Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th February 2021, 14:00   #11
johnnyjazz1954
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

what about the boot handle, mine leaked did everything under the sun to fix it,
the boot handle always felt a bit flimsy so took the trim off ,nicked it up the bolts seems to have stopped..
Just a thought cos we all know water settles at its lowest point ..

John
johnnyjazz1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 08:10   #12
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
The serious water ingress into my V8 saloon drove me nuts for nearly a year. Did everything mentioned in the forums. Huge result with Arctic's tips, but it still leaked. I tried paper, UV dyes, replaced and sealed all the 8 trim clips under the rear window, everything else you've done Rick. When I silicone sealed the entire boot seal and adjusted the compression on the seal with the boot closed, that did the trick for me. With heavy rain the water flow from the roof overwhelms the boot seal unless it's perfect. I ended up having to seal a brand new boot seal, so if yours is old, check no cracks/splits anywhere and the holes are on the inside. Heavy rain would overwhelm a dodgy seam so I'd definitely try Trikey's tip. I have a bottle of Captain Tolley's ready for the next leak, but nothing so far on the V8 lol. I do unfortunately have a small leak in the rear of the tourer with damp carpet on both sides and ending up in the wheel well. That's be my next project when I find time. Good luck. Watching this thread with great interest.
It's definitely not the boot seal on ours, although I've already sealed this as did find a small bit of water was seeping through past the underside of the seal when testing for leaks. This car has had a few boot leaks over the years and they'd always been easy to find. This is the first time I cant find the leak at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Rick. I had a leak from where the nearside rear wing joined the panel that formed the boot by the hinge .I sprayed some wd40 on where the joint is, and it came straight through onto some kitchen towel I had put under the joint. I then got my waxoyle out, and used a brush to force it down into the said join by the boot hinge. Never had anymore trouble with water getting in. Just try it. Costs next to nothing and five minutes of your valuable time.
I've already sealed all along there from the rear screen to the tail light. isn't coming from there unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjazz1954 View Post
what about the boot handle, mine leaked did everything under the sun to fix it,
the boot handle always felt a bit flimsy so took the trim off ,nicked it up the bolts seems to have stopped..
Just a thought cos we all know water settles at its lowest point ..

John
No definitely not coming from the boot handle. Had a check of the 4 studs from the plinth and they're completely dry.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 08:24   #13
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

So applied a bit more sealant in the bottom left corner of the rear screen where the black trim all the along the bottom of the windscreen finishes under the chrome trim, and applied a bit more over the joint in the metal at the top left between the bottom of the rear screen and the boot seal and that seems to have stopped the leak coming through the joint in the metal on the underside in the boot as that now appears to be staying dry (would be wet before when I'd touch the black sealant over that joint).

So this leak hopefully has now stopped

However there is still a lot of water leaking into the boot in the same spot and have found water to be leaking from here:

Water is leaking through higher up somewhere and is running down the metal and then dripping down from here. As the gap up there is pretty small I can't get my hand up there or see up there to follow where the water is coming from.

Where could the leak be that would run the water to here?

The whole left side of the boot where the seam joins the boot to the rear quarter has been thoroughly sealed from the tail light to the rear screen. The bottom windscreen clips have been sealed with overkill. The side windscreen clips look like rivets? and had a check of those whilst I had the chrome trim off and doesn't look like there's any chance water could be leaking through them.

we only had drizzly light rain last night and still this much water in the boot again this morning.

Old 7th February 2021, 11:55   #14
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I'm also pulling my hair out (what little is left!) but I think just sealing that joint from the inside might stop the water getting onto you boot liner but it's forming a nice incubation site for rust to cook away between the spot welded lap joints; try and find/seal the outside of the same joint otherwise nasty issues down the line.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 19:28   #15
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Read most of this thread but may have missed something. Just seen assistance springs on the boot struts, are these maybe holding the lid off the seal?
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 19:37   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Read most of this thread but may have missed something. Just seen assistance springs on the boot struts, are these maybe holding the lid off the seal?
Give that man a gold star, the auto boot lift mod causes the exact type of leaks you are experiencing Rick.

I had this on the ZT, removed the spring set up, refitted the standard gas struts and the problem disappeared overnight.

Best of luck

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 22:22   #17
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Give that man a gold star, the auto boot lift mod causes the exact type of leaks you are experiencing Rick.

I had this on the ZT, removed the spring set up, refitted the standard gas struts and the problem disappeared overnight.

Best of luck

Brian
Surely it can't be the boot springs if its not leaking from the boot seal? Its leaking from a different area as shown in the pics above. The water seems to be running down from the bottom left of the windscreen area and then dripping from the point highlighted in my last reply.
Old 7th February 2021, 23:06   #18
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Rick, my saloon (no sunroof) is dripping from same place but on the offside. I have tried all the suggestions on this forum but it is still dripping. I have removed the trim from the rear window and thoroughly cleaned under the edge of the glass. When it is dry I am going to completely fill the gap all round the rear window with sealer. I will let you know if it fixes the leak.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2021, 19:25   #19
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Rick. I still think that your problem is the joint I referred to before. The one between the rear wing, where the hinge for the boot lid is bolted to the side. Try this. Pull the side panel away from the side concerned. Put you hand up underneath the side of the wing inside the boot. You will feel a bracket. Feel on the top of that to see if it is wet. If it is dry, put some kitchen towel on the top of it, and then spray WD40 into the joint between the wing and where the hinge mechanism is. Spray all along that joint, and if you give it a couple of minutes, you may find that the towelling is wet. You have found your leak. That’s how I found mine. I used a half inch brush and forced a lot of Waxoyle down into the joint. No more leaks now. This was on the KV6. Best of luck.
Old 9th February 2021, 22:50   #20
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

R75 1.8 Con SE Man Saloon

Rick, I had very similar symptoms which appeared to be the same seam. The cure consisted of:

1:Rotating the bump stops on the boot lid inwards half a turn;
2: Removing the seal around the boot opening, cleaning out all the old sealant and smearing silicone sealant around the lip before replacing the seal; pushing it down really hard over the lip and tapping with a rubber mallet to force it down onto the metal
3: Smearing more sealant under the edge of the seal and wiping off the excess

No. 1 stopped most of the leak and No.2 seems to be a complete cure following last week's heavy rain but will know for sure when this week's snow melts as I have deliberately let it pile up on the bootlid as a test.

I expect you have done all or most of this already...