Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd February 2021, 17:50   #1
themeanmachine

MG ZT 1.8

Default Wet front drivers footwell carpet

Hi all,

I had been looking at why my boot release button wasn't working. Found it full of water. Duly dried out and re-soldered and all working again.

On to the next problem... The water leak. I only got the car a couple of weeks ago and did the usual plenum drain rodding and chopped the tapered end off so it doesn't clog again. At least 3-4in of standing water drained out. So that all seems fine.

Is there anywhere else that water commonly leaks into the drivers front footwell area? I read about scuttle clips so took the whole scuttle panel off and smeared the top edges of them with silicone, didn't remove them however as they seemed well in there...

The carpet was saturated so seems like it may still be coming in but I know the foam can hold water for ages so it may have just been the plenum? No sunroof to worry about.

Advice appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by themeanmachine; 3rd February 2021 at 17:59..
themeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2021, 22:10   #2
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Have you checked the rear carpet under the passenger seat and rear seat?
I had a leak from the rear lights as rear screen and with not using the car during lockdown last year it wasn’t noticed.
What had happened was the water had run down the passenger side of the boot, down the side of the sound proofing and then started running under the rear seat and down into the rear footwell. Over the course of 3 months, it had soaked down to the front footwell and was only noticed when mould was seen.
I managed to fix the leaks and dry the carpet out but a few days later they were damp again so I lifted up the carpet at the side and was shocked to see the footwells under the carpet backing was under a good half inch of water front and rear. I ended up removing the carpets fully to dry them out and to get all the water out. In total from the floor of the car I took out 2.5 ltrs of water not including what was in the carpets.
Everything is bone dry now and has remained so for 6 weeks. No idea how long the leak had been going on for but wasn’t noticed as it didn’t run into the spare tyre well so could have been happening for months if not longer.
Old 4th February 2021, 06:18   #3
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Do you have a sunroof? If so it could be the drain tube
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 07:42   #4
themeanmachine

MG ZT 1.8

No sunroof. Checked the passenger side and rears but all seems dry as does the boot. The foam panel that goes up the bulkhead behind the pedals is also saturated so certainly seems to be coming down from up there.
themeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 08:43   #5
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by themeanmachine View Post
No sunroof. Checked the passenger side and rears but all seems dry as does the boot. The foam panel that goes up the bulkhead behind the pedals is also saturated so certainly seems to be coming down from up there.
Then it could be 1 of 3 things.
1. The windscreen seal has blown letting the water in. Only needs to be slightly bigger than a pin hole to let enough water out over time to soak the carpets.
2. The heater has holed out and leaking into the carpet.
3. When the Plenum has been blocked the water level was higher than 1st seen and has entered the car via a rubber grommet or by soaking through the pollen filter and leaking out into the car that way.
Old 4th February 2021, 09:15   #6
max1
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer cdt

Take a look at the rubber grommet where the master cylinder pipe passes through the bulkhead. It could be missing or not located correctly, if so when the plenum is blocked, it acts as an overflow. Sometimes saves the ECU from having a swim, but you end up with very wet feet and carpets.
I know this, as it happened to me.
max1 is offline   Reply With Quote