no range anxiety. It all depends on budget and if there is the ability to install a home charger I certainly wouldn’t discount full electric. I generally find the people that dismiss full electric haven’t driven one. I’ve been more involved with EV’s in the last three years and it’s the future of cars wether we like it or not. Embrace it and move forward

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 18th July 2020 at 08:25.. Reason: Spelling
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2020, 06:40   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
My choice would really depend on what budget was available- if money was no object the. A Tesla type vehicle.

But anything with a reasonable range is silly money!
Was weighing in some iron at the local scrappy the other day and in front of me was a Tesla Model X. When the chap lifted the doors it was full of scrap - nice white leather seats too all loaded up.

Apparently it was a company car.

When I looked at the mountain of metal in the yard every car in the pile was newer than the Hippo I turned up in.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote