Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2020, 09:24   #41
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
The FFS episode made no effect on the running issue - just as bad both before & after, so I'm confident it's not the filter.
Hello Mike,

As you've not found the cause of your problems yet, and they do match fuel starvation, would you consider attaching a gauge to the fuel line? Your engine needs 3.5 bar.

Simon
Old 24th July 2020, 13:17   #42
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

I have thought about doing that, but I'm not sure what type the connection on the end of the fuel rail is? Had a quick look and it didn't look like a schrader type?

I disagree that it's fuel starvation, if anything I'd say its the complete opposite, as it stinks of unburned fuel when it's running rough, and generally feels bogged down at low revs when driving - but is fine at higher revs.

Regardless though, I do think fuel pressure is a good one to look at if I can work out how.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2020, 18:48   #43
SD1too

Quote:
... I'm not sure what type the connection on the end of the fuel rail is? Had a quick look and it didn't look like a schrader type?
Does this help?
Quote:
I disagree that it's fuel starvation, if anything I'd say its the complete opposite, as it stinks of unburned fuel when it's running rough, and generally feels bogged down at low revs when driving - but is fine at higher revs.
So do you think it's an ignition problem then? I see that you haven't tried new coil packs. Misfiring is a classic symptom of a failing ignition module and it would disguise itself as a rich mixture.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 24th July 2020 at 18:52..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2020, 20:28   #44
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Thanks Simon, that link is helpful - will need to acquire a pressure gauge with tube but that's no hardship.

I don't think it's an ignition issue, as everything feels normal higher up the rev range. It feels very choked up below c. 2500rpm then frees up. Just about everything I've read suggests weak/failing coils would show up more at high speed when there's less charging time and cylinder pressures are higher. Coil packs aren't actually that old, 5years max, and were fine until the ported head/metal manifold went on.
Old 24th July 2020, 22:13   #45
SD1too

Quote:
... and were fine until the ported head/metal manifold went on.
I've reviewed the whole thread to try to get a clear picture. You have a VVC manifold and a replacement head which has been ported. You've also been struggling with this for a month.

How about putting the engine back to standard? Can you refit your factory cylinder head and inlet manifold? i haven't seen any mention of changes to the exhaust system or fuelling to complement the modified head and inlet manifold.

Simon
Old 25th July 2020, 13:39   #46
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

I've actually been battling with this for nearer 18 months Simon, initially with a set of 135 cams fitted which were then removed to eliminate them.
While I do still have the original head, it's pretty much scrap having been skimmed multiple times, and needs all the valve stem seals replacing - so I'd rather not put it back in.

Having spoken with the well regarded K-series tuning experts like DVAPower and KMaps, they're all in agreement that porting/manifold alone would not cause this issue, and when they tune they stay away from adjusting idle settings (other than idle speed and properly setting the IACV/ HOTDPOS value in T4).

It also wouldn't explain the intermittent reluctance to start, nor the gradual worsening of symptoms.

I will have a go at exploring the fuel side of things - but again, it doesn't seen to really fit the bill for fuel starvation. Yes it can struggle to start, but will then be fine at high revs which surely necessitates a higher fuel demand??
Old 25th July 2020, 13:54   #47
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I had a quick scan through your posts and you haven't mentioned changing the plug leads. I've had several cars where the leads have broken down over time. The graphite leads tend to harden and crack, forcing the spark to have to make several jumps before it gets to the plug. May be worth a few quid to eliminate them? I've found cars to be transformed by this simple swap!
Old 13th August 2020, 18:30   #48
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Thread revival!

I've given the car a good solid 3 weeks of going to work every day (or in other words, I haven't had time to do anything), and the codes I've read off just now are
P1300 - Boost Calibration Malfunction
P1316 - Misfire increase emissions
P1590 - ???

Plus 2 not relevant ones
P0501 - speed sensor (suspect one of the rear wheel bearings/ABS)
P1520 - every K-series has this dummy error.

So not much to go on...if anyone has any bright ideas I'd love to hear!
Old 16th August 2020, 08:55   #49
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Boost sensor is a strange one as yours is an 1800 nasp isn’t it? I suppose it could be map related but I’d expect a map related fault over boost. Are you running the correct ecu? What are you using to read the codes? My gut feeling allthough a lot of work is to refit to standard and try

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2020, 10:05   #50
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
What are you using to read the codes? My gut feeling allthough a lot of work is to refit to standard ...

Quote:
P1300 - Boost Calibration Malfunction
P1316 - Misfire increase emissions
P1590 - ???
Michael, I thought you'd like to know RAVE's description of these codes:

P1300 = misfire detected sufficient to cause catalyst damage
P1316 = misfire causing excess emissions
P1590 = not listed

They don't really help you do they.

Simon